Learn xcode or unity

Walt

Hi everyone,

I am planning on learning to code this year xD and know HTML and CSS. Now I want to start more programming. I was wondering what it easier to learn: xcode (IOS apps probably games) or unity (make a game)

Any advise?

Thanks!

My own build: RΛZΞR theme

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

Video Card: MSI Armor gtx 1070 OC 8GB // RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200MHz //  

SSD: Samsung EVO 960 500GB // HDD: 2x WD yellow edition 2TB //

Case: NZXT H440 RAZER edition // Power Supply: Corsair RM550x //         

Operating Software: Windows 10 pro 64-bit

I think Xcode is a better idea because you can learn games and practical application writing. 

Unity is more so scripting even though C# is a programming language. 

I find that when I program in unity I am not learning much real programming compared to if I was writing games in a text editor. 

You get more control in Xcode because you do more of the work. Unity handles a lot of stuff on its own so you don't get as much control. Additionally it can be tedious to get things to work because of engine limitations. (Certain things don't work easily because of how the engine was made.) 

Stick with Xcode to make programs and games in favor of unity for just making games. 

EDIT;

xcode is a text editor for Mac. You would program in a language like C, or apples specialty language called "swift." 

Xcode is an IDE, and Unity is a game development platform. None of them should be even considered when you're just starting to learn coding, and you may have misunderstood what those two things are.

If you're serious about starting out with programming, I'd suggest that you first of all get a proper understanding of some popular programming languages. Personally, I'd recommend Java or C# if you're just starting out.

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/java/

https://beginnersbook.com/java-tutorial-for-beginners-with-examples/

Just be aware that learning a programming language takes time and dedication, and making games usually isn't as easy as it seems.

16 hours ago, Walt said:

Hi everyone,

I am planning on learning to code this year xD and know HTML and CSS. Now I want to start more programming. I was wondering what it easier to learn: xcode (IOS apps probably games) or unity (make a game)

Any advise?

Thanks!

Unity, because it costs nothing to get started. Xcode is probably nice, but requires that you own a MacOS based computer, and pay a fee just for the priviledge of using the language, then on top of that you must pay for the rights to upload your completed app to the app store, and then be subject to a 30% "listing fee" for every install/in-app purchase. No thanks.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Another consideration could be finding an ide for programming HTML and CSS to make websites. 

Freelancer.net or something like that is a great place to get jobs for that kinda stuff. 

• 1 year later...

You need to learn a programming lanagauge. I strongly recommend object oreiented langauge. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Maybe try starting with learning c#, the ms tools are free as is the training. Then get xamarin (again it's free) and you can make cross platform mobile apps (iOS, android and Windows phone compiled from one code base, sort of) from the comfort of visual studio (available for mac and pc). You can still make games just not PUBG mobile level stuff with it. 

Xcode (the Xcode interface) is not just an IDE for development its also how you side load apps, provision profiles, live debug websites on apple devices (very handy for working out why the ipad styling is fucked up on a site) and release to the store (it's actually a separate app that you run from the Xcode menu). The $100 a year you pay also includes support from apple, they are excellent at supporting devs, but you only need to do that when you want to publish to the store, you can develop and personally release (using Xcode with a connected device) with a free developer license, you do require a mac but other than that development for apple costs nothing anymore (only the public release required the paid for license). 

Id recommend c++ as it is basically every type of programming language. It can be object oriented, function, procedural... honestly c++ is very easy to read compared to other languages i know. 

But... keep in mind that its very extensive. I learned via -

•"sams teach yourself c++" (700 pages)

By siddhartha rao

•c++ institute

•The cherno youtube videos 

On 10/15/2017 at 6:21 AM, kirashi said:

Unity, because it costs nothing to get started. Xcode is probably nice, but requires that you own a MacOS based computer, and pay a fee just for the priviledge of using the language, then on top of that you must pay for the rights to upload your completed app to the app store, and then be subject to a 30% "listing fee" for every install/in-app purchase. No thanks.

xcode is free and it doesn't cost anything to learn and use swift (it's open source). Apples docs and frameworks are also free to access and use. The paid dev program Apple offers gives you to access to OS betas, support, publishing to the app store and analytics tools among other things. But I doubt a paid dev program is relevant for OP regardless. Having said that, I think python is the best language for beginners to learn.

12 hours ago, Umberto said:

xcode is free and it doesn't cost anything to learn and use swift (it's open source). Apples docs and frameworks are also free to access and use. The paid dev program Apple offers gives you to access to OS betas, support, publishing to the app store and analytics tools among other things. But I doubt a paid dev program is relevant for OP regardless. Having said that, I think python is the best language for beginners to learn.

Awesome, where do I download the Xcode development environment & toolset for Debian Linux?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 1/8/2019 at 4:07 AM, kirashi said:

Awesome, where do I download the Xcode development environment & toolset for Debian Linux?

Where did I say that you can run xcode on linux? 

16 hours ago, Umberto said:

Where did I say that you can run xcode on linux? 

You didn't; in fact, I was under the impression that Xcode only runs on MacOS, which means it does cost around $2000 CAD since I would be required to purchase hardware I don't currently own in order to run Xcode, despite having perfectly functional hardware capable of running Windows, Linux, or hell even Solaris if I wanted to. Unless you know of a way I can run Xcode on non-MacOS platforms?

9 hours ago, kirashi said:

You didn't; in fact, I was under the impression that Xcode only runs on MacOS, which means it does cost around $2000 CAD since I would be required to purchase hardware I don't currently own in order to run Xcode, despite having perfectly functional hardware capable of running Windows, Linux, or hell even Solaris if I wanted to. Unless you know of a way I can run Xcode on non-MacOS platforms?

Now you are just being stupid. Xcode does indeed just run on MacOS. At the same time, it is also completely free to download and use. You don't have to pay for it, which makes it free. See how that works? I don't care about your hardware mate, but I wouldn't suggest that you should use xcode if you're running Linux would I? Lets go over this again.

Xcode is probably nice, but requires that you own a MacOS based computer

Yes, this is true.

[...] and pay a fee just for the priviledge of using the language

No, this is not true. You don't have to pay a fee to use xcode. Xcode is not a programming language, it's an IDE, and it's free. Swift it probably the language your are referring to. You don't have to pay a fee to use swift either, and you can use and compile swift on Linux. Compiler and related tools for Ubuntu are available at https://swift.org/download/ and you can most likely get it running on Debian without too much of a headache. 

then on top of that you must pay for the rights to upload your completed app to the app store

First, lets be real here, OP is never going to put anything on the app store in the near future hence making the pricing of Apples dev program a moot point. Anyway, it's $99 per year to enroll in the dev program which gives you the ability to put your apps on the app store, among other things (access to betas, tech support, app analytics, framework for beta-testing etc). Hardly something a beginner would need or use, and not something that is needed if you just want to make an app. For comparison, you have to pay a one-time fee of $25 in order to put your app on the Google play store. 

and then be subject to a 30% "listing fee" for every install/in-app purchase

30% on every purchase. Exactly the same as the Google play store in fact.

No thanks.

Okay buddy.