Secure your EA account NOW!

xGGAx

My account got hacked today, along with many, many others.

hacked_EA_question.png.cd8e428a684ba5033370a3988c74e5ae.png

I wanted to play some Battlefield 1 but my password was rejected. I clicked on "forgot my password" and I noticed I had 2 confirmation emails. One from the current request, and one from 7am.

So after getting into my account I noticed my security question was changed to something in Russian.(I dont even speak russian).

I did some googling and it turns out Im not the only one...Many others are having trouble accessing their accounts.

On top of that most info got published in a russian forum (not sure if Im allowed to post the name here, but I wont). 
All account info, including real name, games, join date, and more was made public. Some people are reporting unauthorized purchases as well.

More reports.

https://www.reddit.com/r/origin/new/

In the end I was able to get back my account thanks to tech support. I was on hold for like 30 min, but in the end they did fix my issues.

So if you have an Origin/EA account, make sure you have a secondary email enabled and/or two step verification.

TLDR:
Many EA accounts got hacked, if you have one, please enable two step verification.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

If you didn't have two step on, this was inevitable, not really news worthy.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I have a feeling your email is gone. Check your sign in history on your email, you'll be shocked.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Sadly that's a 100% true. Worst case is Uplay... go onto youtube and search uplay free accounts. IT WILL SHOCK YOU!

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I have a feeling your email is gone. Check your sign in history on your email, you'll be shocked.

Hm, I wouldn't go that far... let's just say I have reason to believe this likely happened independently of that.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I disagree.

1. A massive hack is always news worthy

2. I had a secondary email setup and got deleted. 

3. My intent is to prevent others

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

that email is my google account, probably the most secure account I have. No strange activity so far.

I wish I could post the name of the russian forum so you can see this is a massive hack with many accounts, not just mine.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

Go head hacker go play my free game which i got from origin store.

I mean i don't have any of my credit detail link to pretty much any account, apart from paypal which can easily be chargeback. 

Magical Pineapples

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hm, I wouldn't go that far... let's just say I have reason to believe this likely happened independently of that.

You'll be fine, i know you have 2FA on everything, and you'd probably track them down and kill them, if someone was to hack your account. (Or just ban them on the forums)

5 minutes ago, xGGAx said:

I disagree.

1. A massive hack is always news worthy

2. I had a secondary email setup and got deleted. 

3. My intent is to prevent others

1. I guess if it really was a lot of people and not just you, thaat's true.  If so, I expect we'll see articles about it on major news sites soon enough.  Alternatively, it's possible that there's so many accounts being hacked on a daily basis that it just seemed like a lot of people when you searched, but that the current level actually isn't above the noise.
  2. A secondary email, ok, but was it used for two factor?
  3. Yeah I guess that's a good idea, remind people to secure things properly.

I will have to check on this but I have 2FA turned On on my account... I have my SWTOR key chain lol.

Image result for swtor 2 factor key chain

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

its not the first time ea gets screwed by russian hackers

dont put sensitive information in ur ea account, simple :P

(◑‿◐)

@SansVarnic According to EA no 2FA for secondary email, only to reset password (stupid if you ask me) :S:

Add a Secondary Email to your EA Account 

A secondary email helps you reset your password if you’re locked out of your EA Account and primary email address.

1 minute ago, xGGAx said:

@SansVarnic According to EA no 2FA for secondary email, only to reset password (stupid if you ask me) :S:

Yup

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

What I heard is that they got the security questions to peoples accounts and used that to break in to accounts. And what they are doing is getting fifa along with micro transactions with stolen credit cards. After the charge back happens your account gets banned unless you play the money. 

hmmmm so thats why i've been having issues logging in.... (only to update things really lol)

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

1 minute ago, xGGAx said:

Lots of services offer a variety of ways to secure your account, and then additional features that let you bypass those security measures making it pointless.  You see this because most people simply aren't organized and responsible enough to actually keep track of their information properly, and if they were to secure their accounts properly, it would only be a matter of time before they accidentally locked themselves out with no way back in.  Ultimately, choosing secure settings that will keep an attacker out also means choosing settings that increases the risk that if you mess up, you lose it, end of story.  For those who can handle it properly this is fine, but many cannot, and they know this, so they offer ways for people to weaken their security in order to avoid getting too many complaints and help requests asking for help on how to get back into an account they lost.