Upgrade from 3770 non K

Go to solution Solved by Nocte,
1 minute ago, Mikealongo said:

Im happy now with my build, but Christmas is almost here (and Black Friday too) and I usually spend that cash on some tech related thing for me... (last year te alpha 6000) and I have that feeling/need to rebuild my system, change the fans (it's a little bit louder with the Corsair white 140mm), and I think that I should upgrade the CPU sometime in the future.

But I don't want to expend that money if it's not worthy... ?

In my honest opinion, you are kind of wasting money by upgrading your GPU now. The 980 is on par with the 1060. And if you are happy with your current build, just wait until new generations come out so that you can buy better performance per dollar.

Hello to everyone, 

I'm thinking on upgrade my computer from the 3770 (non K version) to whatever you recommend me (Maybe the next 8700 K from Intel)

First of all here are my current specs:

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3,4GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus Maximus V Formula
  • RAM
    16 GB DDR3-SDRAM
  • GPU
    GTX 980 Strix
  • Case
    Corsair 760T
  • Storage
    120 SSD Plus Sanddisk + Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB 5900 6.0Gb/s +2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm
  • PSU
    EVGA superNOVA 850 G2
  • Display(s)
    asus swift pg278q 1440p G-sync 
  • Cooling
    Corsair H115i All in One Watercooler
  • Keyboard
    Razer Blackwidow
  • Mouse
    Logitech G600
  • Sound
    Logitech z506
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

I don't know if for pure gaming (and some other thing such as econometrics or editing video...) it's a worthy upgrade.

I also thought about upgrading my GPU but Its a 980 and it's newer than the CPU and I don't know (I read about it and I think that it's not a problem) if the 3770 will bottleneck a 1080ti

Do you think that it's a good upgrade? 

Thank you all :)

I'd rather upgrade the GPU instead. The CPU is still good and you'll see a bigger performance boost from a better GPU such as the GTX 1080Ti.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

3 minutes ago, Mikealongo said:

Hello to everyone, 

I'm thinking on upgrade my computer from the 3770 (non K version) to whatever you recommend me (Maybe the next 8700 K from Intel)

First of all here are my current specs:

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3,4GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus Maximus V Formula
  • RAM
    16 GB DDR3-SDRAM
  • GPU
    GTX 980 Strix
  • Case
    Corsair 760T
  • Storage
    120 SSD Plus Sanddisk + Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB 5900 6.0Gb/s +2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm
  • PSU
    EVGA superNOVA 850 G2
  • Display(s)
    asus swift pg278q 1440p G-sync 
  • Cooling
    Corsair H115i All in One Watercooler
  • Keyboard
    Razer Blackwidow
  • Mouse
    Logitech G600
  • Sound
    Logitech z506
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

I don't know if for pure gaming (and some other thing such as econometrics or editing video...) it's a worthy upgrade.

I also thought about upgrading my GPU but Its a 980 and it's newer than the CPU and I don't know (I read about it and I think that it's not a problem) if the 3770 will bottleneck a 1080ti

Do you think that it's a good upgrade? 

Thank you all :)

If you upgrade to the latest 8700K, you'll definitely see improvements, although, those improvements will come at a high cost, as you have to buy a new CPU, RAM and Motherboard, it's up to you to decide whether or not such improvements are worth what you're paying for these. Is the CPU overclocked? If not, have you considered it?

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

Also, the price for 8GB of RAM, a Z370 Board and a core i7 8700K is about £580, and for "only" £110 more, at £690, you can get a 1080Ti, or, a 1080 for £470.

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

12 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

I'd rather upgrade the GPU instead. The CPU is still good and you'll see a bigger performance boost from a better GPU such as the GTX 1080Ti.

Yeah I'm between those options, but in a near future I should upgrade the CPU and maybe skip a GPU generation, don't know what to do haha

12 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

If you upgrade to the latest 8700K, you'll definitely see improvements, although, those improvements will come at a high cost, as you have to buy a new CPU, RAM and Motherboard, it's up to you to decide whether or not such improvements are worth what you're paying for these. Is the CPU overclocked? If not, have you considered it?

