Ryzen Build, about to pull the trigger so please review!!

Lazorsnipes

Ok, have been working on getting things together and finally looking to bite the bullet and order everything.  So here is what I am looking at, I currently do not need Mouse/keyboard and my monitor is LG 34UM59-P 34" 21:9 FreeSync IPS Monitor

CPU   $219.99 Buy
CPU Cooler   $59.90 Buy
Motherboard   $183.98 Buy
Memory   $158.99 Buy
Storage   $233.88 Buy
Video Card   $434.89 Buy
Case   $219.90 Buy
Power Supply   $159.90

I have other SSD's and HDD that I will be adding from older system.  My budget is around $1800 to $2200 US.

The reason for the computer is for Photo Editing, very little video editing,  YouTube/Netflix, surfing web/email and playing some newer games. I have not been playing games besides War Thunder for a couple of years now, but my current system will not run anything new that I am looking at.   I plan on running 1080P not 4k for now.  Not sure when I would switch to 4k. 

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, I am planning on doing this within the next week or two!!!

Personally I would re-use an old case, or get a cheap temporary one and upgrade to a 1080 or 1080 Ti. Then get the DBP900 later on when you have some extra cash and just move the system into it. Just a thought!

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k 3.7Ghz MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (4x4) Storage: Crucial MX300 275Gb | WD Blue 1Tb

GPU: XFX RS RX480 8Gb Case: Corsair 270R PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 750w

Monitors: HP 22cwa | BenQ BL2420PT  Cans: ATH-M50x 

You're pretty much set, though there's a few things I would change.

RAM -- DDR4 is super expensive right now, so I'd recommend just getting 8Gigs (plenty for photo editing & War thunder), and upgrading when it gets a bit cheaper

Storage - If you don't have one already, try to squeeze in an HDD, it's really useful.

Otherwise, looks great! 

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

1 minute ago, sauce-c said:

Personally I would re-use an old case, or get a cheap temporary one and upgrade to a 1080 or 1080 Ti. Then get the DBP900 later on when you have some extra cash and just move the system into it. Just a thought!

I am currently at $1800, so going to a 1080ti would be within the budget.  Just wasn't sure I needed to if I am only at 1080P res??

1 minute ago, bob51zhang said:

You're pretty much set, though there's a few things I would change.

RAM -- DDR4 is super expensive right now, so I'd recommend just getting 8Gigs (plenty for photo editing & War thunder), and upgrading when it gets a bit cheaper

Storage - If you don't have one already, try to squeeze in an HDD, it's really useful.

Otherwise, looks great! 

Because I use it for photo editing, I need 16MB to start, would like to go to 32 in the future.  I have plenty of SSD's and HDD's that I will be adding to the system already.  What are your thoughts on GPU?? should I go to 1080ti??

Just now, Lazorsnipes said:

I am currently at $1800, so going to a 1080ti would be within the budget.  Just wasn't sure I needed to if I am only at 1080P res??

Valid point. It will be a more future proof choice though. If you decide to run 4k you'll be in a much better position, it could provide better frames for these new games you said you were looking at as well. Either way, I always prefer to get the best that I can afford at the time so that I can push off upgrading as long as possible. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k 3.7Ghz MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (4x4) Storage: Crucial MX300 275Gb | WD Blue 1Tb

GPU: XFX RS RX480 8Gb Case: Corsair 270R PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 750w

Monitors: HP 22cwa | BenQ BL2420PT  Cans: ATH-M50x 

8 minutes ago, Lazorsnipes said:

Ok, have been working on getting things together and finally looking to bite the bullet and order everything.  So here is what I am looking at, I currently do not need Mouse/keyboard and my monitor is LG 34UM59-P 34" 21:9 FreeSync IPS Monitor

CPU   $219.99 Buy
CPU Cooler   $59.90 Buy
Motherboard   $183.98 Buy
Memory   $158.99 Buy
Storage   $233.88 Buy
Video Card   $434.89 Buy
Case   $219.90 Buy
Power Supply   $159.90

I have other SSD's and HDD that I will be adding from older system.  My budget is around $1800 to $2200 US.

The reason for the computer is for Photo Editing, very little video editing,  YouTube/Netflix, surfing web/email and playing some newer games. I have not been playing games besides War Thunder for a couple of years now, but my current system will not run anything new that I am looking at.   I plan on running 1080P not 4k for now.  Not sure when I would switch to 4k. 

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, I am planning on doing this within the next week or two!!!

As you have a Freesync monitor you might want to go with a Vega 56. If you go with a GTX 1070 then you won't be able to use the variable refresh rate.

The R5 1600 would give you a decent stock cooler as a backup. It should overclock pretty similar.

A B350 board could also save you money if you are not going to go with a CF/SLI setup. The Asus B350-F Strix is a good board.

I would swap out the psu for something like a Seasonic Focus Gold. A 550w/650W would be enough.

Also that build might look a bit empty in that huge full tower case.

