Suggest me a motherboard for Corei7 7700K

Smokie

Hey so I currently have 4th Gen rig   & the processor is getting dated so I am upgrading to 7th gen I know 8th gen would of been a better choice but its not in stock anywhere and I don't want to wait 2 months so I already bought the Corei7 7700K so I'll need a new motherboard and new ram as well since the  7th gen needs DDR4 ram and I am on DDR3 so I'll get Corsair Vengeance DDR4  2x8 (16gb) with 2400mhz  , my budget for the motherboard is 200-240$ I don't want to make the same mistake again by buying a cheap motherboard as I did before by buying a 60$ motherboard with the 4th gen i5  it only had one fan header ( bought 3pin to molex adapter) for the fans & it didn't have  USB 3.0 headers for front  3.0 usb ports of my casing  , I need a motherboard with RGB since RGB is becoming a thing these days 

How much faster is ddr4 ram over  the ddr3 ram?

A friend suggested ASUS Strix Z270H how is this motherboard?

Will I'll need to reinstall the Windows ? I am on Windows 10 pro x64 retail license

From what I know the i7 7700K doesn't comes with stock thermal paste nor  heat sink  , so will Artic silver 5 thermal paste will be good enough? & from what I know my  current  Coolermaster Hyper D92 HSF will be compatible with this cpu but how will it perform with this processor without overclocking it how much temps will I get with it during gaming? I do have a plan of getting  Corsair liquid cooling with RGB

How much faster is is the 7th gen  i7 7700K over the 4th gen i5 4440??? cause on this current cpu sometimes when I open 6-7tabs in Chrome I start to feel a bit lag in browser and I know its not the ram since I've 16gb and when I open my task manager it shows cpu usage 100% then it drops back 

How will my GTX 1060 6gb perform with the i7 7700K? I do have a plan of selling the 1060 & upgrading to a GTX 1080ti

My current specs are 

4th gen Corei5 4440 3.1ghz
Coolermaster Hyper D92 HSF
2x8 ( 16gb) 1600mhz ddr3 Corsair vengeance
1tb Segate barcuda 7200rpm
240gb Corsair LE SSD (SATA III)
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb windforce 2x
Gigabyte H81 mobo
Creative 7.1 sound card
Seasonic 80+ bronze ( semi modular) 620watts psu
Corsair Carbide 200R (Windowed) casing with three Corsair 120mm AF fans plus one 140mm Xigamatech fan

Ryzen or 8th gen. 7th gen is not worth it

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Go for whatever Z270 board looks best. Personally, I have the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon Z270, I love the RGB elements and it fits nicely with the rest of my build. I also really like the Gigabyte Z270 K7 board, but it wouldn't fit that well with my case. They will all do basically the same thing, every brand will try to have their own gimmick, but nobody is really "ahead" in anything anymore as far as I've been able to see. If you like the VRM cooling on an ASRock board, get it. If you like the lighting features on an Asus board, get it. Just look around, choose what's best for your wallet and your personal build/personal needs. 

I hv the strix z270h and wished i got the z270f now ? but eh depends on your budget. Id say asus strix boards are freaking reliable performance and asthetics wise. 

If u do want wifi integration in mobo w/o any usb adapters then z270e is also a nice pick. The only downside for me is the z270h doesnt have a dedicated IO shroud over the F version. Bht thats about it. All the board abv i quoted are standard atx z270 chpset

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

3 minutes ago, Avve1000 said:

I got this one for my 6700k :D 

Same here (7700k), love how the armor looks, and the onboard wi-fi meant one less wire to manage around the desk, definitely recomend it over the Hero if OP is willing to go a extra on his MOBO budget but minus the armour (looks only) and the wi-fi, there's nothing between the 2.

14 minutes ago, Avve1000 said:

I got this one for my 6700k :D 

6700K is 6th generation right?

Go for an msi m7 it's amazing trust me you won't regret it. I have one with the 7700k and a 1070.

8 minutes ago, strat guy said:

Same here (7700k), love how the armor looks, and the onboard wi-fi meant one less wire to manage around the desk, definitely recomend it over the Hero if OP is willing to go a extra on his MOBO budget but minus the armour (looks only) and the wi-fi, there's nothing between the 2.

As far as for the budget I can increase it to 280$ but then I'll have to wait more & built in WIFI hmm? I usually use an Ethernet cable CAT 5E  I do have an USB WIFI adapter I don't  use it I've in my draw I only use it when I wish to use my surround sound speakers during a party LOL so having built in WIFI feature is good I'll consider it 

31 minutes ago, xsimplyjosh said:

I hv the strix z270h and wished i got the z270f now ? but eh depends on your budget. Id say asus strix boards are freaking reliable performance and asthetics wise. 

If u do want wifi integration in mobo w/o any usb adapters then z270e is also a nice pick. The only downside for me is the z270h doesnt have a dedicated IO shroud over the F version. Bht thats about it. All the board abv i quoted are standard atx z270 chpset

What do you mean by it doesn't have a dedicated  IO shroud ??? 

