Any suggestions on good 7.1(Or 5.1) headphones?

GoldForest

I podcast and live stream... 

I use this

BOYA BY-M4C Phantom Power Clip-On Cardioid XLR Lavalier Microphone

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AULRE34/

plus a small mixer with phantom power that I plug into the PC audio mic input.

Here's the mixer I use to power the mic and provide me two outputs..

one into Yamaha MG16XU (overkill) and one into my mic input on my main pc.

Master mix goes to the streaming PC.

Behringer XENYX 1002 10 Channel Audio Mixer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J5WB4E/

Using an average usb based mic will introduce some latency over using analog IO provided by the mobo or soundcard.

If you want cleaner vocals, use a cardioid studio/desktop mic in the $200 range and figure out how to reduce sound bouncing in your gaming room and it helps a lot to have the PC on the other side of the wall.. even though the cardioid's pickup pattern reduces audio from behind it.. PC fans and ACs cause a lot of background noise. So I use my mobo's noise reducing features on the mic input.

My mining journey

1 minute ago, D Levy said:

I podcast and live stream... 

I use this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AULRE34/

plus a small mixer with phantom power that I plug into the PC audio mic input.

Here's the mixer I use to power the mic and provide me two outputs..

one into Yamaha MG16XU (overkill) and one into my mic input on my main pc.

Master mix goes to the streaming PC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J5WB4E/

Using an average usb based mic will introduce some latency over using analog IO provided by the mobo or soundcard.

q-q That mixer has more knobs then the space shuttle... Lol, I'm not looking for professional grade stuff. I don't live stream, I don't record videos... yet, all I want to do is talk to my friends lol. 

2 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

Human can only hear from 20Hz-20Khz and its true even an inaudiable sounds can make certain headphones sounds better but i think for a beginner to the audio world u shouldn't dumped that kind of money on expensive audio gear..
U need to learn more and make sure that u can make use of that audiophiles grade headphone.

Sennheiser HD 558 is a good introduction to the audio world so i suggest u buy it first u wont need a dac/amp for that.

And when already have the experience u can buy another more expensive gear.

That was based on an old test, which also stated "as low as12 Hz and as high as 28 kHz".. audiophile I know that build home theaters would rip you a new one lol

people can feel/hear the difference between headsets that can handle these wider frequency ranges...

Similar test IIRC claimed humans couldn't see the difference between 60hz and 144hz... and we all know we can.

6 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

q-q That mixer has more knobs then the space shuttle... Lol, I'm not looking for professional grade stuff. I don't live stream, I don't record videos... yet, all I want to do is talk to my friends lol. 

yea but it's only $65.. but if you just want something easy, a cardioid (important) clip on lav with a phantom power XLR preamp with 1/8 output could work

say something like this but cheaper

https://www.amazon.com/Saramonic-SmartRig-Profession-interface-microphone/dp/B071WFH879/

Really, as long as whatever mic you get is a cardioid and preferably phantom powered, it will be better than the standard mics you see on headsets.

My mining journey

2 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

Not all people and 20Hz-20Khz is the NORM.

And people who are new into the audio world cant really hear it..only some of em can and its pretty rare.

U are suggesting an overkill gear to the OP.

When did IRRC claimed that?

IIRC = if I remember correctly.. I don't remember the name of the visual test, but one was recently mentioned in one of linus' videos about seeing more than 144hz. 

I disagree about the headphones.. quality headphones like these last.. and once you buy one, you're not likely to buy another one for a long time, so it makes sense to buy one within your budget that provides the most bang for your buck in quality. Much like buying a quality TV... It's still sensory input. Same argument could be said about TVs in people not noticing the blacks aren't black.. until... someone points it out.. then you are aware. My point... OP should do what makes him happy... value of products have a lot to do with perception. The HD 558 is inferior to the HD 600.. and the HD 600 doesn't cost a whole lot more for what you're getting. Would you disagree?

My mining journey

9 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

Not all people and 20Hz-20Khz is the NORM.

And people who are new into the audio world cant really hear it..only some of em can and its pretty rare.

U are suggesting an overkill gear to the OP.

When did IRRC claimed that?

1 minute ago, D Levy said:

IIRC = if I remember correctly.. I don't remember the name of the visual test, but one was recently mentioned in one of linus' videos about seeing more than 144hz. 

I disagree about the headphones.. quality headphones like these last.. and once you buy one, you're not likely to buy another one for a long time, so it makes sense to buy one within your budget that provides the most bang for your buck in quality. Much like buying a quality TV... It's still sensory input. Same argument could be said about TVs in people not noticing the blacks aren't black.. until... someone points it out.. then you are aware. My point... OP should do what makes him happy... value of products have a lot to do with perception. The HD 558 is inferior to the HD 600.. and the HD 600 doesn't cost a whole lot more for what you're getting. Would you disagree?

I've thought about it, and I think for convenience sake I'll stick to gaming headsets. Thanks to both of you for great suggestions, really thank you, but right now I think what's best for me is a simple 5.1 or 7.1 headset, even if it doesn't compare to 2.0/1 with virtual surround. So the question I would like to ask both of you:
What headset should I get?
Should I save the extra buck to get the Razer Tiamat and deal with extention cords for VR for as true to 7.1 as it can get? 
Just buy another G930? I've had these for a little over half a year to a full year, can't remember, but the 7.1 dobly isn't that bad. It blew me away when I switched from my Afterglows to this. 
Or is there another headset out there that's better than both of those?

Oh gesus... looked at the G930... how is this even a question?

G930 between the Tiamat... the Tiamat.. but keep in mind.. reviews aren't as stellar as the cheaper HD 600.

In fact, HD 600 is in my shopping cart right now because my Sony's are getting boring after 4 years.

My mining journey

Just now, L.Lawliet said:

I am going to bed now.

o7 goodnight lol

My mining journey