Ifixit Customer Service

Vaner

Hi 
I have a worn out T5 bit and a twisted T6 do can they be replaced or is normal to wear them out that easy? ( 3 weeks of use).

Does anyone has ever had a similar experience and have contacted Ifixit about it?

Thank you in advance

IMG_20171006_210238.jpg

American by birth, Greek by ancestry and pride, Geek by enthusiasm, Electronics Engineer by choice , Musician by passion, Blackbeard by appearance.

Pc: Name Vanericus Creation date 11/20/2009 

Laptop: Name Blackbeard date 27/7/2016 Msi GT72S 6QD Diminator G                                            

Really unusual IMHO. Have used my kit for about a year now without failure. I would contact them to discuss this issue and request replacements.

Jesus how the hell did you twist that T6 torx like that?

I've had a Pro Toolkit (The old school version, not the black redesign clip-style case) for years and all the bits are still in good shape (Aside from a bit of rust here and there oddly - the toolkit got soaked once when it was raining like a monsoon.

Anyway, I've only had to contact iFixit customer service once - I bought a replacement screen for an iPhone 4s, and the ribbon cable was torn - they replaced it without much issue.

If your kit is only 3 weeks old, I'd contact them immediately. Though personally I would question what abuse those bits were subjected to. From the looks of it, I'd assume you massively over-torqued a torx screw after it was already tight - maybe I'm wrong and it was a defective bit though - it could happen if the metal wasn't properly hardened.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

10 minutes ago, mathizel said:

Really unusual IMHO. Have used my kit for about a year now without failure. I would contact them to discuss this issue and request replacements.

It is unsual and I just wanted to use the my own "better" kit at work. 

American by birth, Greek by ancestry and pride, Geek by enthusiasm, Electronics Engineer by choice , Musician by passion, Blackbeard by appearance.

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Jesus how the hell did you twist that T6 torx like that?

I've had a Pro Toolkit (The old school version, not the black redesign clip-style case) for years and all the bits are still in good shape (Aside from a bit of rust here and there oddly - the toolkit got soaked once when it was raining like a monsoon.

Anyway, I've only had to contact iFixit customer service once - I bought a replacement screen for an iPhone 4s, and the ribbon cable was torn - they replaced it without much issue.

If your kit is only 3 weeks old, I'd contact them immediately. Though personally I would question what abuse those bits were subjected to. From the looks of it, I'd assume you massively over-torqued a torx screw after it was already tight - maybe I'm wrong and it was a defective bit though - it could happen if the metal wasn't properly hardened.

You would be right sir if I wasn't trying to unscrew a screw from a phone at work that was bolted by the manufacturer. Anyway my kit isn't 3 weeks old but I just now found a new work and i need them.

7 minutes ago, Vaner said:

You would be right sir if I wasn't trying to unscrew a screw from a phone at work that was bolted by the manufacturer. Anyway my kit isn't 3 weeks old but I just now found a new work and i need them.

So in the scenario that caused the failure, you were attempting to remove a screw that was "bolted" (I assume you mean over torqued and is now screwed in too tight and stuck)? And the force of you twisting the screw to loosen it resulted in the warping of the bit?

How hard were you twisting? With all of your might, or the normal (or slightly above normal) amount needed to unscrew a difficult screw?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

So in the scenario that caused the failure, you were attempting to remove a screw that was "bolted" (I assume you mean over torqued and is now screwed in too tight and stuck)? And the force of you twisting the screw to loosen it resulted in the warping of the bit?

How hard were you twisting? With all of your might, or the normal (or slightly above normal) amount needed to unscrew a difficult screw?

slightly above the normal me three finger quick unscrew. The bolt came out when we used the electric screw driver that is set at the correct torque. But the thing is that the phone didn't had a lcd interference or poke at eny crystal the customer brought it in for a touch panel  replace.

Just now, Vaner said:

slightly above the normal me three finger quick unscrew. The bolt came out when we used the electric screw driver that is set at the correct torque. But the thing is that the phone didn't had a lcd interference or poke at eny crystal the customer brought it in for a touch panel  replace.

With slightly above normal torque with a three-finger grip, you should not have been able to bend the bit like that. If that's the case, contact iFixit immediately and explain what happened. I imagine they'll replace the bit no problem - they might even replace the entire set (I would ask them to), just in case the entire set is defective (soft steel).

i've only ever seen something twisted like that when using an impact driver with a non-impact rated bit so it's pretty unusual. I would contact them.

1 minute ago, argyle said:

i've only ever seen something twisted like that when using an impact driver with a non-impact rated bit so it's pretty unusual. I would contact them.

I did it must be some kind of defect. 

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

With slightly above normal torque with a three-finger grip, you should not have been able to bend the bit like that. If that's the case, contact iFixit immediately and explain what happened. I imagine they'll replace the bit no problem - they might even replace the entire set (I would ask them to), just in case the entire set is defective (soft steel).

I'll try to but I would understand not because is the old gray one. non the less the others are very ok and every philps head doesn't have a problem.

5 minutes ago, Vaner said:

I'll try to but I would understand not because is the old gray one. non the less the others are very ok and every philps head doesn't have a problem.

As long as they replace the damaged bit, the rest is just gravy - if the provide a full replacement? Awesome! If they only replace the one bit? They've done their duty.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

As long as they replace the damaged bit, the rest is just gravy - if the provide a full replacement? Awesome! If they only replace the one bit? They've done their duty.

Yeah exactly. They are awesome anyways for their guides so they must be cool too.

Just now, Vaner said:

Yeah exactly. They are awesome anyways for their guides so they must be cool too.

My small interaction with support was pretty positive. Never had cause to contact them again, so I wish you good luck!

From my automotive experience that only happens when something is really hard to get off and you try to force it. You're supposed to either get a stronger set of tools and use more power or use wd-40 to make it easier. With a phone you may not want to use wd-40 though :P

4 minutes ago, Paranoid Kami said:

From my automotive experience that only happens when something is really hard to get off and you try to force it. You're supposed to either get a stronger set of tools and use more power or use wd-40 to make it easier. With a phone you may not want to use wd-40 though :P

yeah WD-40 and phones don't exactly mix up although oddly enough I was given a phone that was smelling like it and had some droplets inside but thankfully no oxidation (that would have been expensive to fix).

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

My small interaction with support was pretty positive. Never had cause to contact them again, so I wish you good luck!

Thank you sir. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for the people talked with me. They were super helpful and the said that they are sending me replacements plus a Bit a lost a wile ago. Kudos to them for their fast and very very Good experience I had with their Support.