Best soundstage - high end headphones

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a new pair of high end headphones for use at my desktop (music, entertainment and gaming). My topic refers specifically to sound stage. Of the headphones in the quality and price region of HD 598, HD 600, ATH-R70x (etc.) what's the best option for great directional audio within games. Thanks a lot.

do you need a mic for gaming?

Main PC
CPU: i3-4160. RAM: 2x4GB Kingston ValueRam. GPU: Asus GTX750Ti OC 2GB (Palit StormOC 750Ti Bios). CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X.
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3. Storage: 1x Samsung 840 Evo. RAID 0: WD Scorpio Blue 500GB, WD Caviar Blue 500GB. PSU: Corsair CX500M.
Network: some TP-Link card that doesnt support 5.0Ghz. Case: Casecom Neptune CP-626 (the cooler doesnt fit so the side panel stays off).
Mouse: Logitech G430. Headphones: Sennheiser RS195. Keyboard: Lenovo KU0225. OS: Windows 10 Pro

stuff that isnt my main pc
Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E531 - Ubuntu 17.04 (Gnome Desktop)
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B - Not in Use
Raspberry Pi 3 - RetroPie

Phones/Tablets
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Lineage 14.1 (Android 7.1.1)
HTC One M7 - Dead Charging Port - Lineage 14.1 (Android 7.1.1)
HTC One M8 - Dead Sim Port -  Lineage 15 (Android 8.0.0)
Telstra 4GX Plus (ZTE Blade A462) - Android M Stock
iPhone 4S - Dead Battery Sensor (Stuck on too hot warning) - Latest iOS 9
iPhone 5 - MAIN PHONE - iOS 10.3.3

Consoles
Xbox One
Xbox 360 S
PlayStation 2 Fat

Headset: Plantronics RIG400HX 

22 minutes ago, twoSalty said:

do you need a mic for gaming?

Already planning on the modmic 5

Audio-Technica ADX series (good for gaming and ent. but for music, I didnt like cuz of the lack of bass), He400i (unbeatable at everything under 500)

Asus Z170-A | Intel Core i7-6700K@4.6Ghz | Cooler Master 612s | ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP! Extreme 4GB | Kingston HyperX Savage 1x8Gb 3000MHz CL15 | Aerocool Mechatron White Edition (Steel Edition) | Corsair CX650M | Fostex HP-A3 | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit | Superlux E205U | Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb | Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200Rpm | BENQ XL2411Z (1ms, 144hz, 24'', 3D) | HiFiMAN HE-400i | Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum | Logitech G703 Wireless | Razer Goliathus Control Large | T-Moblie 120/10 Mb/s | Steam profile

I'd rather ask you are you only using it for gaming or are you using it to watch movies and music listening. 

If it's only for gaming, just go to HD558 and you'll be forever happy with it without wasting money cause you dont really need more than that for gaming only headphone.

Otherwise, what kind of music do you listen to? are you expecting the headphone to have lots of bass? Or perhaps super clear high? Or you want to get as accurate sound as possible? If you are going to spend over $100 on a headphone, it's all about preference. There are a lot of good headphones after all above $100

IMO, speakers sound better. The comfort of not having earmuffs on your head is unbeatable. You'll get way more soundstage that way too. But that also means that everyone around you can hear your music/game/movie. And that's inconvenient. 

But still, speakers > sound earmuffs

4 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

IMO, speakers sound better. The comfort of not having earmuffs on your head is unbeatable. You'll get way more soundstage that way too. But that also means that everyone around you can hear your music/game/movie. And that's inconvenient. 

Soundstage, yes. But imaging on a pair of cheap speakers is garbage, and imaging is what really matters for positional audio. Given that gaming audio is mixed for headphones anyways, speakers are never going to beat headphones for pure gaming (unless something big changes).

54 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Its like 45 degrees in my office and my headphones are the only thing keeping me from hypothermia right now (I'm not joking, though I AM too lazy to go to the bedroom to find warmer clothes... because there's stuff to do!)

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

On 10/5/2017 at 6:56 PM, Himommies said:

#2 Beryerdynamic Dt880(250 ohms)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA29P4GR6273&cm_re=Beyerdynamic_DT_880_Premium_All_Black_Limited_Edition-_-9SIA29P4GR6273-_-Product

get them for the awsome price of 130 with 70 dollars off with code (EMCSBRRF6)

Also get a Fulla 2

My life

58 minutes ago, AAJoe said:

Its like 45 degrees in my office and my headphones are the only thing keeping me from hypothermia right now (I'm not joking, though I AM too lazy to go to the bedroom to find warmer clothes... because there's stuff to do!)

Get a sweater xD

3 hours ago, xtroria said:

I'd rather ask you are you only using it for gaming or are you using it to watch movies and music listening. 

If it's only for gaming, just go to HD558 and you'll be forever happy with it without wasting money cause you dont really need more than that for gaming only headphone.

Otherwise, what kind of music do you listen to? are you expecting the headphone to have lots of bass? Or perhaps super clear high? Or you want to get as accurate sound as possible? If you are going to spend over $100 on a headphone, it's all about preference. There are a lot of good headphones after all above $100

I'll be using them for everything inlcuding movies, music, gaming you name it. I'm happy to spend up to 3, 4 hundred dollars if I know I'm getting a product worth the money. As for the music, my tastes are broad so I prefer to go for flat and accurate sound, although I am a fan of Sennheiser's which some say can lack treble.

My main issue is these higher-end, professional headphones aren't marketed with games in mind so its unclear which are best for spacial sound. I own a pair of Audio Technica M50xs but they're closed back; the treble can be a little sharp and the spacial positioning isn't all that impressive.

5 hours ago, Falls said:

I'll be using them for everything inlcuding movies, music, gaming you name it. I'm happy to spend up to 3, 4 hundred dollars if I know I'm getting a product worth the money. As for the music, my tastes are broad so I prefer to go for flat and accurate sound, although I am a fan of Sennheiser's which some say can lack treble.

My main issue is these higher-end, professional headphones aren't marketed with games in mind so its unclear which are best for spacial sound. I own a pair of Audio Technica M50xs but they're closed back; the treble can be a little sharp and the spacial positioning isn't all that impressive.

HD600 doesnt have the best sound positioning but it does sound good as most probably you wont be disappointed with it. It's not what i'd consider the moat neutral sounding though.

Anytime you want an accurate sounding headphone, they're gonna have harsher treble when you have bad music files. 

I'd look into fidelio x2, HE-400i, HD600, K7xx and R70x. They all sound good, read their reviews so you can decide for yourself what to get since i dont think any one of them will disappoint you

8 hours ago, xtroria said:

HD600 doesnt have the best sound positioning but it does sound good as most probably you wont be disappointed with it. It's not what i'd consider the moat neutral sounding though.

Anytime you want an accurate sounding headphone, they're gonna have harsher treble when you have bad music files. 

I'd look into fidelio x2, HE-400i, HD600, K7xx and R70x. They all sound good, read their reviews so you can decide for yourself what to get since i dont think any one of them will disappoint you

Thanks xtoria, I'll look into those