2 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

As you have a Freesync monitor you might want to go with a Vega 56. If you go with a GTX 1070 then you won't be able to use the variable refresh rate.

The R5 1600 would give you a decent stock cooler as a backup. It should overclock pretty similar.

A B350 board could also save you money if you are not going to go with a CF/SLI setup. The Asus B350-F Strix is a good board.

I would swap out the psu for something like a Seasonic Focus Gold. A 550w/650W would be enough.

Also that build might look a bit empty in that huge full tower case.

I like the Vega idea.  I have always been a fan of ASUS but read many reviews about the board you mentioned and it seemed the ASRock board had the least issues with Ryzen.

Need room for the mini Christmas tree I am adding inside!!

1080 Ti is stupidly overkill for 1080p, unless you have a 144 or 240 Hz monitor. The build looks fairly nice, but I would change things.

1600 instead of 1600X. Those $30 are better spent elsewhere. Literally anywhere. $30 worth of candy, for example. 

The Taichi is really nice, but something like the X370 Prime Pro would be sufficient for an overclocked Ryzen 7. 

Are you sure you want to spend the additional $80 for the 960 Evo, rather than a SATA SSD?

That's a huge case. Custom loop water cooling?

Good PSU, but overkill in terms of wattage, and it's only semi modular. Focus Plus Gold/Platinum, G2/G3, RMx/RMi, Cooler Master V-series are all good choices. Use the PSU tier list for reference. 550-650W is enough. 

With a $2000 budget, I think you should be able to fit a 1440p 165 Hz G-sync monitor and/or the 8700K, when it comes out on Thursday. 

:)

18 minutes ago, Lazorsnipes said:

The reason for the computer is for Photo Editing, very little video editing,  YouTube/Netflix, surfing web/email and playing some newer games.

Wait for the i5-8600K. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 minutes ago, Lazorsnipes said:

I like the Vega idea.  I have always been a fan of ASUS but read many reviews about the board you mentioned and it seemed the ASRock board had the least issues with Ryzen.

Need room for the mini Christmas tree I am adding inside!!

The custom Vega cards should hopefully be out soon. The Asus B350-F won't have any issues with a 6 core R5. If you want the best boards then stick with the Taichi or the Asus Crosshair VI.

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

1080 Ti is stupidly overkill for 1080p, unless you have a 144 or 240 Hz monitor. The build looks fairly nice, but I would change things.

1600 instead of 1600X. Those $30 are better spent elsewhere. Literally anywhere. $30 worth of candy, for example. 

The Taichi is really nice, but something like the X370 Prime Pro would be sufficient for an overclocked Ryzen 7. 

Are you sure you want to spend the additional $80 for the 960 Evo, rather than a SATA SSD?

That's a huge case. Custom loop water cooling?

Good PSU, but overkill in terms of wattage, and it's only semi modular. Focus Plus Gold/Platinum, G2/G3, RMx/RMi, Cooler Master V-series are all good choices. Use the PSU tier list for reference. 550-650W is enough. 

With a $2000 budget, I think you should be able to fit a 1440p 165 Hz G-sync monitor and/or the 8700K, when it comes out on Thursday. 

I guess the 1080ti was for future upgrade to 4k later on, and I have a couple of SSD's one will be for windows 10, the 960 Evo is for my scratch disc for photo editing. I was looking at the beqiet 650 PSU, but for $10 difference I thought why not go higher for future if need be??

1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

The custom Vega cards should hopefully be out soon. The Asus B350-F won't have any issues with a 6 core R5. If you want the best boards then stick with the Taichi or the Asus Crosshair VI.

Thanks for the info, now I will reconfigure with Vega and see how it looks price wise and from what others have said I may look for a smaller case!!  Thanks again!!

19 minutes ago, Lazorsnipes said:

at 1080p you don't even "need" a 1070. it just makes more sense to get the better one at this budget

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

1 minute ago, Lazorsnipes said:

I guess the 1080ti was for future upgrade to 4k later on, and I have a couple of SSD's one will be for windows 10, the 960 Evo is for my scratch disc for photo editing. I was looking at the beqiet 650 PSU, but for $10 difference I thought why not go higher for future if need be??

For 4K, 1080 Ti makes sense. 

Gotcha on the SSD, though I don't know how much it will actually affect the performance.

But you can get other, fully modular tier 1 PSUs for lower prices. You should be able. But it's a nice unit, with Apple-esque touches. Like hiding the screws under a silicone thing, blacking out all of the components internally, etc. Personally, I wouldn't buy a semi modular unit at the price, though. Here's the review on Jonnyguru http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=467

If you decide to get the the PSU, $10 more for 200W more is worth it, imo. 

:)

1 hour ago, Lazorsnipes said:

Probably overspending on that motherboard, and the case, could easily get an R7 1700 in there, otherwise just get an R5 1600

Vega 56 is finally down to $499 with the game bundle version, not too bad overall if you want the games.

You're going to want B-die to get the most out of Ryzen.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

9 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Wait for the i5-8600K. 

rip ryzen

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB