Need some help with XMP on ryzen

I'm trying to get my Corsair Vengeance® LPX (3000MHz 15-17-17-35) at the advertised speed on my ryzen 1600, but whenever i exit the bios the computer turns on and off like 5 times and then gets into windows only in 2133mhz...
I checked with cpu-z and it always stays on 1064.5 mhz (i have a dual kit).
Anyone knows what's the problem or what do i need to do more than setting the xmp to profile 1?

is the ram model number specifically verified in the QVL for your mobo? Also what mobo are you running? 

14 minutes ago, ariel621 said:

I'm trying to get my Corsair Vengeance® LPX (3000MHz 15-17-17-35) at the advertised speed on my ryzen 1600, but whenever i exit the bios the computer turns on and off like 5 times and then gets into windows only in 2133mhz...

That happens when the motherboard fails to train the memory.

You really need to mess with the subtimings to get it work, usually they are too much loose on Ryzen to be stable.

26 minutes ago, ariel621 said:

I checked with cpu-z and it always stays on 1064.5 mhz (i have a dual kit).
Anyone knows what's the problem or what do i need to do more than setting the xmp to profile 1?

Update your bios to the latest version if you haven't already. Those power cycles are the board's attempt to 'learn' working sub-timings for your new ram timings/settings. It cycles power to try a new set of numbers. If it reaches a certain number of power cycles without finding working sub-timings, it'll wipe your changes and return to default 2133, often taking any CPU overclocks to default clocks as well. A bios update will help as they improve memory compatibility. Double check the settings XMP is choosing, perhaps change the CAS Latency to 16 instead of 15. Dram voltage 1.35v. If it won't boot at 2933, try selecting 2666. Find something that works and improve from there.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

First off I would change in your BIOS how many times it needs to crash at testing ram.

Default value is 5, but I set mine to 2. So it won't take for ever with those crashes.

What motherboard are you using exactly? Do you have SKU number from RAMs?

When it comes to RAM speed and ryzen, there are many problems. One of them being bad IMC in the CPU itself. So it is possible that your CPU just can't handle 3000MHz ram.

Try to use dram voltage to 1,36 or even 1,4V is still fine.

Try 2933MHz ... that works for me.

Increase timings from 15 to 16 and see if that works.

And I bet there are problems with Ryzen and XMP ... XMP is Intel® Extreme Memory Profile. Surely Intel won't work on Ryzen xD

AMD is using A-XMP. Pretty much the same thing, but just wanted to point out this.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Update the BIOS, I had this exact same problem. After that, xmp should work just fine.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

45 minutes ago, Trulop said:

is the ram model number specifically verified in the QVL for your mobo? Also what mobo are you running? 

i couldn't find my ram on my motherboard QVL (GA-A320M-DS2). Is that a rip for me?

1 minute ago, ariel621 said:

i couldn't find my ram on my motherboard QVL (GA-A320M-DS2). