280x vs 770 (same price)

Mario-
Go to solution Solved by CwGoh,

280X = AMD Games, Raw horsepower, OpenGL acceleration, extra 1GB of VRAM

770 = Whole package of Nvidia technologiy (PhysX, GSync, Shadowplay, etc) Cuda support and optimisation for Nvidia titles, better game bundle.

Hey guys.

I'm building a pc for my freind and I have already ordered everything but the GPU, bacause it went out of sotck when I ordered it.

So I need your help.

The CPU is a Xeon 1230 v2 and the case a Prodigy M.

The Graphics cards I can get  have to cost <301€ in Austria.

So my options are:

280x:

Powercolor:     278€

Sapphire:         280€

Club3D            285€

770:

Palit                 280€

Palit Phantom: 294€

Zotac:              294€

Gigabyte:        297€

Asus               301€

Gainward        281€

Inno3d            287€

I'm looking for the card with the best price/perfomance.

The cooler doesn't have to be silent as a Noctua Fan, but also shouldn't be unnecessarily loud.

Thanks in advance
~Mario

Why did you get a Xeon

And get the 280x Toxic if you can

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

they are pretty close tbh. i was in the same position as you and picked the r9 280x. the extra GB in VRAM was a big seller for me since ill be playing things like modded skyrim which can easily eat up3GB and the 2GB on the 770 just wont cut it.

now if u want the features like shadowplay and Gsync then u may want to get the 770

Getting a Xeon is pretty odd indeed. As for GPU I'd go for a 770 but they are neck and neck, personally I just prefer NVIDIA.

sapphire 280x

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

770 = Whole package of Nvidia technologiy (PhysX, GSync, Shadowplay, etc) Cuda support and optimisation for Nvidia titles, better game bundle.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Sapphire 280x Toxic, it really is a hell of a card considering its price.

I was on the same situation 2 days ago, I went for gtx 770 because of nvidia bundle.

And linus said on a recent video that the r9 280x "doesnt have the same..UNFFF" that the gtx 770 and he prefers gtx 770 xDD

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

Okay, I got the Sapphire 280x because it was the most convenient one to get.

Also I don't think my freind will use these Nvidia software options, and also, in my country only one shop supports game bundles from Nvidia.

And I think he will benefit from Mantle more than he would benefit from PhysX or Shadowplay (G-sync is not even there yet, and he's not planning to change his monitor).

But thanks to CwGoh for listing these things, helped me a bit. ^-^