Need Help Building Modded Minecraft Server

I need help picking parts out for a Revolution|3 Minecraft server. It's just me a few other people (max 5), so it doesn't have to be super powerful, just enough to run it better than in the background of 7700k machine like I'm doing now. Rev|3 is super intensive on resources with 193 mods, maxing out my 7700k and 16GB of RAM all too often, especially while I'm trying to play on it as well. I mainly just need help with the cpu, and subsequently the motherboard. It needs to be a least a quad-core, although hyperthreading would help. Intel is preferred due to higher IPC, although AMD is not out of the question. I'm also trying to fit it in a micro-ATX/mini-ITX form factor. I also prefer to have SATA 6Gb, if possible. Used hardware is 100% okay. I'm just looking for the best performance at the lowest price, so I can off-load this server from my main system.

X5650, x58 board

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

2 hours ago, Ashiella said:

X5650, x58 board

Do you have any suggestions for mini-itx or micro-atx boards?

After some research, I like the x5650 for its price to performance, but it has some issues with what I what to do with it in terms of platform. There aren't any x58 boards that are mini-itx and very few micro-atx from what I can find, and it uses triple channel RAM, with a max of 24GB. I've seen some forum posts about getting 48 to work, but I would prefer to stick with dual or quad channel RAM. The chip is pretty close to what I want (especially the price), but the platform is not quite there. I'll still consider it, but I would like some other suggestions as well.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 10/6/2017 at 2:39 PM, Lyoko Nightwing said:

Do you have any suggestions for mini-itx or micro-atx boards?

No, not in particular.

9 hours ago, Lyoko Nightwing said:

After some research, I like the x5650 for its price to performance, but it has some issues with what I what to do with it in terms of platform. There aren't any x58 boards that are mini-itx and very few micro-atx from what I can find, and it uses triple channel RAM, with a max of 24GB. I've seen some forum posts about getting 48 to work, but I would prefer to stick with dual or quad channel RAM. The chip is pretty close to what I want (especially the price), but the platform is not quite there. I'll still consider it, but I would like some other suggestions as well.

of course not, it was the highest end platform not too long ago and mini-itx practically wasnt invented yet, as for micro atx, it wasnt as popular. Triple channel > Dual channel, most motherboards only support 24GB, there are some that support 48GB though. There is no point in sticking with dual, if you can get quad, then okay, there isnt much of a difference. The chip is the best p2p you can get atm, as for the platform, it has most of the new features, its only really missing m.2 and true sata3, its basically sata 2.5, it will only go up to around 350MBPS so it will reduce ssd speed, but for HDD's it should be fine. Because its JUST for a minecraft server its the best you could get unless you feel like going with the old 16c opterons and getting 4 of them, 64c's and getting plenty of cheap ECC DDR3 is a decent idea, its gonna be cheaper than the X58 platform but it only has Sata 2, not 2.5 like X58 (Ithink) and the motherboards are huge. DM me if you still need help, and I'll try a little bit harder to find something to match your needs.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

Okay, so after many tabs of chips and motherboards being opened and closed, I finally broke down and decided on the x5650. The price on these things is just way too good. I may have found a small enough case that regular atx is fine, so that solves the size issue, but dang some of these boards are 3-4 times the price of the chips. I have to wait until November to get a board anyway, what with new Switch games coming out and all. Thanks for the help, I've been searching for a hardware plan since mid-July and finally having one at least frees up the time I've been using to search.

since a server is something you are running 24/7 and high power consumption is something this old hardware usually comes with you should to the math for yourself to see how much it might be worth to spend a little more for efficient hardware and save money on the electricity cost.

i know the prices here are very high but for example for me running a device that uses one watt for a year will cost me about 2.10€

this is why i go for very efficient hardware as even 20 watt higher average consumption will be 42€ in a single year and this adds up quickly over the years.