3 TB hard drive for 40 dollars on letgo

Sleeper PC 2016

I found a 3 tb WD green for 40 usd on letgo and thinking of buying it. The last time i had a WD green (free from a neighbor) it failed on me an hour later so im a bit worried this one will do the same. Should i bring a laptop and a usb to sata hdd enclosure to check the smart data on crystaldiskinfo before i buy it?

Link: https://us.letgo.com/us/i/stainless-steel-wd-3-0tb-hdd_9f9108e8-3dae-4a41-9b3f-587e01c61e18

1 minute ago, Sleeper PC 2016 said:

I found a 3 tb WD green for 40 usd on letgo and thinking of buying it. The last time i had a WD green (free from a neighbor) it failed on me an hour later so im a bit worried this one will do the same. Should i bring a laptop and a usb to sata hdd enclosure to check the smart data on crystaldiskinfo before i buy it?

Link: https://us.letgo.com/us/i/stainless-steel-wd-3-0tb-hdd_9f9108e8-3dae-4a41-9b3f-587e01c61e18

Yes, always bring a test unit

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B350 GPU: Reference cooled GTX 980 Storage: Intel SSD5 256Gb RAM: 8gb Geil EVO Potenza Case:  Phanteks p300 PSU: EVGA 500 watt CPU Cooler: AMD wraith spire

Steam: maxarooni4

Battle.net: MAX

If you have an Oculus HMU in dead and buried   

I would never buy storage, be it HDD or SSD, second hand.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I'd reformat it if you get it but yeah bring the laptop. and check or ask if refunds are available 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

There's no point in buying cheap second hand storage and wasting money gambling on whether or not it works. You're better off looking for sales on storage so at least you spend more and get better quality results than expecting something to work and it not working.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Personally, I would never buy storage second hand, regardless if its a HDD or SSD. Yes, bring a laptop to test if the HDD is functioning properly.

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I would never buy storage, be it HDD or SSD, second hand.

i actually had good luck with secondhand storage. I bought 2 tb seagate for 40 dollars (its literally the exact same model number as the one i got in my pc that paid 66 for on newegg) but the used one had 20,000 hours of use on it already but no sector issues and still providing 200 MB/sec Read/write throughput. The only time i had bad luck was when i pulled a hard drive from a direct tv dvr i got at goodwill. The hard drive (320 gb WD AV drive) was working fine when i had it until i gave it to a friend and 2 weeks later it was making noises and being really slow.

ive gotten hard drives out of unused laptops and desktops and 2 cable boxes (one a TivO box, i still have its 160 gb WD greenpower drive and its been great and reliable and that unlucky direct tv box after my friend started using it)

You can buy storage second hand, just don't put anything important on it that you can't replace (your vacation photos or stuff like that)

You can use it as a Steam drive and put your games on it, if it fails you can always redownload them.

I'd bite but test it before you buy it- it could be dying and that's why they're selling it.

18 hours ago, Anjelllo said:

I'd bite but test it before you buy it- it could be dying and that's why they're selling it.

i met with the guy last night, he does computer hardware repairs and said the drive is perfectly working being used in a desktop. I havent plugged it in yet due to the hard drive in my friends computer failed which took time and he said if the drive fails with in 3 days of purchase, he will refund it

This drive will be a keeper. I did get a 2 tb seagate like a month or 2 ago but that was because i didnt have a spare hard drive thats bigger then 500 gigs and i was selling a computer. This one im keeping for my bought a few days ago 35 dollar rackmount server or maybe my HP compaq elite SFF file server