Do you mean the I/O back plate which has connectors of vga , dvi , usb ports  on the back of the motherboard?

I just want to make sure I don't make the same mistakes again of not having enough fan headers I know there are fan splitter cables and 3 pin to molex adapters but it would be better if the motherboard had enough , also I want to make sure if the USB front headers are 3.0 so can I use my casing's front USB 3.0 ports , & I am going pretty much everything in my rig with RGB the motherboard will be the first step , then I'll get Corsair RGB liqud cooling & some Corsair RGB fans , replace my RED LED strip with RGB strip , replace my GTX 1060 with GTX 1080ti RGB variant and even get Corsair RGB gaming mouse & keyboard basically RGB everything LOL there are even RGB rams but I'll probably not go with RGB ram

29 minutes ago, Smokie said:

z270 were backward compatible with skylake chips after a bios update.

23 minutes ago, Smokie said:

As far as for the budget I can increase it to 280$ but then I'll have to wait more & built in WIFI hmm? I usually use an Ethernet cable CAT 5E  I do have an USB WIFI adapter I don't  use it I've in my draw I only use it when I wish to use my surround sound speakers during a party LOL so having built in WIFI feature is good I'll consider it 

The main selling point for the Code are definitely it's looks, you'll have to decide if the premium is worth it. Running one less wire around your setup is also a big bonus. I was going for a nice look and shifted the PC from the floor to the desk and one less wire definitely helped.

Asus are pretty great with their MOBOs for things like vrm, power delivery, OC stability, and come with a neat software suite and a good uefi/bios. Also packed with features like pin outs for stuff like water temp, flow rate etc in case you go the custom loop way.

1 hour ago, strat guy said:

z270 were backward compatible with skylake chips after a bios update.

The main selling point for the Code are definitely it's looks, you'll have to decide if the premium is worth it. Running one less wire around your setup is also a big bonus. I was going for a nice look and shifted the PC from the floor to the desk and one less wire definitely helped.

Asus are pretty great with their MOBOs for things like vrm, power delivery, OC stability, and come with a neat software suite and a good uefi/bios. Also packed with features like pin outs for stuff like water temp, flow rate etc in case you go the custom loop way.

Will I need to update the BIOS for the I7 7700K or it will already updated ? & yeah Asus motherboards do look dope & having a PC on the floor isn't a good thing as hair  , dust & other particles can easily go inside it I am not going to be a hypocrite as I have my pc on the floor too well atm until I buy a nice computer table  , What is Vrm? & I'll probably use it without overclocking it  until I get the liquid cooling , I've never overclocked before so I hope its easy to do that 

43 minutes ago, Smokie said:

Will I need to update the BIOS for the I7 7700K or it will already updated ? & yeah Asus motherboards do look dope & having a PC on the floor isn't a good thing as hair  , dust & other particles can easily go inside it I am not going to be a hypocrite as I have my pc on the floor too well atm until I buy a nice computer table  , What is Vrm? & I'll probably use it without overclocking it  until I get the liquid cooling , I've never overclocked before so I hope its easy to do that 

You'll be fine with it with the 7700k but its always a good idea to look for the latest one. The AI suite software will do that for you, on these boards you can do that without even having the cpu installed via their usb bios flashback.

VRM = voltage regulator module, not an expert so I'll leave that to someone else to better explain, but basically just a part that gets real hot when overclocking and pushing more voltage through. Asus have nicely designed ones and with good heatsinks etc.

Very easy 1 click overclocking from the windows software or by loading an XMP profile fom the BIOS if you're new to it. A good idea is to load a profile and let it do the work but go back in their later and try shaving off some Vcore voltage in small increments and testing for stability until you're unstable, then shift up to whatever was stable and that's your ideal overclock. Presets will generally push way more than what is required.

I'm running mine at stock for now, it's a realy nice gaming cpu, doubt there'll be too much gaming gains with a coffee lake, shame about the availability though, but you're sorted for a good few years with this one imo.

37 minutes ago, strat guy said:

You'll be fine with it with the 7700k but its always a good idea to look for the latest one. The AI suite software will do that for you, on these boards you can do that without even having the cpu installed via their usb bios flashback.

VRM = voltage regulator module, not an expert so I'll leave that to someone else to better explain, but basically just a part that gets real hot when overclocking and pushing more voltage through. Asus have nicely designed ones and with good heatsinks etc.

Very easy 1 click overclocking from the windows software or by loading an XMP profile fom the BIOS if you're new to it. A good idea is to load a profile and let it do the work but go back in their later and try shaving off some Vcore voltage in small increments and testing for stability until you're unstable, then shift up to whatever was stable and that's your ideal overclock. Presets will generally push way more than what is required.

I'm running mine at stock for now, it's a realy nice gaming cpu, doubt there'll be too much gaming gains with a coffee lake, shame about the availability though, but you're sorted for a good few years with this one imo.

