This setup can sustain both 4k and 8k 3D ?

Hello guys !

A friend of mine wants to build a new PC for 4K 3D with last high-end technologies. He also wants to do Blu-Ray encoding/decoding and wants the must powerfull CPU on market atm.
So I prepared this PC : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Cz3hhq

But my problem is that I've no idea if the SLI of 1080 TI will support a monitor/TV with the nvidia 3D kit with 4K resolution.
He also plans wants to be already equiped for the 8K 3D ( thourgh nvidia 3D kit also ). Same, I've no Idea if the SLI provides enough power to sustain it.

Not sure if he will game with it, but I'm barelly sure he will not.

Can someone there give me some tips for the graphic cards and the power they can deliver :P ?

Thanks !

I think it'd be a better idea to go with two 1080Tis versus two Titan Xps

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

I think it'd be a better idea to go with two 1080Tis versus two Titan Xps

Any justification for that ? Any extra information I dont have to understand that advice ?
Edit : It was the first plan, but as SLI of 1080TIs struggle for 8k sometimes, I'll prefered to take XPs to be sure to sustain 3D.

Not sure what programs he uses but I'd go with the 7960X/7980XE instead. High core count, High clock speeds and high overclockability. This ensures you to be able to run those single-threaded editing/transcoding programs like Adobe Premiere (look at how 7820X is faster than 1800X despite have same core/thread count. 7820X has higher clocks) faster than Threadripper due to AMD's latest architecture having an issue past the 4GHz frequency which has an impact on single threaded applications. That PSU is way more than enough on 2 1080 Ti's. But of course overclocking, headroom wise and for the future, it's a good investment. I'm throwing price and power consumption out of the window here considering what he needs.

1HandBrake.png

1Premiere.png

1Blender1.png

1Blender2.png

1Corona.png

1POVray.png

Just now, DragomitchBe said:

Any justification for that ? Any extra information I dont have to understand that advice ?

The 1080ti is basically a Titan Xp just 60% of the price

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

Just now, DragomitchBe said:

They are like, the same or better performance for cheaper. Titan cards are like, somewhere in between a Quadro card and a standard GTX card, so it has some features you'd be paying extra for that wouldn't be used by an average user or your friend here.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

5 minutes ago, dfg666 said:

Not sure what programs he uses but I'd go with the 7960X/7980XE instead. High core count, High clock speeds and high overclockability. This ensures you to be able to run those single-threaded editing/transcoding programs like Adobe Premiere faster than Threadripper due to AMD's latest architecture having an issue past the 4GHz frequency which has an impact on single threaded applications. That PSU is way more than enough on 2 1080 Ti's. But of course overclocking, headroom wise and for the future, it's a good investment. I'm throwing price and power consumption out of the window here considering what he needs.

1HandBrake.png

1Premiere.png

1Blender1.png

1Blender2.png

1Corona.png

1POVray.png

Forgot to say I already got the i9's in consideration for the setup, but they're too expensive for the +10% average improvement they provide.
"Not ready to back another half thousand or even more for just +10% perf" he sayd :P !

Anyway, thanks for your answer and complement of information !

So the setup is presently : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YXNKzM with and Nvidia 3D Vision 2 for the 3D part.

Then my remaining question will be : Does a SLI of 1080 TI's can sustain the load for both 4K and 8K in 3D ?

What does he want to do exactly?

Neither encoding nor encoding requires that much GPU power. This entire build is terrible and I would recommend redoing it from scratch.

The optical drive you picked doesn't even seem to support 4K.

You just picked the most expensive one you could find, didn't you? Because that's what it looks like. I doubt your friend is actually going to buy this computer. You're just messing around, dreaming about expensive hardware on PCPP aren't you?

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

What does he want to do exactly?

Neither encoding nor encoding requires that much GPU power, and to be honest I doubt your friend is actually going to buy this computer. If he will then he has more money than sense.

The optical drive you picked doesn't even seem to support 4K.

You just picked the most expensive one you could find, didn't you?

Nah, But thanks a lot for showing me my error :P ! I thought I took the an LG one 3 times cheaper and better than this one. That's because they'r link "add to inventory" when on a product page doesn't work, so I didin't noticed the error !

I'll ask him a new time for a full detail of his needs, but it is also intended to be a home media center ( even if he doesn't want optical slow drives for mass storage) but the scope is also to have that computer for long years.

Edit : So the setup me atm should be : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YxhVxY

5 hours ago, DragomitchBe said:

Edit : So the setup me atm should be : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YxhVxY

Here is what I would change:

I am going to assume that he wants that specific processor so I won't change that, although I think he would probably be better served with a cheaper one.

The cooler is fine if he doesn't want to go custom loop, which he really should with such a ridiculous budget.

The motherboard is overkill. Get a cheaper one like maybe the Asus Prime X399-A. Sure you might lose out on one M.2 slot, and it doesn't have WiFi, but that's about it. That's not worth 200 dollars.

64GB of RAM is complete overkill, and especially such expensive RAM. Again, I don't know what he is going to do but chances are 32GB will be more than enough, and I don't think that is the best kit for the build either but RAM is not my strong point.

There is no reason to get three M.2 drives. You do not need 5TB of NVMe storage inside your build. Throw everything but the 1TB one out.

Want more storage? Throw in hard drives, or how about a NAS?

Two 1080 Ti is overkill and changes are it would not even improve performance that much. In fact, if he wants it for encoding/decoding then it won't help at all since the performance of those tasks aren't bound by CUDA core performance, nor can multiple NVENC engines be used to encode the same video.

Chance the case. That case is meant for big watercooling loops with lots and lots of radiators. For air cooling it isn't anything special. It will just be big, expensive and relatively empty in this build.

Change the power supply. This build won't come close to 1600W, and especially not after the changes I recommend. A good 750W PSU will be enough.

Change the optical drive for one that supports 4K blurays if that's what he plans on using it for. Be warned though, there is no reliable way of ripping them right now.

Actually, now that I think about it, you probably can't view 4K blurays if you don't have an Intel processor with an integrated GPU. So the highest end CPU you can use for 4K bluray playback will be the i7-8700K.