Please Advice on which CPU to use and H115i placement

Go to solution Solved by TahoeDust,
5 minutes ago, MissyPuff said:

i have tried your advice but i cant overclock that well. cant even get it to be stable at 4.2Ghzo.O

This should help...

Hi all,

I need advice on two questions which is as follows:

1. CPU to use for my system as my friend has a spare I7-2600K and I7-2700K and he said that is it better for my current pc as it can be overclocked or stay with I7-3770 non K. (i use to have a I7-3770K which was running on high temps and died because of reason below)

2. Which is the best way to setup H115i. eg front,top (the reason he is giving is confusing me as i feel that it should be top mounted to reduce the chance of bubbles going into the pump which happend to my old H110- the comuter shop tech found out which offered me a free I7-3770 non K and i decided to changed my H110 to a H115i as they said the pump maybe damaged)

My current setup is as follows:

CPU: Intel I7 3770 non K

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65

CPU cooler: Corsair H115i with ML140 PRO LED Blue 140mm x 2  (currently top mounted pull configuration)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB (16GB) 1600Mhz

Graphic Card: Palit Jetstream GTX680 4GB
Graphic Card cooler: Accelero Twin Turbo III

SSD: Samsung 850 pro 1TB

Storage: Western Digital Black 2TB

Sound card: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series

Power supply: Seasonic X-750 Gold

Fans: ML140 PRO LED Blue 140mm x 3

Casing: Nzxt H440

please kindly advice me and i applogise for my bad english and i am kind of new too this...took me awhile to type everything haha.^_^

7 minutes ago, MissyPuff said:

Hi all,

I need advice on two questions which is as follows:

1. CPU to use for my system as my friend has a spare I7-2600K and I7-2700K and he said that is it better for my current pc as it can be overclocked. (i use to have a I7-3770K which was running on high temps and died because of reason below)

2. Which is the best way to setup H115i. eg front,top (the reason he is giving is confusing me as i feel that it should be top mounted to reduce the chance of bubbles going into the pump which happend to my old H110- the comuter shop tech found out which offered me a free I7-3770 non K and i decided to changed my H110 to a H115i as they said the pump maybe damaged)

My current setup is as follows:

CPU: Intel I7 3770 non K

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65

CPU cooler: Corsair H115i with ML140 PRO LED Blue 140mm x 2  (currently top mounted pull configuration)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB (16GB) 1600Mhz

Graphic Card: Palit Jetstream GTX680 4GB
Graphic Card cooler: Accelero Twin Turbo III

SSD: Samsung 850 pro 1TB

Storage: Western Digital Black 2TB

Sound card: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series

Power supply: Seasonic X-750 Gold

Fans: ML140 PRO LED Blue 140mm x 3

Casing: Nzxt H440

please kindly advice me and i applogise for my bad english and i am kind of new too this...took me awhile to type everything haha.^_^

I don't think the 2600kor 2700k can go into that mobo

Thanks for the swift reply but msi website stated it can.

If you are going to choose from 2600k and 2700k the 2700k is almost as good as the 3370 out of the box. So overclock would be the way to go.

If overclocking it is worth it I have no idea, I personally had a 2600k which overclocked really well.

I'm guessing 3370 is running lower temps than the 2700k also, so that might be something to think on.

Back-end developer, electronics "hacker"

6 minutes ago, Joveice said:

If you are going to choose from 2600k and 2700k the 2700k is almost as good as the 3370 out of the box. So overclock would be the way to go.

If overclocking it is worth it I have no idea, I personally had a 2600k which overclocked really well.

I'm guessing 3370 is running lower temps than the 2700k also, so that might be something to think on.

I think there is a miss understanding. I meant that should I stay with 3770 nonK or change to a 2700k or 2600k

Sorry.(>人<;)

1 minute ago, MissyPuff said:

I think there is a miss understanding. I meant that should I stay with 3770 nonK or change to a 2700k or 2600k

If you are willing to overclock then the 2700k would probably be better than the 3370, but the temps is something to look out after. So I would say go for the 2700k if you are willing to overclock, if not stay with 3370.

3 minutes ago, Joveice said:

If you are willing to overclock then the 2700k would probably be better than the 3370, but the temps is something to look out after. So I would say go for the 2700k if you are willing to overclock, if not stay with 3370.

But I don’t have a 3370..o(≧v≦)o

2 minutes ago, MissyPuff said:

Sorry I understand what you means now . Sorry . Erm a i7 2700k is better then the newer 3770 non K ?

