What is considered high temps in Water Cooling?

Go to solution Solved by Valkyrie Lenneth,
3 minutes ago, Novabutter said:

Small FFT

then the temps are fine man, this is about as good ud get from the aio in that case :v

however the idle temps still seem high, are u sure the cpu isnt randomly beeing stressed while beeing idle? ( tat could explain it tbh )

if prime95 small fft peaks on 60, that means its not an uneven mount ( eventhough that can happen to everyone it goes straight to the 80-100*C on stock, usually 100*C instantly  on uneven mounts hehe )

dont expect too much from an AIO, thats all im saying... ul be dissapointed if u expect alot from a aio

if u want better performance id go for a noctua nh-d15 ( 3fan ofc ) or custom water hehe

other then that id just recommend u to deal with it :v

i wouldnt worry too much about oc with a 1600x btw, u got plenty of cores there and probably the frequency ul end up getting is like 4ghz/4.2 at most or smt (due to ur temps)

I'm sort of new to the water cooling scene, from air on my last system to AIO on my new one. I've never really paid attention to temperatures before cause I was a noob, but now....well I want to understand and push my new system.

What is considered normal temperatures when water cooling with the following equipment?

• Ryzen 1600X (Stock speeds. Not overclocked (yet))
  • Kraken X52 AIO

(The general temperature in my room is about 24-26°C)

First off, Ryzen has the most unmeasurable temperatures ever. I feel like through any application, including the AMD Master program, my temps fluctuate anywhere from 37°C-53°C when idle when fans are at full power. Is that normal? They are rarely consistent for me (looks like I'm not crazy here). Anyway, when gaming my temps are at 53°C-59°C. For the first time today as I was rapidly moving from benchmark to benchmark, I hit above 64°C, when of course CAM notified me, saying I'd shorten my processor's life if I kept it up. Thought that was weird since I wasn't even overclocked.

So far, is the above considered normal with all fans at "full" and at the base 3.6 Ghz? Is 64°C while benchmarking without an overclock good for water cooling? (I have seen people hit these temps on the stock air cooler.)

I'd like to overclock here soon, cause I know water cooling gives me the capability to. Could I overclock and still be "safe" on temps? What is actually considered "safe"?

Finally, is this whole thing fishy, am I paranoid and all this is normal, or am I an idiot?

**It is worth noting that I am going to go back into my case at some point and clean up my cables. BUT the main reason I'm going back in is to figure out the mess that is the Kraken Fans, cause they have this really odd splitter that I've never seen and there weren't any instructions on how to install them. They are spinning and displacing heat, so I did something right, but even at supposedly "full" blast, the fan speed is only ever at 35% and no higher (The other case fans do push 100% speed when called). SO I KNOW I DID SOMETHING WRONG, but still. What are some normal temps, and what can I look out for? And ASUS bloatware kind of took over the fan system and wants to program it itself.

Main.PNG

Kraken.PNG

Kraken X52 AIO

^

its an AIO not actual watercooling

some aircoolers perform better than AIO coolers by far even

however those idle temps are too high r u sure u didnt make an uneven mount?  also run prime95 small fft mode to check max temp :)

(◑‿◐)

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

however those idle temps are too high r u sure u didnt make an uneven mount?  also run prime95 small fft mode to check max temp :)

Pretty sure I didn't. I double checked during original assembly (I had a faulty motherboard the first go around) and I made sure I was doing it right. I can check again this weekend though.

3 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

Kraken X52 AIO

^

Ok. What substance is in those tubes then??

So what's the point of AIOs? Still feel like the Kraken should perform better than it is, and should beat out any decent air cooler.

2 minutes ago, Novabutter said:

Pretty sure I didn't. I double checked during original assembly (I had a faulty motherboard the first go around) and I made sure I was doing it right. I can check again this weekend though.

Ok. What substance is in those tubes then??

