Is my psu dying/dead

Roadrunt

Just playing wow as you do and my pc randomly turns off. I press the power button nothing happend. I checked the wires nothing was loose. I reset the psu by flipping the switch on / off and the computer turns on. One hour later during an 'intense' mythic +10 key it crashes again on the last boss. No worries tho stil got a sweet 930 ring. Bk to the main point, i do the same checks and every thing is fine and restart my pc. Fifthteen minutes later it does it again at the same stage in MAW but on a normal mythic run for the weekly quest. This time i decided to leave my pc and check for dust to see if that was a problem but the dust filters were practically empty and inside was pretty much clear apart from a bit of dust on the watercooling pipes. I then decide to come here asking if i need a new psu on my phone, sat watching Rick and Morty while waiting for a reply. :)

Thanks, sorry if the back story wasn't needed or annoyed you.

have you checked event viewer for the last error before the computer shut down?

and yes, the anecdotal story telling was pointless and irritating.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Have you checked your temps while playing?

And yes, the anecdotal story telling was entertaining, thanks. ;-)

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

Cpu/Gpu temps were fine cpu didn't go pat 40 \ gpu didn't go as past at 60.

15 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

have you checked event viewer for the last error before the computer shut down?

and yes, the anecdotal story telling was pointless and irritating.

I don't see any errors/Warnings that indicate any thing useful.

Just out of curiosity, and not to draw conclusions, what is your power supply and how long have you had it for? How long have you had your system for?

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

CPU - FX 8350

GPU - XFX 830 4gb DD

PSU - Corsair 750w

RAM - 16gb Corsair Vengence

Cooler - H100 Corsair Cooler.

Motherboard - Gigabyte Range (Will specify soon) ddr3 -

1tb Hybrid Seagate

kingston 120gb SSD

8 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

Just out of curiosity, and not to draw conclusions, what is your power supply and how long have you had it for? How long have you had your system for?

Not exactly sure but around 3-4 year mark.

Just now, Roadrunt said:

Not exactly sure but around 3-4 year mark.

When your computer is on, are there any weird smells that you notice? Like rubber burning or anything that you normally wouldn't smell?

Just now, Hiitchy said:

When your computer is on, are there any weird smells that you notice? Like rubber burning or anything that you normally wouldn't smell?

Nothing unusual. 

2 minutes ago, Roadrunt said:

Nothing unusual. 

And when playing, you've monitored your thermals? I used to have an FX-8320 and remember how under load it would actually run hot but the thermals in my room actually cooled it down so it was 10 degrees celsius on idle, 25-30 under load. Have you considered running a stress test like AIDA 64 to see what the thermals reach and if maybe the CPU is getting too hot or the fans aren't spinning up properly?

I use CAM / MSI afterburner. Not sure if they're any good but max temp average over last 30 days is 34 with water cooling.

I've run tests like 3D mark/Cinebench before and it didn't seem to have any temperature problems with them. Solidworks etc.

• 3 years later...

Edited by elliotP890
Duplicate

On 10/6/2017 at 11:03 PM, Roadrunt said:

I use CAM / MSI afterburner. Not sure if they're any good but max temp average over last 30 days is 34 with water cooling.

I've run tests like 3D mark/Cinebench before and it didn't seem to have any temperature problems with them. Solidworks etc.

Hey, I know this thread is really old but did this issue ever get sorted? 

I've got exactly the same thing happening to me right now. Pc turns off by itself intermittently and most of the time won't boot. Occasionally it boots.

Did you buy a new PSU?