Buying a used laptop, what to look for

Hi guys

This week I'm going to check a used laptop that I'm gonna be buying for my brother.

What do you guys recommend me to do with it, like, programs to use (stress tests?) ? Other than the usual physical check, obviously.

So far, the things I can think of are:

• Check if every single key on the keyboard works
  • Check if there are any weird noises coming from the HDD and fan
  • Dead or stuck pixels

Should I take a USB stick with me with some programs like CrystalDiskInfo and AIDA64, is it just not worth the hassle?

Thanks in advance :D

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

I would first of check if i could still get new battery from manufacturer. Then ofc if everything works maybe you can get some better price if for example one usb port does not work or the integrated camera and or microphone.  Test all I/O. Check if OS is included (license key)

do some stuff on it, and load core temp on a usb stick. if it gets crazy hot just doing stuff, it's probably full of dust.

that would mean that it was never cleaned out, and depending on the age of the machine, got really hot for a long time, which would make it more likely to break.

check if Windows is activated, if all the i/o (especially headphone jack) works. check for scratched on the display, and dents in the chassis if it's mate of aluminum. that would give you a good indication of how it was handled.

running a disk benchmark is also a good idea.

what model will you be buying?

She/Her

14 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

I would first of check if i could still get new battery from manufacturer. Then ofc if everything works maybe you can get some better price if for example one usb port does not work or the integrated camera and or microphone.  Test all I/O. Check if OS is included (license key)

Forgot to add the I/O to the list...

Batteries, I can buy new ones.

Integrated camera and mic aren't really that important, but I'll check those.

OS check is a must as well. Thanks xD

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

do some stuff on it, and load core temp on a usb stick. if it gets crazy hot just doing stuff, it's probably full of dust.

that would mean that it was never cleaned out, and depending on the age of the machine, got really hot for a long time, which would make it more likely to break.

check if Windows is activated, if all the i/o (especially headphone jack) works. check for scratched on the display, and dents in the chassis if it's mate of aluminum. that would give you a good indication of how it was handled.

running a disk benchmark is also a good idea.

what model will you be buying?

If it does get really hot (I can clean it, no problem), I have something to get the price down, even tho it already is pretty darn low. 350€

Will do. It is made of aluminum, and, if the photos are recent, I don't think it has any. Anyway, when I get to inspect it, I'll check that out.

It's a Toshiba P50-B-10V. Quad core i7 4710hq, 1080p display, 1TB HDD + 128GB SSD, 8GB of RAM and an R9 M265X. For 350€ it's a steal, considering you can only get something this decent if you're going to spend 1000€+ on a new laptop.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

52 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

It's a Toshiba P50-B-10V. Quad core i7 4710hq, 1080p display, 1TB HDD + 128GB SSD, 8GB of RAM and an R9 M265X. For 350€ it's a steal, considering you can only get something this decent if you're going to spend 1000€+ on a new laptop.

Considering it has an SSD, definitely look at the total reads and writes of it when checking it out. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Replace the thermal paste, run Memtest, and download Crystal Disk Info. Also, run some stress tests on a clean install of Windows to see if it's stable.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