psu good enough for 1060?

killaDZA

i have a dell 365 watt psu that is gold rated and i just bought a evga sc 1060 6gb which takes a 6 pin and says minimum 400w psu on the box. ive had it installed for about a day with no shut downs, but im worried its being throttled(bottlenecked?) by not getting enough power. 

so obviously you would say, "buy a new psu with more watts" the problem is dell uses proprietary parts, so i would have to use an adapter (im including pics of the adapter i bought). its not exactly the most professional looking job.

so tldr,

1)is it better to run the 1060 with the stock 365w gold rated psu, or use the adapter and get a higher watt psu? 

2) is there a way to measure how many watts my pc is using? 

3)is there some things i can do to make sure my gpu is performing at its best? ( replaces 750ti, i uninstalled all the old drivers before i upgraded and i use geforce experience to "optimize" games i am playing)

any help or info is greatly appreciated. thanks

i5 4690 3.5ghz cpu, 16g ram, 500g ssd, 1tb hdd

1508517859693353772545.jpg

1508517897818188260626.jpg

15085179169281023641061.jpg

Put ur system specs on pcpartpicker.com then check how many watts is required and if its lower than 365 ur probably ok but you cant do any overclocking on anything.

Can you make a Picture of the PSU itself? Best would be the Datasheet on it ^^

Should work, as long the PSU is technically not "shit".

Btw, ignore those Calculators, they only give you a VERY rough estimation.

Let me give you my values:

I am using an i7 6700k @ 4.4 Ghz, 1 SSD, 2 HDDs, 2x 8gb Ram 2666 Mhz, 2 Case Fans. I had a GTX 1060 MSI Gaming X (consumes a few Watt more than usual stock 1060s).

GTX 1060 @ stock: 210-220 Watt power pulled out of the Wall (I have a measurement device between PSU and Wall). Not ignoring the PSU Efficiency, the Computer itself would consume like 200~ Watts there. Which is somewhat, what your Computer will draw (even if you moderately Overclock your CPU without going nuts on the Voltage).

Edit: GPU Voltage was 1.05 Volt (Standard for Pascal cards) and around 1976 Mhz~ or something like that. 4000 Mhz Memory. But i OCed it to 4500 Mhz~.

I did try max-efficiency Mode tho. CTRL / STRG + F in Afterburner, and use Curve Editor. I used a minimum 0.800 Volt Undervolt, which resulted in around 1850-1875 Mhz~ Core clock stable.

Power consumption of the whole computer went down to 150-160 Watt according to device.

My GTX 1060 ALONE went from 130-140w~ (Stock) down to like 85-90w, according to HwInfo64.

So yea, my whole Computer with an undervolted GTX 1060 + i7 6700k @ 4.4 Ghz consumed less than 150~ Watt total.

Game tested was Rise of the Tomb Raider in 1080p Ultra. In Order to NOT let V-Sync cap any fps, i used SSAA x4, which droped the fps to like 30-35 fps, so the GPU was indeed running at a clean 100% usage.

Edit 2: A CPU / GPU  can NOT be bottlenecked by any means from a PSU, by "not getting enough power".

Your Computer components are drawing as much power, as they need.

There are only 2 options:

1. Your PSU is able to deliver, what your Computer needs --> everything is ok.

2. Your PSU is NOT able to deliver, what your Computer needs --> PC will instantly shut down (PSU's Overvolt/overcurrent/etc etc etc safety thingys will activate.

tl;dr answers:

1. A good 365w PSU will have more than enough power - IF IT'S GOOD. If it's a cheapshit, might not work that well.

2. Yes. Buy a Current measurement device, and plug it between PSU and Wall.

3. Put it in, delete drivers with DDU, reinstall latest driver. Maybe, and i highly recommend that (because the EVGA Gaming SC isn't that good cooled. The Cooler itself is fine, but VRMs and VRAMs are running quite hot) you use Undervolting to reduce heat output by a good margin. Use a healthy combination of Undervolt and Overclock, instead of "just pushing everything to the max". I recommend something like... 2000 Mhz with 0.9 Volt ? Or try 0.850 - 0.875 Volt, with around 1950 Mhz~. And finetune untill it's stable (Firestrike please, or Witcher 3 in higher resolutions in Skellige forest. do NOT use Furmark, Heaven or Valley.). That will give you a healthy performance, while also keeping Heat output quite low, and also noise.

Maybe even go with a somewhat stock 1850 Mhz, and only 0.8 volt, and never hear your Card again ;-) That will push Power consumption down to 80 Watt~ Literaly 2/3 of the stock value.

More info: https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=574892

On page 2, there's a small how-to for using the Curve editor^^" (use Google translate~)

If unclear, maybe check for some youtube tutorials (Afterburner Curve Editor), or i will write a small how-to this weekend ^^"

thanks for replies. maybe its time to get rid of the dell. The only thing giving me the problems is the proprietary mobo right? I could just get a new mobo (and i guess a case) and I wouldnt have any problems getting a new psu right?  (The white, 8 pin, that you can see in the close-up pic is what plugs into my psu)motherboard.jpg.c16f880df416b3000950e334a1724788.jpg

20150120_144318.jpg

20150120_144309.jpg