4770k I7

16 gig DDR3 Ripjaw Series X

MSI z87-gd65

Gigabyte R9 290x

Stuff that I am keeping:

Bquiet Dark Power 850

Bquiet Dark Rock Pro 3

Samsung EVO 1tb SSD Adding in a Raid 1 M.2 

So I just ordered my EVGA 1080ti FTW and will be running it with my current build for a little while (Month or so) until I get my 1440 ultrawide. 

So I am looking to upgrade my system to ensure there is no bottle neck with the CPU running at 1440.

The hardware I have been looking at is the AsRock Tachie Board, 16 gig Dominator Ram and CPU is where my big question is. I will be primarily just gaming on this machine, not really a content creator, I will edit family videos, perhaps maybe streaming some games, but I do not consider myself a streamer. Just a casual gamer, that enjoys a nice rig. So the question is Ryzen7, Threadripper, or Coffee Lake? I have seen tons of bench marks, but looking for people who have experience hands on that are not biased to a brand. Looking for the best solution for that price, or if I should jump to the threadripper 1900x. Not going to spend more then that on a CPU. 

Cost isn't a huge issue, because I planned to offset it with selling of the gear that I upgraded. So if you guys know of another MB that blows the Tachie away around the same price point, or etc please let me know. 

Also... with the M.2 I noticed WD blues are a much lower price then Samsung. Would anyone recommend these? They will be in Raid 1....Would rather not spend a fortune on these drives. My opinion is WD makes a good product and running raid 1 will be more then enough reliability. 

No TR.  It's not really a gaming system.  If the 8700K blows everything else out of the water (For Gaming) then there is you answer.  If not then the 1700 would be my vote.

The 4770K should be more than enough to run most games at 165 FPS. You can try running the 4770K with the 1080 Ti with the new monitor, and figure out if the CPU is bottlenecking. 

WD SSDs are rebranded SanDisk SSDs, So they are not considered as good as Samsung drives, but they should be fine. Don't get an NVMe drive, unless you will actually read and write large files off and into it. The SATA version of the and 850 Evo, SL308, MX300 should be fine. 

:)

Hey! I'm upgrading too! i7 8700k is the one to go now [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

if your building a "Gaming PC" do NOT buy threadripper lol. It is a fantastic chip, but for multithreaded workloads. Its not really designed to be the king of gaming so you can get its level of power out of something waaaay cheaper. 

out of the ryzen series, an R7  1700 would be good for gaming, multitasking, streaming, recording, ETC. if you dont need all that out of it, you could get an R5 1600 and OC it and get basically the exact same gaming results out of it for a good portion cheaper, and still be able to do a good ammount of multitasking with it as well. For team blue, i would definately wait til coffee lake comes out and see the exact benchmarks for their new lineup. the i5 8600k sounds like its going to be a great bang for the buck gaming CPU, and the 8700k is gonna be the ryzen equivalent of great gaming and everything else all in one and is supposedly gonna kick the crap out of everything else..

If your worry is bottlenecking your gpu by having an underpowered cpu, its actually pretty hard to do nowadays with how strong they make them. gaming on 1080p, a pentium G4560 doesnt bottleneck the GPU until it reaches the 1080TI - Titan levels, and thats a dual core HT chip lol. 

All in all, your PC now seems fine. If its a must that you upgrade, it basically depends on how much headroom you want for multitasking needs for how many cores/threads you want out of a cpu, and how much you wanna spend. R5+ and i5+ and you should be fine. Hope this helps a bit ^_^

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

The 4770K should be more than enough to run most games at 165 FPS. You can try running the 4770K with the 1080 Ti with the new monitor, and figure out if the CPU is bottlenecking. 

WD SSDs are rebranded SanDisk SSDs, So they are not considered as good as Samsung drives, but they should be fine. Don't get an NVMe drive, unless you will actually read and write large files off and into it. The SATA version of the and 850 Evo, SL308, MX300 should be fine. 

Thanks, I was looking at some tests and with high settings the 4770k does work, but I saw some games at 60fps. I also figured that it would be better to sell now and upgrade sooner to get more money before my hardware's value goes down further. 

4770k is still perfectly fine. Absolutely no need for a CPU upgrade. Ryzen 7 has similar single core performance to Haswell anyway so that wouldn't be an upgrade for you anyway. TR4 is same IPC but more cores, so even more useless for you. Only logical CPU upgrade for you is an 8700k once it releases but even that likely isn't a necessary upgrade. Stick with your 4770k for a while, and overclock it. For SSD, get an 850 EVO or MX300.

