ASUS Announces Direct CUII R9 290X

digitalnav

So now msi is using triple fans for their lightning cards , wonder if asus does that ? DCuiii

Why is everyone begging for triple slot cards?  Unless they keep your GPU 10 degrees cooler I don't really see the point.  If I had one I'd be afraid of the thing snapping my PCI-E slot off. :lol:

This latest DirectCU II design is WAY sexier anyway.

Man, I was gonna be all over this DCUII 290X...then G-Sync happened.  And so I wait for a DCUII 780-Ti.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Man, I was gonna be all over this DCUII 290X...then G-Sync happened.  And so I wait for a DCUII 780-Ti.

Some people are okay with spending 400$ more on a 144Hz G-Sync enabled monitor and a 780Ti. (versus a 150$ 60Hz monitor and a 290x)

Personally, I was going to be all over the DCII 290x, but then watercooling 290s happened.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Some people are okay with spending 400$ more on a 144Hz G-Sync enabled monitor and a 780Ti. (versus a 150$ 60Hz monitor and a 290x)

Personally, I was going to be all over the DCII 290x, but then watercooling 290s happened.

Yeah yeah, scorn me all you want, don't care.  Price-to-performance isn't the end-all-be-all metric of a product's worth.

And G-Sync is well worth its extra cost.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

And G-Sync is well worth its extra cost.

I disagree. But to each his own.

Especially when compared with a normal 144Hz monitor, it isn't worth the money. Tears and lags aren't noticeable on a regular 144Hz panel.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

I disagree. But to each his own.

Especially when compared with a normal 144Hz monitor, it isn't worth the money. Tears and lags aren't noticeable on a regular 144Hz panel.

We compared a 144hz to a 120hz, 60hz and GSYNC.

GSYNC blows them all out of the water and the install only took 15 minutes.

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

We compared a 144hz to a 120hz, 60hz and GSYNC.

GSYNC blows them all out of the water and the install only took 15 minutes.

How did you conduct the testing?

How did you conduct the testing?

By having all 4 sit next to each other and having people tell me which one looked better, haha.

Personally, as well, I prefer GSYNC. I just wished it was IPS and came in 1440p.

No 290 announced? It's like Asus doesn't want money thrown at them.

By having all 4 sit next to each other and having people tell me which one looked better, haha.

Personally, as well, I prefer GSYNC. I just wished it was IPS and came in 1440p.

Well, I was more like asking what content was being run.

Well, I was more like asking what content was being run.

Bioshock benchmark runs, Heaven benchmark runs, Crysis, stuff along those lines.

Bioshock benchmark runs, Heaven benchmark runs, Crysis, stuff along those lines.

Fair enough.

I'll just have to wait to see it in person. Until then, everything is just anecdotal evidence and to each his own. There was a forum member on TechPowerUp that noted his 144Hz monitor allowed him to not experience immersion-breaking visual artifacts.

Also, theoretically, GSync is better -- I'll give them that. But the difference isn't that large. Sure you get no frame lag or tears, but a normal 144Hz monitor only displays lagged and torn frames for 6.9ms. It makes sense that they are unnoticeable (unless, maybe, if you were watching for it). And you have to pay ~$150 for GSync? That doesn't add up in my mind.

But again, maybe I'll see GSync at Best Buy or something and change my mind.

Seeing how well an AIO water cooler performs, I'm excited to see how the DCUII card performs ;D

oh wow im so excited!!!

...for the 290 version :P

AMD FX 8350 8-Core CPU (Stock 4GHz) | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | (Rev. 4.0) | 8GB 1600MHz HyperX Fury | AMD R9 270 (MSI Gaming OC Edition) | NZXT H440 (White) | Kingston 120GB SSDnow V300 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB (7200 RPM) | Corsair RM750m 750w Fully Modular Power Supply

Dell 23.6-Inch 1080p 60hz IPS Display | Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler | Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G502 Proteus Core | iSymphony Wireless Stereo Speakers | Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Looks just like my 780's.  ^_^

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Also, theoretically, GSync is better -- I'll give them that. But the difference isn't that large.

I don't understand how you are able to say that. First off have you ever seen a demo yourself? If so than you have every right to declare that. But almost everyone I have heard of who have seen a G-Sync demo say that the difference is huge and I really do not care how small the difference in quantitative data, if people can tell that it looks better than that is all that matters.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I don't understand how you are able to say that. First off have you ever seen a demo yourself? If so than you have every right to declare that. But almost everyone I have heard of who have seen a G-Sync demo say that the difference is huge and I really do not care how small the difference in time the frames are actually displayed, if people can tell that it looks better than that is all that matters.

First, I was clearly talking from a theoretical point of view.

Second, demos don't accurately represent the performance of a technology. That's like saying Mantle will improve fps by 300% (there was a demo game that actually tripled it's frames per second by using Mantle). Besides, why are people so against image processing that makes image sequences look smoother? With your logic, people think it looks better, and that's all that matters.

rZ4lVXu.jpg

Those settings won't happen in real life. Of course I expect everyone to notice a huge difference.

Last, if there is no issue with no G-Sync, why should you "fix" it? I've already mentioned people who never notice stutter or lag with their current set up. It would be foolish for them to pay $175 for a G-Sync module.

First, I was clearly talking from a theoretical point of view.

Second, demos don't accurately represent the performance of a technology. That's like saying Mantle will improve fps by 300% (there was a demo game that actually tripled it's frames per second by using Mantle). Besides, why are people so against image processing that makes image sequences look smoother? With your logic, people think it looks better, and that's all that matters.

Last, if there is no issue with no G-Sync, why should you "fix" it? I've already mentioned people who never notice stutter or lag with their current set up. It would be foolish for them to pay $175 for a G-Sync module.

Come on, in the post I quoted you said theoretically it is better but said the difference was not huge. You COULD be correct and it is hardly any difference at all. But you cannot say that definitively because you have not had hands on experience and to my knowledge nobody who actually did demo it had anything but praise for it. I cannot even tell you that it IS all it claims to be so I won't, but hearing the praise it is given by others who have seen it I am willing to tell you that I think it will be a very good thing.

And yes I do full heartedly believe if people think something looks better than it does look better. An example of this is that some games with ultra hi-res textures do not always look better, but lower res ones with tessellation typically looks better. Perhaps a more relevant example would be 120hz vs 60hz. There is no way to actually prove with numbers 120 hz is smoother to the human eye but people think it is so why shouldn't I believe that it is?

Finally you are absolutely correct, if something is not broken do not fix it. But G-Sync promises to get rid of tearing and to add smoothness. If you do not have tearing and you are content with your image quality than no you should not fork over money for a new monitor. 

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Where do you find a Gsync monitor?

AMD fanboys all, WOOOOHOOOO!!

Nvidia fanboys raise eyebrow.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

exy

I don't see it in the article you linked, but on some of Asus' previous DCUII coolers I've noticed the second fan blows through a heatsink that extends beyond the PCB. Does this negatively impact the temperature of other components that some of that hot air pushed their way (RAM, for example, or perhaps a CPU air cooler)?

Beast 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thinking of buying one?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate