I love my Job

JCBiggs
5 minutes ago, TopDollar said:

We did just get an upgrade...They upgraded AutoCAD 2010 to AutoCAD 2016.

We've been hearing about getting upgraded computers for a couple years now. Although just an idea on how quick our IT requests are fulfilled: it took 6 months to get Adobe Acrobat installed on my computer.

We have relative freedom as far as software like Acrobat goes, but we're still on Creo 2 (2014?) and recently there's been talk of going to Creo 4, but who knows what that timeline is going to be.

I've also heard rumblings about PC upgrades, but that has yet to come to any light. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Its the digitial era. if your company wont give you the tools you need to make your work efficient and productive... get out.  because those companies dont survive unless you are very very low on the totem pole. 

i cant complain at all. my boss gave me a blank check and told me to get what i wanted. I respected his cash flow and didnt go to extreme though.    Now looking back I wish i would of went with a different motherboard, and a better GPU from the start, but hindsite is 2020.  next builds will all have work station boards in them. no question. 

55 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

Its the digitial era. if your company wont give you the tools you need to make your work efficient and productive... get out.  because those companies dont survive unless you are very very low on the totem pole. 

i cant complain at all. my boss gave me a blank check and told me to get what i wanted. I respected his cash flow and didnt go to extreme though.    Now looking back I wish i would of went with a different motherboard, and a better GPU from the start, but hindsite is 2020.  next builds will all have work station boards in them. no question. 

Why would I want to be more efficient and productive though? :P

We have legacy machines which are a lot more powerful that we use to run specialized software on. Although in those cases, it can sometimes take years to get a certain piece of software approved through the sea of bureaucracy unless it has the right people pushing it through the system.

58 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

We have relative freedom as far as software like Acrobat goes, but we're still on Creo 2 (2014?) and recently there's been talk of going to Creo 4, but who knows what that timeline is going to be.

I've also heard rumblings about PC upgrades, but that has yet to come to any light. 

There was a mandate a while ago that all our computers be upgraded to Windows 10; which would come with hardware updates (i7-4790s & 16gb RAM I think). Think they're still in testing phases with that as far as I know. Problem with using a bunch of custom software is maintaining comparability with new tech. Can take a while to work out all the bugs. 

58 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Hey it’s funny, the fact that the 1070 would do better in any application that didn’t need Quadro-specific features. 

maybe so, but it wont do jack with a 14,000 piece solid assembly, or  an iges file in mastercam with a few hundred surfaces. lol

30 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

maybe so, but it wont do jack with a 14,000 piece solid assembly, or  an iges file in mastercam with a few hundred surfaces. lol

Depends on how the programs utilise the GPU. If they do it like any other program should, then the 1070 would perform better.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

3 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

sorry.. doesnt work that way. 

I mean if the program is coded to work with Quadro-driver enabled features, then yes, the Quadro will be faster. But if it isn’t coded to work like that, then the 1070 will be faster. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

25 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

sorry.. doesnt work that way. 

With relatively few exceptions, it actually does. There are some Quadro specific features but the majority of programs, even many professional programs (Ansys, Creo, and Solidworks) don't take full advantage of these features. I have Creo at home on my personal PC and (obviously) on my work PC and can absolutely tell you that the programs are looking at raw compute performance, not quadro specific features, so things run MUCH better and smoother on my personal 980 than on my office K4000. 

What you are buying when you pay for a Quadro, is not extra performance (in 95% of applications) but reliability, compatibility and customer service. Remember that the cost of an engineer being down due to hardware incompatibilities or failures is far and away more expensive than the performance deficit you get on a Quadro. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

I mean if the program is coded to work with Quadro-driver enabled features, then yes, the Quadro will be faster. But if it isn’t coded to work like that, then the 1070 will be faster. 

ok.. sure.. fair enough.. but regardless, its a moot point because all the applications I am using require the quadro.    Also, its true that over all performance may be higher  with the 1070, due to the number of cuda cores and clock, but its almost guaranteed the performance per core and per watt will be higher with the quadros due to optimized drivers,  additional vram, better binning, etc.   

you originally compared my card to a 1070.  and that's not really a fair comparison. the 1070 is higher clocked, and had more cuda cores.  And even with that advantage it wont hold a candle to the p4000 where it matter.   

So. instead.  lets compare 2 cards that ARE very close together.  The P5000, and the 1080. 

http://www.geeks3d.com/20170515/test-nvidia-quadro-p5000-vs-geforce-gtx-1080/2/

you can see here, with two cards that are apple to apple as far as core counts and clock speeds go, the quadro is either slightly faster, neck and neck or slightly slower.   UNTIL you get to software that demands what quadro offers.  then it blows the 1080 away.

SO.. what that means if if you were to buy that p5000, yes you are paying more... BUT you would be paying for the ability TO DO MORE.  To play games within a few FPS of what a stock 1080 can, AND the ability to do high end work, AND the ability to do GPU compute tasks slightly more efficiently.   thats why it cost more. not because its "better." (though in my opinion a card that will do more is better even if it does cost more) 

The only question is if its worth the extra money to have ALL options open to you.  if you don't have a work load that requires  it, then of course not.  But I do, so its worth it to me.  

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

With relatively few exceptions, it actually does. There are some Quadro specific features but the majority of programs, even many professional programs (Ansys, Creo, and Solidworks) don't take full advantage of these features. I have Creo at home on my personal PC and (obviously) on my work PC and can absolutely tell you that the programs are looking at raw compute performance, not quadro specific features, so things run MUCH better and smoother on my personal 980 than on my office K4000. 

What you are buying when you pay for a Quadro, is not extra performance (in 95% of applications) but reliability, compatibility and customer service. Remember that the cost of an engineer being down due to hardware incompatibilities or failures is far and away more expensive than the performance deficit you get on a Quadro. 

Also,  I dont know what kind of assemblies you work on, but number 1, you cant use realview without quadro. thats important for me because of surfacing,  and an automatic deal killer.

number 2, i dont know what kind of parts/assemblies you work with, but I work with models that have thousands of parts and its very clear that solidworks is  not happy with a gaming card.  I have personally changed a high end gaming card for a low end quadro of the same vintage and had solidworks perform much better.  Solidworks does leverage CPU (mostly single core) for its calculations, but its polygon display task are still sent to the GPU.   

mastercam is a different ball game. its barely operable without a quadro.