1 hour ago, Brett_Bst said:

I have my H115i mounted at the top pulling in air and I too have the H440 :D

Nice!

I would persoanlly mount the duo aio on the top to be honest . Exhaust the hot air out quickly. I never saw the point of mounting in the front it didnt seem logical to push in hot air back into the case

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

40 minutes ago, xsimplyjosh said:

I would persoanlly mount the duo aio on the top to be honest . Exhaust the hot air out quickly. I never saw the point of mounting in the front it didnt seem logical to push in hot air back into the case

I see. My friend just sent me a link on the different placement of H115i, if placed in the front it will not take the the heat of the gpu which makes a difference for cpu temperature. But my worries is if I put it I front will it be pushing the air bubbles into the pump as my old h110 did.

8 hours ago, MissyPuff said:

Derp, I ment 3770 sorry! Yes 2700k is almost as good as it, with overclock it's better.

just so people know, placement of the AIO has little effect on temps only a few degress, I tested this and its been tested meny times on YT. The H440 case is known to not have the best air flow, I have my H115i top mounted with the fans at the bottom pulling air through the rad, I have 3 corsair 120mm fans on the front pulling air in and a 140mm corsair fan pushing air out the rear, my cpu is @4.8ghz and never goes above 70c even under full load stress test with prime95, my h115i fans are set with a custom fan curve that keeps them blow 30% rpm all the way up to 80c only then do they up the rpm a little. If there set to run on the normal curve using cpu temp they will sound like jet engines when under load lol

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8

13 hours ago, Joveice said:

Derp, I ment 3770 sorry! Yes 2700k is almost as good as it, with overclock it's better.

i see xD . thank you

10 hours ago, Brett_Bst said:

just so people know, placement of the AIO has little effect on temps only a few degress, I tested this and its been tested meny times on YT. The H440 case is known to not have the best air flow, I have my H115i top mounted with the fans at the bottom pulling air through the rad, I have 3 corsair 120mm fans on the front pulling air in and a 140mm corsair fan pushing air out the rear, my cpu is @4.8ghz and never goes above 70c even under full load stress test with prime95, my h115i fans are set with a custom fan curve that keeps them blow 30% rpm all the way up to 80c only then do they up the rpm a little. If there set to run on the normal curve using cpu temp they will sound like jet engines when under load lol

nice!:D will keep that in mind. still learning how to put everything back but i was not the one to take everything apart haha

3 hours ago, MissyPuff said:

nice!:D will keep that in mind. still learning how to put everything back but i was not the one to take everything apart haha

lol yh always fun if you not the one taking it apart but there is lots of vids on pc builds on YT so wouldn't be to hard to find help plus you can also ask here if needed, good luck

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8

1 hour ago, Brett_Bst said:

lol yh always fun if you not the one taking it apart but there is lots of vids on pc builds on YT so wouldn't be to hard to find help plus you can also ask here if needed, good luck

what is "YH" and "TY" ?o.O 

2700k.  5.0GHz @ ~1.400v with the radiator mounted on the front with fans on intake.

/thread

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

On 10/13/2017 at 1:18 PM, TahoeDust said:

2700k.  5.0GHz @ ~1.400v with the radiator mounted on the front with fans on intake.

/thread

i have tried your advice but i cant overclock that well. cant even get it to be stable at 4.2Ghzo.O

5 minutes ago, MissyPuff said:

This should help...

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

I would be mounting the AIO in the top of the H440.  I've done quite a few builds over the years in those cases.  Really need to get the hot air out and not push it in.  Things get pretty toasty in there even with a custom loop.  You could do some fan swapping as well to help move air a bit better.  Noctua or Be Quiet Fans (Silentwings or Pure Wings) work quite well. 

7900X, Asus X670-E ROG Strix , 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000, 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB NVME, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME,  EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3

EVGA Supernova P2 1000 PSU w/ CableMod, Asus Xonar DSX, Lian Li Galahad 360, Hyte Y60, Corsair K70, EVGA Torq X10, (1) Alienware AW3418DW Ultrawide, (1) Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P, Logitech G535

4 minutes ago, StealthArsenal said:

I would be mounting the AIO in the top of the H440.  I've done quite a few builds over the years in those cases.  Really need to get the hot air out and not push it in.  Things get pretty toasty in there even with a custom loop.  You could do some fan swapping as well to help move air a bit better.  Noctua or Be Quiet Fans (Silentwings or Pure Wings) work quite well. 

I had better temps CPU temps and equal GPU temps with the radiator in the front and regular case fans on top.