Just bought an Alienware Aurora

First off, I do realize that I couldve saved some money on this by building my own, which isn't really an option right now as you'll see later.

So I bought an Alienware Aurora pc that comes with the specs in the picture. The system went for 2.8k Canadian but was on sale for 2k, and it has coffee lake CPU, so lmk what you guys think.

The reason for me getting a pre built over building my own is dells financing. I don't have the money for it all at once, with me being 16 and recently getting a job, but dell offers interest free over a 12 month payment period, which is roughly 180 per month

Screenshot_20171009-111856.jpg

Congrats on your new system.    The main thing that won me over with getting one of their gaming laptops was their customer service.  My only suggestion is to do a clean re installation of Windows as it does come with some of Dells stuff on it.  Just be sure to reinstall the programs like Alienware Command Center, Alienware Sound Center, and their overclocking utility.

I actually am not against prebuilts, building your own pc takes time. My main questions is is the financing a thing where you can pay more than your monthly quota and pay it off faster? Cause that would be awesome if I could pay something off in like 3 payments instead of 1 massive one. He specs seem pretty good, the only thing is I would have expected a 1080 or above but with gpu prices right now, you never know. Thanks for sharing!

Just now, lilbman said:

Congrats on your new system.    The main thing that won me over with getting one of their gaming laptops was their customer service.  My only suggestion is to do a clean re installation of Windows as it does come with some of Dells stuff on it.  

Yah I'm loving their customer service so far, I've bugged them a few times with random questions and such, and my only "complaint" is that it won't be here until the 23rd of next month, but they don't start the payments until it arrives and I've booted it up.

1 minute ago, Legolessed said:

I actually am not against prebuilts, building your own pc takes time. My main questions is is the financing a thing where you can pay more than your monthly quota and pay it off faster? Cause that would be awesome if I could pay something off in like 3 payments instead of 1 massive one. He specs seem pretty good, the only thing is I would have expected a 1080 or above but with gpu prices right now, you never know. Thanks for sharing!

Yes, they let you choose the amount of each payment (providing of course that its above the minimum, which mine is 57/month), and if you pay for it in under 12 months its interest free! Also yah it wouldve been too much for a 1080 bit i can run sli (not too sure if its better at all)

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

As per usual with every build I see on this site, that's better than my PC!

I'll be upgrading from a laptop with a Celeron processor and 4gb of ram so I feel your pain

Just now, Archivic said:

I'll be upgrading from a laptop with a Celeron processor and 4gb of ram so I feel your pain

I have plans up jumping to Skylake over the holidays so hopefully I'll be in less pain soon haha

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Pretty sweet deal I'd say. And with that PSU and case, there's a lot of room for upgrades as well, should be future-proof well.

Daily drivers:

- HP Elite x2 1012 G2: Intel Core i7-7600U, Intel HD Graphics 620 + Aorus Gaming Box GTX 1080 eGPU, 16GB LPDDR3-1867, 256GB Toshiba NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD + 128GB Toshiba Exceria UHS-1 U3 MicroSD, 12.3" 2736x1824 + HP Pavilion 22cwa Monitor 21.5" 1080p IPS, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

- LG V20 (H990DS): Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 (ARM-based), Adreno 530, 4GB LPDDR4, 64GB eMMC UFS 2.0 + 64GB SanDisk Extreme UHS-1 U3 V30 MicroSD, 5.7" IPS LCD 1440p + 2.1" 160x1040, Android 7.0 (LG UX 5.0)

Other devices:

- Lenovo IdeaPad Y400: Intel Core i7-3630QM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M SLI, 16GB DDR3-1600, 120GB Kingston mS200 mSATA SSD + 1TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 7200rpm 2.5" HDD, 14" 768p, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit [retired]

- Dell Venue 11 Pro (7139): Intel Core i5-4300Y, Intel HD Graphics 4200, 8GB LPDDR3-1600, 256GB SanDisk X110 M.2 2260 SATA3 SSD, 10.8" 1080p IPS, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit [retired]

- Acer Iconia W4: Intel Atom Z3740, Intel HD Graphics, 2GB DDR3L-1033, 64GB Samsung MCG8GC eMMC, 8" IPS WXGA (1280x800), Windows 10 Home 32-bit

