I gave my friend my HTPC and he wants to upgrade and i don't know what to upgrade xD

adham.

I had a pretty good HTPC and it served me well..
The Specs was :
i3 4170 @ stock *Like i had a choice*
8 gigs of DDR3 again ^
A GTX 750 Ti @ stock settings never OCed
1 TB Hdd WD blue and no ssds 

I gave it to him because there was no need for it in my home not that he is poor like he has a 1070 lol just that i hate seeing good tech being wasted and collecting dust...
The thing is that he wants to upgrade it and he has almost 285 bucks at hand right now. just 285$ exactly.
I asked him why ? he said he will upgrade it to give it to his sister and he won't be using it for the same purpose as i did..

Now the problem is that his budget is so tight like what to upgrade ? Bear in mind that his sister loves story based games and actually plays modern titles but her PC died 1 week ago.... so actually gaming is the first thing to consider here...
I actually have no idea about what to upgrade and such , he can sell any of the parts in the build and add to the 285 bucks and maybe get some new things.. we have no idea and his budget is the problem...

What do you guys think ? him and I have little to no idea about what to upgrade because of the tight budget as i said...
Would love to hear suggetions from you guys...

Thanks in advance :)

well if prices are the exact same conversion (I doubt they are, but oh well) maybe he could get a used 1050ti to go with the i3 because anything over a 1060 wouldn't be used to its full extent without a better processor.  So eating up $150 usd, he could just save the rest and an i3/1050ti is just fine (as long as the psu is at least 300w and the 1050ti he gets doesn't have pci power)

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

honestly dont see a problem with any of this for htpc use and light gaming, maybe add an ssd

Just now, hconverse02 said:

well if prices are the exact same conversion (I doubt they are, but oh well)

There is a slight over price here in Egypt. like add like 40 bucks at everything but he will manage

1 minute ago, ImNotThere said:

light gaming

As i said.. 
Modern titles...
I doubt she will be light gaming, She likes story based games I.e gta v / shadow of war etc 

5 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

as long as the psu is at least 300w and the 1050ti he gets doesn't have pci power)

The PSU isn't a problem, i just changed the psu like a couple of weeks ago.
550W don't worry.

Edit: and actually he has a 700watts psu seasonic just collecting dust from a build he never did which he can use.

2 minutes ago, adham. said:

As i said.. 
Modern titles...
I doubt she will be light gaming, She likes story based games I.e gta v / shadow of war etc 

i had an i3 4170 and 750ti and if shes fine running at lower settings she'll get away with it, both are still good budget parts

Used i5 or i7 for the same platform and a decent GPU, either a used 970, 980TI, or a new 1050TI.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