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz | Asus Maximus VII Hero | NZXT Kraken X61 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro(Red) @ 1866MHz | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 250GB Samsung 850-EVO | 2- way SLI Asus Strix GTX 970's @ 1500MHz | EVGA 750W G2 | NZXT H440(black/red) | 3x120mm Sharkoon Shark Blade fans(red) | 3x140mm Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans |

1 minute ago, Trulop said:

if your building a "Gaming PC" do NOT buy threadripper lol. It is a fantastic chip, but for multithreaded workloads. Its not really designed to be the king of gaming so you can get its level of power out of something waaaay cheaper. 

out of the ryzen series, an R7  1700 would be good for gaming, multitasking, streaming, recording, ETC. if you dont need all that out of it, you could get an R5 1600 and OC it and get basically the exact same gaming results out of it for a good portion cheaper, and still be able to do a good ammount of multitasking with it as well. For team blue, i would definately wait til coffee lake comes out and see the exact benchmarks for their new lineup. the i5 8600k sounds like its going to be a great bang for the buck gaming CPU, and the 8700k is gonna be the ryzen equivalent of great gaming and everything else all in one and is supposedly gonna kick the crap out of everything else..

If your worry is bottlenecking your gpu by having an underpowered cpu, its actually pretty hard to do nowadays with how strong they make them. gaming on 1080p, a pentium G4560 doesnt bottleneck the GPU until it reaches the 1080TI - Titan levels, and thats a dual core HT chip lol. 

All in all, your PC now seems fine. If its a must that you upgrade, it basically depends on how much headroom you want for multitasking needs for how many cores/threads you want out of a cpu, and how much you wanna spend. R5+ and i5+ and you should be fine. Hope this helps a bit ^_^

Thanks for the info. Money is not a huge issue. Not on a strict budget, so the difference between an I5 and I7 are nothing. Other then gaming this machine is 100% standard computer use. 

Mostly to be honest I have to bug to upgrade and figured I can finance most of it selling my CPU, RAM, MOBO, and GPU. I all ready have the 1080ti so thats outside the cost. 

why dont you just wait 

get the ultra-wide and start gaming

then please tell us what your cpu and gpu usage is with the 4770k and 1080ti (like seriously please let us know how it performs so the community has a better understanding instead of throwing out predictions and hypotheticals)

your current i7 is more than enough

Photography / Finance / Gaming

1 minute ago, JusticeBeaver said:

Thanks for the info. Money is not a huge issue. Not on a strict budget, so the difference between an I5 and I7 are nothing. Other then gaming this machine is 100% standard computer use. 

Mostly to be honest I have to bug to upgrade and figured I can finance most of it selling my CPU, RAM, MOBO, and GPU. I all ready have the 1080ti so thats outside the cost. 

I personally wouldnt upgrade your rig yet. you have a great machine for what your doing with it. its in no way some bottom feeder dying out. OC it a bit with a decent cooler and youll be fine for a good while. If you are deadset on upgrading and money isnt an option, its always a good idea to build a PC with more headroom than you actually need for future proofing. you may not need it now, but in the future you may find yourself interested in something that needs more cores, or games on dx12 will finally be a standard and you can utilize more than 4 cores. Coffee lake sounds like its going to be a pretty good sizeable upgrade over the 7th gen intel cpu's. wait a few more days til they come out, wait for some good solid benchmarks to see what the deal is with em, and then decide if you want to upgrade. 

20 minutes ago, JusticeBeaver said:

Also... with the M.2 I noticed WD blues are a much lower price then Samsung.

the WD Blue are SATA 

the WD Black are NVME

Photography / Finance / Gaming

2 minutes ago, mok said:

why dont you just wait 

get the ultra-wide and start gaming

then please tell us what your cpu and gpu usage is with the 4770k and 1080ti (like seriously please let us know how it performs so the community has a better understanding instead of throwing out predictions and hypotheticals)

your current i7 is more than enough

I will probably end up doing this. I am not in a hurry to upgrade. I like to plan for a few months to ensure I spend money wisely and not waste it. 

I should have my ultrawide in a month, so I will toss up bench marks on it and do a video for you guys. 

1 hour ago, JusticeBeaver said:

My current build I'm upgrading from:

4770k I7

16 gig DDR3 Ripjaw Series X

MSI z87-gd65

Gigabyte R9 290x

Cost isn't a huge issue, because I planned to offset it with selling of the gear that I upgraded. So if you guys know of another MB that blows the Tachie away around the same price point, or etc please let me know. 

Also... with the M.2 I noticed WD blues are a much lower price then Samsung. Would anyone recommend these? They will be in Raid 1....Would rather not spend a fortune on these drives. My opinion is WD makes a good product and running raid 1 will be more then enough reliability. 

Keep the i7-4770K until it is proven not to deliver a performance level acceptable to you. It's a decent cpu and should do a good job. If you need to upgrade, take a look at the i7-8700K benchmarks. It will likely be the best choice.

The WD Blue M.2 is a SATA III drive. It is much slower than the NVMe Samsung 960, and a bit slower than the SATA III M.2 Samsung 850 Evo.

Make regular (frequent) backups instead of depending on RAID 1. RAID, (other than level 0), is intended for environments that have no tolerance of downtime. Instead of buying two M.2 drives, buy a bigger and/or faster one.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.