Separate overclock speeds for 1-core turbo all the way up to all-core turbo?

If all goes well I'll have my 8700k in Tuesday. I'm "only" cooling it with a Noctua NH-D14 so a 5Ghz+ all-core turbo doesn't seem feasible. But motherboards do allow you to set up different turbos for 1 core, 2 core etc, so I was figuring I'd try a 5Ghz+ 1- or 2-core turbo.. Yet I've never seen an overclocking guide where they did anything other than just adjust the all-core turbo. Is there a reason for this? Is it bad for your CPU to keep fluctuating in speed like that? Any other reason? Or is it a viable option?

NHD14 is a beast of a heat sink. Beats most of the 240mm aios and up there with 280mm. Only way to have 2 cores to run at a specific clock is to disable all the other 4 cores and at that point you might as well hit yourself with a brick cause you can just buy an unlocked dual core

1 minute ago, tp95112 said:

NHD14 is a beast of a heat sink. Beats most of the 240mm aios and up there with 280mm. Only way to have 2 cores to run at a specific clock is to disable all the other 4 cores and at that point you might as well hit yourself with a brick cause you can just buy an unlocked dual core

Wait, really? I thought the different turbos in the UEFI just base themselves on the specific load on the CPU?

1 minute ago, MGsubbie said:

Wait, really? I thought the different turbos in the UEFI just base themselves on the specific load on the CPU?

Yes only with turbo(4.7), but if you are adding overclocking to it you disable boost

1 minute ago, tp95112 said:

Yes only with turbo(4.7), but if you are adding overclocking to it you disable boost

Oh, so you're saying that the other cores still work if they are all used, but disable themselves if it goes for a 2-core turbo?

14 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

Only way to have 2 cores to run at a specific clock is to disable all the other 4 cores and at that point you might as well hit yourself with a brick cause you can just buy an unlocked dual core

Actually, he can do it.

"Per core", also referred to as "Per usage" overclocking will allow @MGsubbie to accomplish what he's trying to do.

@MGsubbie all you need to do is setup a per core overclock to the values that work for you.  In keeping with what you originally wanted to do, you could set it up so that the multiplier is set to 50 when 2 or less cores are being utilized, 49 when 4 or less are being utilized and 48 when all 6 cores are being utilized.   Very easy to do.  The motherboard will handle the appropriate multiplier for use based on how many cores Windows or any applications are using at any given time.

Just now, done12many2 said:

Actually, he can do it.

"Per core", also referred to as "Per usage" overclocking will allow @MGsubbie to accomplish what he's trying to do.

@MGsubbie all you need to do is setup a per core overclock to the values that work for you.  In keeping with what you originally wanted to do, you could set it up so that the multiplier is set to 50 when 2 or less cores are being utilized, 49 when 4 or less are being utilized and 48 when all 6 cores are being utilized.   Very easy to do.

Guess I was wrong. Would it cause instability issues though?

For my board at least you can set different max frequencies for certain amount of cores. You could definitely try tinkering with that.

I believe it should be something on any decent OCing board.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, tp95112 said:

Just stress test to confirm, as always.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

Just stress test to confirm, as always.

I mean all the fluctuation of clock speed, wouldn't voltage be affected?

Just now, tp95112 said:

Sure it will if you don't test it correctly.  Adaptive voltage combined with offset can allow you the ability to really dial in the voltage for this particular type of overclock.   You'll need to through a bit of single and multi-threaded loads at it for testing, but it's not too painful to setup at all.

Actually, he can do it.

@MGsubbie all you need to do is setup a per core overclock to the values that work for you.  In keeping with what you originally wanted to do, you could set it up so that multiplier is set to 50 when 2 or less cores are being utilized, 49 when 4 or less are being utilized and 48 when all 6 cores are being utilized.   Very easy to do.

Okay, thanks for the info. Do you know why this is never a part of overclocking guides and reviews on major techchannels? It seems like a good solution to get just that little bit extra out of badly optimized games.

I saw that heavyload allows for stresstesting across any amount of threads, any idea if setting it to two threads means it'll just utilize the one core?

Just now, tp95112 said:

Well yeah, but if you get a good LLC setting it shouldn't be too bad.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, tp95112 said:

That's where adaptive voltage comes into play.  Adaptive turbo voltage only applies when the core is turbo'd.  Outside of turbo, voltage will always follows the CPU's programmed VID from Intel unless you use an offset in conjunction with the additional turbo voltage.

2 minutes ago, MGsubbie said:

Okay, thanks for the info. Do you know why this is never a part of overclocking guides and reviews on major techchannels? It seems like a good solution to get just that little bit extra out of badly optimized games.

I saw that heavyload allows for stresstesting across any amount of threads, any idea if setting it to two threads means it'll just utilize the one core?

It's a fantastic feature and I assume that it's never part of reviews as it takes a bit more time to setup and test for stability.  

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

It's a fantastic feature and I assume that it's never part of reviews as it takes a bit more time to setup and test for stability.  

That's good news. If I stress test 2 threads in heavyload, would there be some way for me to confirm it's just using two threads on a single core? Or is there another piece of software you would recommend? Also, the non-boosted cores just stick to base clock, correct?

That's good news. If I stress test 2 threads in heavyload, would there be some way for me to confirm it's just using two threads on a single core? Or is there another piece of software you would recommend? Also, the non-boosted cores just stick to base clock, correct?

Yes, you can use any software monitoring app that lest you see individual core clockspeed.  You'll see that when your are running one or two single threaded tasks that the clocks are moving up to a max of 5 GHz if that's where you set it, but the second you load all cores at once, the clock will drop to 4.7 or 4.8 if that's where you set your 6 or less multiplier to.  I'll try to capture a video of this for you to help you out.

Yes, you can use any software monitoring app that lest you see individual core clockspeed.  You'll see that when your are running one or two single threaded tasks that the clocks are moving up to a max of 5 GHz if that's where you set it, but the second you load all cores at once, the clock will drop to 4.7 or 4.8 if that's where you set your 6 or less multiplier to.  I'll try to capture a video of this for you to help you out.

Oh yeah that makes perfect sense. If you could do that, I would really appreciate it.

If you could do that, I would really appreciate it.

Yeah, no problem man.  Give me a bit to get one set up for you.  It won't be perfect as I'm not going to take the time to dial it all in perfect, but you'll get to see what I'm talking about.

@MGsubbie

Hopefully this helps bud.

I just setup a quick "per usage" overclock with 4 or less cores operating at 5.1 GHz, 6 or less cores at 5 GHz, 8 or less at 4.9 GHz, and finally 10 cores at 4.8 GHz

You'll notice that when all cores are used by any application, clock speed drops to 4.8 GHz.  When only 1 core is used, it scales as high as 5.1 GHz.  Pretty easy stuff.  Let me know if you have any questions or need help with it once you get your chip.  Good luck.

7 hours ago, done12many2 said:

@MGsubbie

Hopefully this helps bud.

I just setup a quick "per usage" overclock with 4 or less cores operating at 5.1 GHz, 6 or less cores at 5 GHz, 8 or less at 4.9 GHz, and finally 10 cores at 4.8 GHz

You'll notice that when all cores are used by any application, clock speed drops to 4.8 GHz.  When only 1 core is used, it scales as high as 5.1 GHz.  Pretty easy stuff.  Let me know if you have any questions or need help with it once you get your chip.  Good luck.

Thank you for all the help.

• 1 year later...