I've decided to go with ASUS Strix Z270F as its 160$ over here where as Maximus IX Hero in my country is 300$ , even without overclocking it should be good enough right as its 4.2ghz & not to mention it goes up to 4.5ghz with turbo boost its Intel's second processor which is 4ghz Intel's first 4ghz processor was I7 4790K , I heard about Xmp before someone told me to go into my BIOS and turn it on for the ram when I got Corsair vengeance ram sticks , Yeah I heard Eight generation i7s is same as Seventh generation but with 6 cores no distributors or any online sites have Eight gen i7s or i5s you can find  Eight gen i3s that's about it they wont be available until 2 months , I currently game on 1080p with high/ultra with 60FPS so with the new setup I should get get a better GPU & a 1440P 120/144hz monitor as well right :P

47 minutes ago, Smokie said:

I've decided to go with ASUS Strix Z270F as its 160$ over here where as Maximus IX Hero in my country is 300$ , even without overclocking it should be good enough right as its 4.2ghz & not to mention it goes up to 4.5ghz with turbo boost its Intel's second processor which is 4ghz Intel's first 4ghz processor was I7 4790K , I heard about Xmp before someone told me to go into my BIOS and turn it on for the ram when I got Corsair vengeance ram sticks , Yeah I heard Eight generation i7s is same as Seventh generation but with 6 cores no distributors or any online sites have Eight gen i7s or i5s you can find  Eight gen i3s that's about it they wont be available until 2 months , I currently game on 1080p with high/ultra with 60FPS so with the new setup I should get get a better GPU & a 1440P 120/144hz monitor as well right :P

Yep, 4.5 right out the box was one of it's main selling points, its plenty good for gaming at 1080/60 (which is what my setup is for now as well) pretty smooth gaming with a 1070 in AAA games like the witcher 3, gta V etc. The 2 extra cores on coffee lake will mostly impact video content creators by shaving some seconds off their render times, or benefit extreme users going for very high def 4k etc or  shooting for higher refresh rates with 1440p multi monitor setups (largely gpu dependant) but the PubG devs have been patching that game with stuff that actually makes better use of the extra cores, BF1 uses the extra cores well too.. hope it doesn't become a trend. :S

The Z270 Strix are great boards too, good looking and good value. Paul's Hardware did a great overview on the Asus Z270 lineup, here:

The Strix ones are the gaming/rgb focussed ones but maybe there's something else there for you. Also MSIs M-5 and M-7 as well as some of the Gigabyte Aorus lines have good reviews in case you want to check.

oops, teething problems with the z370 strix ?

:smug:

19 hours ago, Smokie said:

yes

//Thanks

Avve1000
Setup in Profile!

16 hours ago, strat guy said:

Yep, 4.5 right out the box was one of it's main selling points, its plenty good for gaming at 1080/60 (which is what my setup is for now as well) pretty smooth gaming with a 1070 in AAA games like the witcher 3, gta V etc. The 2 extra cores on coffee lake will mostly impact video content creators by shaving some seconds off their render times, or benefit extreme users going for very high def 4k etc or  shooting for higher refresh rates with 1440p multi monitor setups (largely gpu dependant) but the PubG devs have been patching that game with stuff that actually makes better use of the extra cores, BF1 uses the extra cores well too.. hope it doesn't become a trend. :S

The Z270 Strix are great boards too, good looking and good value. Paul's Hardware did a great overview on the Asus Z270 lineup, here:

The Strix ones are the gaming/rgb focussed ones but maybe there's something else there for you. Also MSIs M-5 and M-7 as well as some of the Gigabyte Aorus lines have good reviews in case you want to check.

oops, teething problems with the z370 strix ?

:smug:

Intel had more than 4 core processors for a while now right correct me if I am wrong but Haswell-E & Broadwell-E etc had more than 4 cores but people said they were all over kill for gaming , not worth the price & by the time games start to use more than 4 cores they'd be out of dated & Amd on the other hand had more than 4 cores for ages now more than 4 cores but not fast enough like Amd bulldozer had Eight 4ghz cores & Corei5 2nd generation defeated it & it became fail dozer , though I've heard Amd is stepping its game up with Ryzen don't know if that's true but back in the past people use to say if you're on a budget go with Amd &  it use to be bad GPU had bad drivers & their Cpus use to heat up but now I heard their Gpu's increase in performance through drivers & their processors increase in perfomance through BIOS updates , I been always an Intel & Nvdia user & I am going to keep it that way Intel pentium 1 was my first cpu  when I was 5 years old LOL & besides in my country Amd stuff comes late 

Btw this is how my pc currently looks https://prnt.sc/gxydx5   what can I do to improve how it looks? I know the first thing I should is get a PSU shroud to hide them cables at the bottom but what else

3 minutes ago, dfg666 said:

lmfao at people recommending Ryzen when OP plans to upgrade to 1080 Ti.

Don't even buy Ryzen if you can afford a 1080 Ti. You're shooting yourself in the head at this point.

Don't worry I been always an Intel & Nvidia user since day one & I am going to keep it that way