What is considered high temps in Water Cooling?

Go to solution Solved by Valkyrie Lenneth,
3 minutes ago, Novabutter said:

Small FFT

then the temps are fine man, this is about as good ud get from the aio in that case :v

however the idle temps still seem high, are u sure the cpu isnt randomly beeing stressed while beeing idle? ( tat could explain it tbh )

if prime95 small fft peaks on 60, that means its not an uneven mount ( eventhough that can happen to everyone it goes straight to the 80-100*C on stock, usually 100*C instantly  on uneven mounts hehe )

dont expect too much from an AIO, thats all im saying... ul be dissapointed if u expect alot from a aio

if u want better performance id go for a noctua nh-d15 ( 3fan ofc ) or custom water hehe

other then that id just recommend u to deal with it :v

i wouldnt worry too much about oc with a 1600x btw, u got plenty of cores there and probably the frequency ul end up getting is like 4ghz/4.2 at most or smt (due to ur temps)

2 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

At one point in time, I had my doubts about the temps my PC gave me. >>> touching my aircooler, and noticing it was "cold to the touch", while it was supposed to be 80c. Reseated the heatsink, and it still gave me this issue. >>> faulty temp sensor.

if a cooler is cold to the touch that means it aint transferring the heat properly, even on not such heavy loads u should feel some type of warmth on an aircooler ( especially the heatpipes )

if u had a cold to the touch cooler u also had just an unevenmount or airbubbles in ur thermal paste or smt

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, MaxBunny said:

Could someone answer in terms of (ambient temperature +- <degrees> = acceptable cooling level) for liquid, AIO, and air cooling? :)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

AMAZING QUESTION

4 minutes ago, PETRGangKing said:

Definitely right there. With my CPU overclocked at 5.0 @ 1.35v , on my Corsair h110i , my average temp was around 70 with Max temp of 73. With my CPU overclocked to 5.1ghz @ 1.38v, and my custom loop, my average temp is 54 and my Max temp was 64

yeah ive had several aio,s and i got quite dissapointed everytime, decided to stick with a 3fan noctua nh-d15 instead :) as i dont wanna spend the whole bang on custom water hehe

custom loop is just masterrace when it comes to cooling, but its also a master on ur wallet sadly, id rather switch to an i7 then going water :)  ( using an 4690k still xD )

(◑‿◐)

4 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

the first thing u should do is run prime95 on small fft ( that way ul get the highest temp possible on the chip ) if pops to 100*C instantly its 100% an uneven mount

on stock prime95 small fft should easily be able to run with maxtemp of like 50-60 for most cpus ( including intel )

if it starts hitting 80+ id say uneven mount guaranteed

Doing that now.

2 minutes ago, Novabutter said:

Doing that now.

:) lemme know how it goes, tbh in ur case i would do a remount no matter what, just to make sure hehe ^^

(◑‿◐)

*sigh* I really dislike you. You are wrong. I told you about an experiance I had. It was an faulty sensor in my case. Just gave advice to check this. And I also added " thingies around *cold to the touch*.

1 minute ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

yeah ive had several aio,s and i got quite dissapointed everytime, decided to stick with a 3fan noctua nh-d15 instead :) as i dont wanna spend the whole bang on custom water hehe

custom loop is just masterrace when it comes to cooling, but its also a master on ur wallet sadly, id rather switch to an i7 then going water :)  ( using an 4690k still xD )

But they look like a freaking engine and do help when going for beating your gamer friends on benches....

Just now, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

Those noctua coolers are boss tho. I swear by noctua, all my case fans except for the front 3 led that came with case are noctua and I have 3 slim 120mm noctua on my radiator. 

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

*sigh* I really dislike you. You are wrong. I told you about an experiance I had. It was an faulty sensor in my case. Just gave advice to check this. And I also added " thingies around *cold to the touch*.

Ok. I'll look into that. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

:) lemme know how it goes, tbh in ur case i would do a remount no matter what, just to make sure hehe ^^

Here's what we got...(How long does this go on...)

Torture.PNG

How much thermal paste you put on?

I dont know how much people agree with me but in the end you still want a metal to metal contact with your water block and CPU.  Thermal paste should only be to fill in the gaps between the metals.

Usually I will put a 0.5 cm half sphere of paste on the casing, then use a razor blade to flatten it out the best I can, do the same for the water block, then press them together.  

I get about 30-33C in summers and 26-28 in winters.

Here's what we got...

Torture.PNG

60*C with prime95 SMALL FFT? or  blend?

if its with SMALL FFT the temps are actually fine

(◑‿◐)

60*C with prime95 SMALL FFT? or  blend?

if its with SMALL FFT the temps are actually fine

Small FFT

3 minutes ago, Novabutter said:

Small FFT

then the temps are fine man, this is about as good ud get from the aio in that case :v

however the idle temps still seem high, are u sure the cpu isnt randomly beeing stressed while beeing idle? ( tat could explain it tbh )

if prime95 small fft peaks on 60, that means its not an uneven mount ( eventhough that can happen to everyone it goes straight to the 80-100*C on stock, usually 100*C instantly  on uneven mounts hehe )

dont expect too much from an AIO, thats all im saying... ul be dissapointed if u expect alot from a aio

if u want better performance id go for a noctua nh-d15 ( 3fan ofc ) or custom water hehe

other then that id just recommend u to deal with it :v

i wouldnt worry too much about oc with a 1600x btw, u got plenty of cores there and probably the frequency ul end up getting is like 4ghz/4.2 at most or smt (due to ur temps)

(◑‿◐)

It may just be today. I usually see it from as low as (lowest I've personally seen) 34°C to around 48°C while idle. For some reason today it's sitting around 50 and I have done nothing but post and surf in the past hour its been running. BTW It's at 62°C as of right now at 100% Load. The only background things I have running are whatever Aura needs, ArsClip, Avast, Malwarebytes, Wallpaper engine, and f.lux. So no, it shouldn't be any serious issue.

