Asus gtx 1060 TURBO or STRIX?

Edward768

So i have had 2 asus turbo 1080's for a year, i want to buy a 1060 for school project i need to use it for mining, as i dont want them to look very different, i could get asus 1060 turbo so they all look the same, but i could get for not much more(around 15-40 eur) different 1060 with a bit higher clocks, (i would overclock the turbo 1060 anyway), but i dont really want it to look very different from my other ones, case: be quiet! 900 pro. I could get the asus strix 1060 for 30 more eur but again they will look totally different...

Just now, WereCat said:

get the cheaper one

I looked at some photos and it could look kinda still good with the strix one, as it is the same color

You shouldnt buy the turbo cards in the first place with a case like this with proper airflow.

Blower coolers dont cool quietly and effectively like open coolers do. Since you already have 2 cards with blower coolers and dont seem to be upset by them, just get the turbo 1060 because it's cheaper.

Are the two 1080s in SLI? What mobo is that?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Just now, Jurrunio said:

You shouldnt buy the turbo cards in the first place with a case like this with proper airflow.

Blower coolers dont cool quietly and effectively like open coolers do. Since you already have 2 cards with blower coolers and dont seem to be upset by them, just get the turbo 1060 because it's cheaper.

Are the two 1080s in SLI? What mobo is that?

So right now i got a pretty cramped case with the 1080s in sli so it was working well, i am going to buy the case with the video card, and i have x99-a asus, it supports 3 video cards.

I'm not a mining expert but aren't amd cards generally better?

Just now, 30op said:

I'm not a mining expert but aren't amd cards generally better?

Yes, but i got g-sync monitors, and i kinda need it for my third monitor (long story)  and i already got two nvidia cards, i dont think i want to mess up my research with different companies, as i would have a mid end and high end cards to compare from one company.

5 minutes ago, Edward768 said:

Yes, but i got g-sync monitors, and i kinda need it for my third monitor (long story)  and i already got two nvidia cards, i dont think i want to mess up my research with different companies, as i would have a mid end and high end cards to compare from one company.

Kk have fun on your project

Just now, 30op said:

Kk have fun on your project

thnks :D

If you are using them for mining, buy whichever will run cooler. GPU frequency doesn't matter, you are going to turn that down in afterburner anyway. What you want is something with adequate VRM cooling. That is where you will have issues on most cards. For mining you should not be bothering with noise. Get the card with the best heat sink. You also should consider whether or not the card is also cooling the RAM. Because to get the best hash rate you are going to pull the gpu clock almost all the way down, over clock the RAM, and undervolt. So you need good stable power delivery and good cooling. 

3 minutes ago, thorsong said:

If you are using them for mining, buy whichever will run cooler. GPU frequency doesn't matter, you are going to turn that down in afterburner anyway. What you want is something with adequate VRM cooling. That is where you will have issues on most cards. For mining you should not be bothering with noise. Get the card with the best heat sink. You also should consider whether or not the card is also cooling the RAM. Because to get the best hash rate you are going to pull the gpu clock almost all the way down, over clock the RAM, and undervolt. So you need good stable power delivery and good cooling. 

Any ideas where to check whether it does cool ram? It shows the heatsink where i believe it is cooling ram?

https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING/

19 minutes ago, Edward768 said:

this really dosne't make sense.If you mining then why did you even pair it with a G-Sync monitor.And 1 Rx 580 is comparable to a 1080.if you reallly like Nvidia get a used 980ti

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

this really dosne't make sense.If you mining then why did you even pair it with a G-Sync monitor.And 1 Rx 580 is comparable to a 1080.if you reallly like Nvidia get a used 980ti

I plan on mining for my scientific project only, after it will be used to drive one of my 4k monitor, i looked for used cards but in my country there arent any. Even for amd cards, my psu is 1000 watts that should be taken in mind as well... 

8 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Although there is a one week used asus TURBO 1070 for 385 eur, could possibly get it for 360... How about it?

37 minutes ago, Edward768 said:

I looked at some photos and it could look kinda still good with the strix one, as it is the same color

I take back what I said, sorry.

I haven't looked and I assumed the Turbo one is the ASUS Dual.

9 minutes ago, Edward768 said:

Any ideas where to check whether it does cool ram? It shows the heatsink where i believe it is cooling ram?

https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING/

Steve from Gamers Nexus might have a teardown of that card. I will tell you, I have lost a couple of RX470 Strix cards. I know one was due to the VRM overheating. However, the 1060 uses less power, so you may be okay anyway. The 1060 when set up in afterburner properly will hit around the same hash rate as a 470, but they use less power. I do not own a Strix 1060. I have several EVGA 1060's and a few MSI Gaming 1060's. The full size EVGA cards and the MSI Gaming cards cool the RAM. I have had no VRM issues (knock on wood) with either of those makes.

4 minutes ago, Edward768 said:

Although there is a one week used asus TURBO 1070 for 385 eur, could possibly get it for 360... How about it?

get that that is the best option

My life

6 minutes ago, Edward768 said:

after it will be used to drive one of my 4k monitor,

I mean like it's not like you can game or do stuff with it because that's not how SLI works.SO when you game you'll only have 2 monitors working I think

My life

I mean like it's not like you can game or do stuff with it because that's not how SLI works.SO when you game you'll only have 2 monitors working I think

Yes i know, thats where third card comes in to save the day

Cant the 1080 be in sli while this one is by itself?

Just now, Edward768 said:

Yes i know, thats where third card comes in to save the day

When your gaming the 3rd card won't be used.therefore you'll only have 2 monitors on when the game boots

My life

2 minutes ago, thorsong said:

Steve from Gamers Nexus might have a teardown of that card. I will tell you, I have lost a couple of RX470 Strix cards. I know one was due to the VRM overheating. However, the 1060 uses less power, so you may be okay anyway. The 1060 when set up in afterburner properly will hit around the same hash rate as a 470, but they use less power. I do not own a Strix 1060. I have several EVGA 1060's and a few MSI Gaming 1060's. The full size EVGA cards and the MSI Gaming cards cool the RAM. I have had no VRM issues (knock on wood) with either of those makes.

Do you happen to know whether the turbo one(1070) cools vrm

Cant the 1080 be in sli while this one is by itself?

the game will not run on all 3 monitors.You have to plug the last display into the 1080ti I think

I'm not sure though as I don't usually mess around with SLI

My life

When your gaming the 3rd card won't be used.therefore you'll only have 2 monitors on when the game boots

I will be playing on one monitor not all 3, right now my third monitor is in the second video card, when i go into sli, it turns off, i need the video card to power my third monitor when the first two are in sli...

I will be playing on one monitor not all 3, right now my third monitor is in the second video card, when i go into sli, it turns off, i need the video card to power my third monitor when the first two are in sli...

You should be fine then

My life