So what's the point of AIOs? Still feel like the Kraken should perform better than it is, and should beat out any decent air cooler.

yeah theres water in the tubes but its a closed loop so it doesnt really count as water cooling, as watercooling we refer to custom water basicly

the point of aio...   its to make ur system look good with some decent performance, but by far not the best performance... alot of AIO's are quite dissapointing if u only want them for performance

the kraken u got is about as good as a corsair h80i and a nh-d15 beats it by far ( had a h80i myself and i dropped 15*C going to a nh-d15 ) , and that is aio vs air :P

(◑‿◐)

aside all that, idle temps should be between 30-35*C usually ( 40 is even considered high for idle )

so the fact that ur hitting 53 in idle... even stranger from 37°C-53°C when idle  ( high changes in the temp )    kinda is a sign of an uneven mount

(◑‿◐)

Just now, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

yeah theres water in the tubes but its a closed loop so it doesnt really count as water cooling, as watercooling we refer to custom water basicly

Custom Water.....distilled water.....colored water.....

Pretty sure it's in the water cooling category as it cools the processor, and displaces heat through water. Just not the "custom loop" or better version.

4 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

the point of aio...   its to make ur system look good with some decent performance, but by far not the best performance... alot of AIO's are quite dissapointing if u only want them for performance

the kraken u got is about as good as a corsair h80i and a nh-d15 beats it by far ( had a h80i myself and i dropped 15*C going to a nh-d15 ) , and that is aio vs air :P

Yeah yeah. The Kraken looks beautiful, is quiet, and I can get good performance. It's just stupid that an AIO isn't at least marginally better on all accounts. 

But how do I fix these temps, cause I feel like no AIO should have this bad of temps idle.

aside all that, idle temps should be between 30-35*C usually ( 40 is even considered high for idle )

so the fact that ur hitting 53 in idle... even stranger from 37°C-53°C when idle  ( high changes in the temp )    kinda is a sign of an uneven mount

Okay cool. That's a starting point. I'll look into it this weekend. Now let me ask you, a) are all the other temps while gaming and benching normal, or still off? b) Is that 30-35°C without the fans roaring like a jet engine (slight exaggeration)?

8 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

as watercooling we refer to custom water basicly

Who is "we"? I consider an AIO, watercooling. It has all the components. It's just prefab.

Pretty sure it's in the water cooling category as it cools the processor, and displaces heat through water. Just not the "custom loop" or better version.

Yeah yeah. The Kraken looks beautiful, is quiet, and I can get good performance. It's just stupid that an AIO isn't at least marginally better on all accounts. 

But how do I fix these temps, cause I feel like no AIO should have this bad of temps idle.

make sure to not use too little thermal paste and not way too much either so it wont squeeze around ur cpu

also when screwing on the waterblock basicly , make sure to do it in a cross pattern and dont go many turns on a single screw, just have patience and do 1turn per screw in a cross pattern, might take 2minutes but atleast ur ensured that thing will be mounted straight

if u have done a proper remount then i guess thats just what the aio can handle :S ( would be quite dissapointing as those idle temps are way too high )

if that idle temps remain that high i would even refer to a half working pump or somthing ( in otherwords rma )

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Who is "we"? I consider an AIO, watercooling. It has all the components. It's just prefab.

Boom. Okay...Now the issue....

check the mounting pressure make sure it's even. take the cooler off than put it back on (don't worry about having to reapply thermal paste you don't have to do that). and AIO have a glycol water mix not actually just water 40 to 60% glycol (glycol as in antyfreeze type of stuff)

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Boom. Now the issue....

4 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

That liquid cooling, closed loop cooler (CLC) or All-in-one (AIO) not really what's considered 'water cooling' which is usually a reference to the full custom loop designs.

just because an graphic card has GAMING in its name doesnt mean its actually good for gaming(same for keyboard/mouse and many other components), its just a label to distract ppl who dont know as much about stuff to sell the stuff better

(◑‿◐)

make sure to not use too little thermal paste and not way too much either so it wont squeeze around ur cpu

also when screwing on the waterblock basicly , make sure to do it in a cross pattern and dont go many turns on a single screw, just have patience and do 1turn per screw in a cross pattern, might take 2minutes but atleast ur ensured that thing will be mounted straight

if u have done a proper remount then i guess thats just what the aio can handle :S ( would be quite dissapointing as those idle temps are way too high )

if that idle temps remain that high i would even refer to a half working pump or somthing ( in otherwords rma )

See I did that...but I'll do it again. Maybe I just didn't do it exactly right.