Is the non K version of the 3770 so I can't do it I think

4 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

Also, the price for 8GB of RAM, a Z370 Board and a core i7 8700K is about £580, and for "only" £110 more, at £690, you can get a 1080Ti, or, a 1080 for £470.

I have like 700 - 800 euros (a little more dollars) of wallet.

2 minutes ago, Mikealongo said:

Yeah I'm between those options, but in a near future I should upgrade the CPU and maybe skip a GPU generation, don't know what to do haha

Like I said, the processor is still good. Intel hasn't exactly made leaps and bounds each generation.

A GPU upgrade will benefit you a lot more. Especially at 1440p.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

5 minutes ago, Mikealongo said:

I have like 700 - 800 euros (a little more dollars) of wallet.

You can overclock non-K Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPU's 400MHz above turbo speed on P and Z chipsets.

20 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Like I said, the processor is still good. Intel hasn't exactly made leaps and bounds each generation.

A GPU upgrade will benefit you a lot more. Especially at 1440p.

So would recommend something like the 1080 time Strix OC? 

18 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

You can overclock non-K Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPU's 400MHz above turbo speed on P and Z chipsets.

I didn't know that :o I will investigate on that one!!! Thanks

So would recommend something like the 1080 time Strix OC? 

Yes, that's a good card.

Spoiler

I wouldn’t upgrade anything as of now. The 980 is still good, wait until Volta/Navi come out and upgrade to those. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

46 minutes ago, Eibe said:

I wouldn’t upgrade anything as of now. The 980 is still good, wait until Volta/Navi come out and upgrade to those. 

Im happy now with my build, but Christmas is almost here (and Black Friday too) and I usually spend that cash on some tech related thing for me... (last year te alpha 6000) and I have that feeling/need to rebuild my system, change the fans (it's a little bit louder with the Corsair white 140mm), and I think that I should upgrade the CPU sometime in the future.

In my honest opinion, you are kind of wasting money by upgrading your GPU now. The 980 is on par with the 1060. And if you are happy with your current build, just wait until new generations come out so that you can buy better performance per dollar.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

13 minutes ago, Eibe said:

I think that you all are right, I won't upgrade my system yet

Thank you!! :)

5 hours ago, Mikealongo said:

Yes you can.  The non-K Sandy and Ivy CPUs allow you to up the multiplier until 4 steps about turbo frequency.  So 4.3GHz should be possible, most likely even without touching the voltage.  Just change the multiplier as far as it'll go.

As for what kind of card, I'm not too sure about the 1080Ti.  My own i5-2500 can handle GTA on a 1060 just fine (high settings, 1080p, 60fps) , on a 1070 I notice slight bottlenecking.  Then again you have hyperthreading and a slightly higher clock speed, so perhaps it'll work out.  

If you can borrow a 1080 somewhere, I'd give that a go first to see if you still have enough CPU power to spare. 

EDIT : in all fairness though, if you really want to spend money on that rig you may want to look at buying a larger SSD.  120GB is cutting it close these days, I don't think you'll have a lot of games on that drive or a lot of room left.

15 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Yes you can.  The non-K Sandy and Ivy CPUs allow you to up the multiplier until 4 steps about turbo frequency.  So 4.3GHz should be possible, most likely even without touching the voltage.  Just change the multiplier as far as it'll go.

As for what kind of card, I'm not too sure about the 1080Ti.  My own i5-2500 can handle GTA on a 1060 just fine (high settings, 1080p, 60fps) , on a 1070 I notice slight bottlenecking.  Then again you have hyperthreading and a slightly higher clock speed, so perhaps it'll work out.  

If you can borrow a 1080 somewhere, I'd give that a go first to see if you still have enough CPU power to spare. 

EDIT : in all fairness though, if you really want to spend money on that rig you may want to look at buying a larger SSD.  120GB is cutting it close these days, I don't think you'll have a lot of games on that drive or a lot of room left.

I read that my 3770 shouldn't bottleneck the 1080 ti (someone with a 3770 K and a 1080 ti just improved 4 - 6 fps upgrading to a 7700 K). But somewhere in the future it will bottleneck something.

About the ssd you're right, I haven't space now in the ssd, but with the M.2 now in the market I feel that I should wait to get one of those (wich I can install just if I upgrade my Mobo...). I feel the same with the RAM DDR3 and DDR4