It may just be today. I usually see it from as low as (lowest I've personally seen) 34°C to around 48°C while idle. For some reason today it's sitting around 50 and I have done nothing but post and surf in the past hour its been running. BTW It's at 62°C as of right now at 100% Load. The only background things I have running are whatever Aura needs, ArsClip, Avast, Malwarebytes, Wallpaper engine, and f.lux. So no, it shouldn't be any serious issue.

ah just keep in mind small things such as wallpaper engine can affect ur idle temps by 10degree easily ( idle temps fluctuate really easy hehe )

BTW It's at 62°C as of right now at 100% Load

^ if u still running prime95 small fft and its 62*C ur temps are 100% fine, i can confirm that its the aios standard performance then

(◑‿◐)

ah just keep in mind small things such as wallpaper engine can affect ur idle temps by 10degree easily ( idle temps fluctuate really easy hehe )

No way. A full 10°C for wallpaper engine? How do laptops with that software even post?

No way. A full 10°C for wallpaper engine? How do laptops with that software even post?

haha idle temps, it happens to all systems :) they always fluctuate 10*C easily ( especially intel lol )

even moving ur mouse can give it 3-5*C xD

(◑‿◐)

3 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

BTW It's at 62°C as of right now at 100% Load

^ if u still running prime95 small fft and its 62*C ur temps are 100% fine, i can confirm that its the aios standard performance then

Main questions from OP:

Could I overclock and still be "safe" on temps? What is actually considered "safe" on all those idle, gaming, and benching?

Is 64°C while benchmarking without an overclock good for water cooling?

haha idle temps, it happens to all systems :) they always fluctuate 10*C easily ( especially intel lol )

even moving ur mouse can give it 3-5*C xD

10°C? That's actually way too much to get an accurate count on, which would explain my higher temps. 37-47 would be "normal" and 53 is just slightly out of that margin.

4 minutes ago, Novabutter said:

Main questions from OP:

Could I overclock and still be "safe" on temps? What is actually considered "safe" on all those idle, gaming, and benching?

well, 50-60*C is quite average for small fft runs on prime95 on around all chips, since its a high thread cpu its quite normal for no oc :)

oc should  give +- 20*C in most cases

u can still oc and be safe as far i know

Try to keep it below 90 C  (80-85C would be nice)

max temp ( throttle ) for ryzen is 95*C so yeah u have quite some headroom still

yeah its safe , i would recommend 95*C 24/7 tho it will result into degradation overtime

the oc temps really depend on how high u increase the frequency and how much volts u add ( extra watts = more heat )

(◑‿◐)

Main questions from OP:

Yes, you've got about 15 degree of thermal headroom here, maybe even a little more. Myself, I go for the highest clock I can get at a safe voltage while staying under 80 during stress tests.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

i would recommend 95*C 24/7 tho it will result into degradation overtime

You would recommend????

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

well, 50-60*C is quite average for small fft runs on prime95 on around all chips, since its a high thread cpu its quite normal for no oc :)

oc should  give +- 20*C in most cases

u can still oc and be safe as far i know

Try to keep it below 90 C  (80-85C would be nice)

max temp ( throttle ) for ryzen is 95*C so yeah u have quite some headroom still

Is 80 C Normal for an OC? I feel like that may be on the border of acceptable.

2 minutes ago, PETRGangKing said:

Yes, you've got about 15 degree of thermal headroom here, maybe even a little more. Myself, I go for the highest clock I can get at a safe voltage while staying under 80 during stress tests.

15. High clock, low volt, <80. Got it.

5 minutes ago, Novabutter said:

You would recommend????

Is 80 C Normal for an OC? I feel like that may be on the border of acceptable.

for prime95 small fft ( depending wether my voltage goes extreme or not )

with no extreme voltage i usually peak to 90-93*C ( as my border of acceptable basicly 90 )

80 is quite normal for oc, thats my exact temp right now in my current oc on my 4690k @ small fft :)

at 80*C i still push it somtimes haha,

while prime95 small fft runs it really is the max temp possible and u wont even get near that temps in gaming ect, if its like 85-90*C with small fft, with gaming its prolly gonna end up in the 60-70*C range

since max temp on ur chip is 95*C i would just stick with 90*C max temp @ SMALL FFT mode :)

unless ur voltage is extremely high ( i doubt u can even reach extreme high voltages on ur cooling solution tbh )

basicly short said i think ur fine till 90*C 

remember even if ur cpu pops to 100*C doesnt mean it will damage instantly, it will take weeks/months to damage it , just not recommend to go above 90*C for extended periods

however if ur on extreme volts like 1.5/1.6v ( depending on what is extreme for ur chip ofc )

90*C can actually kill the chip in that case xD but thats only with really high voltages ( mostly 1.55+ , OFC THIS DEPENDS ON THE CHIP)

(◑‿◐)