This cooler is infamously known for its pump being faulty. That is a possibility. 

Btw, an watercooling setup might fluctuate less in temp, because the liquid will soak up heat. (and release it at a later/slow point in time) When you quit a program which did stress your CPU, your liquid needs a bit of time to heat up. (it's the reverse proces of running a stress test for an hour, to get a stable max temp)

If your temps fluctuate like crazy, your AIO might be damaged/have lost some liquid. Does it change temp to the touch? (maybe faulty temp sensor?)

2 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

check the mounting pressure make sure it's even. take the cooler off than put it back on (don't worry about having to reapply thermal paste you don't have to do that). and AIO have a glycol water mix not actually just water 40 to 60% glycol (glycol as in antyfreeze type of stuff)

Nice. That's cool.

That liquid cooling, closed loop cooler (CLC) or All-in-one (AIO) not really what's considered 'water cooling' which is usually a reference to the full custom loop designs.

does an AIO cooler use water (and maybe some other juices) to exchange heat from a CPU (or GPU, I don't discriminate) into a radiator, to be exchanged with the air yes or no.

OP if you're seeing under 60c at full load, I would be a happy camper unless I had a massive rad like a 360 or something.

ASU

1 minute ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Btw, an watercooling setup might fluctuate less in temp, because the liquid will soak up heat. (and release it at a later/slow point in time) When you quit a program which did stress your CPU, your liquid needs a bit of time to heat up. (it's the reverse proces of running a stress test for an hour, to get a stable max temp)

If your temps fluctuate like crazy, your AIO might be damaged/have lost some liquid. Does it change temp to the touch? (maybe faulty temp sensor?)

I am aware of the temp water temp needing to cool after benching. Change temp to the touch??

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

does an AIO cooler use water (and maybe some other juices) to exchange heat from a CPU (or GPU, I don't discriminate) into a radiator, to be exchanged with the air yes or no.

Okay okay. Wrong thing to focus on here, sorry.

My aircooler used to have an nice blue LED fan inside it's copper housing. Had wires attached. Had even a plate which could be placed ontop of the CPU. Other then clicking this thing on, it was an All In One cooler. Just not a AIO watercooler.

1 minute ago, Novabutter said:

lmao you're right, but I can't believe someone was saying that an AIO water cooler isn't water cooling. Did you see the rest of my reply?

ASU

27 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

Kraken X52 AIO

^

Definitely right there. With my CPU overclocked at 5.0 @ 1.35v , on my Corsair h110i , my average temp was around 70 with Max temp of 73. With my CPU overclocked to 5.1ghz @ 1.38v, and my custom loop, my average temp is 54 and my Max temp was 64

EDIT: I misread, I thought he was saying a custom loop will perform better than a closed loop liquid cooler.

Edited by PETRGangKing

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

the first thing u should do is run prime95 on small fft ( that way ul get the highest temp possible on the chip ) if pops to 100*C instantly its 100% an uneven mount

on stock prime95 small fft should easily be able to run with maxtemp of like 50-60 for most cpus ( including intel )

if it starts hitting 80+ id say uneven mount guaranteed

(◑‿◐)

Change temp to the touch??

At one point in time, I had my doubts about the temps my PC gave me. >>> touching my aircooler, and noticing it was "cold to the touch", while it was supposed to be 80c. Reseated the heatsink, and it still gave me this issue. >>> faulty temp sensor.

Could someone answer in terms of (ambient temperature +- <degrees> = acceptable cooling level) for liquid, AIO, and air cooling? :)