- Asus ZenFone 2 ZE551ML: Intel Atom Z3580 (x86-based), PowerVR G6430, 4GB LPDDR3, 64GB eMMC, 5.5" IPS LCD 1080p, Android 6.0.1 (Asus ZenUI)

- New Nintendo 2DS XL

4 minutes ago, Archivic said:

Yes, they let you choose the amount of each payment (providing of course that its above the minimum, which mine is 57/month), and if you pay for it in under 12 months its interest free! Also yah it wouldve been too much for a 1080 bit i can run sli (not too sure if its better at all)

I may be getting a new laptop?? wait correction, I don’t have one at the moment so I’m getting a laptop! Lol

maybe...

Just now, Legolessed said:

I may be getting a new laptop?? wait correction, I don’t have one at the moment so I’m getting a laptop! Lol

When I'm getting close to university age, if I need a new laptop (which I probably will) ill definitely use the payment plan again, providing that this process is smooth

21 minutes ago, Archivic said:

When I'm getting close to university age, if I need a new laptop (which I probably will) ill definitely use the payment plan again, providing that this process is smooth

I’m torn right now. I can get a dell xps 13 base model for $24 a month??

A high school buddy of mine swore on this payment plan back in the day, good luck with it! Make sure to pay back before 12 months are up though, afaik they charge you for every month of interest all at once if you don't pay before then. (21% ×12, ouch)

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Damascus said:

A high school buddy of mine swore on this payment plan back in the day, good luck with it! Make sure to pay back before 12 months are up though, afaik they charge you for every month of interest all at once if you don't pay before then. (21% ×12, ouch)

my interest rate it actually 14 % and yah ill definitely be sure to pay it

5 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

I’m torn right now. I can get a dell xps 13 base model for $24 a month??

I would get something better if I were you, but if that's what's in your budget then ?

1 minute ago, Archivic said:

I would get something better if I were you, but if that's what's in your budget then ?

Well that’s the crazy thing. I could get the upgraded model for not that much money!!!!!

1 minute ago, Legolessed said:

Well that’s the crazy thing. I could get the upgraded model for not that much money!!!!!

Yah, I'm thinking of getting a couple of monitors through them, as I currently only have an old acer monitor with VGA / dvi ports

4 minutes ago, Archivic said:

my interest rate it actually 14 % and yah ill definitely be sure to pay it

Gucci, its gone down  lot in the last 7 years

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

The only problem I have with prebuilta other than them being a bit more expensive(especially alienware a lot of the time) is the typical cooling solutions for the cpu and general airflow of the system the spec list did not mention any kind of cpu cooler so that would be the only thing that would have me on edge but otherwise its not a bad system at all, a similar speced system you would pay about $1800ish canadian so an extra 200 isn't terrible.

System Specs

CPU: I7-5820k   MOBO:Asus X99 strix   RAM: 32gb corsair Dominator Platinum 2666mhz   GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980TI  PSU: Corsair RM1000i 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mg7k2R

26 minutes ago, Archivic said:

Yah, I'm thinking of getting a couple of monitors through them, as I currently only have an old acer monitor with VGA / dvi ports

One advantage to the low end XP’s models though is that they last days on a single charge.

1 hour ago, Archivic said:

Yah I'm loving their customer service so far, I've bugged them a few times with random questions and such, and my only "complaint" is that it won't be here until the 23rd of next month, but they don't start the payments until it arrives and I've booted it up.

From my personal experience, Dell's estimate of when you'll get it is way longer than what it actually is.  I ordered my 15 R3 when they first came out,  and it said it would come in roughly a month and a week.  To my surprise, I got it in around 14 days.

10 hours ago, BryceJonathan said:

The only problem I have with prebuilta other than them being a bit more expensive(especially alienware a lot of the time) is the typical cooling solutions for the cpu and general airflow of the system the spec list did not mention any kind of cpu cooler so that would be the only thing that would have me on edge but otherwise its not a bad system at all, a similar speced system you would pay about $1800ish canadian so an extra 200 isn't terrible.

It has a water cooler thing on it, so I don't think I have to worry about coolong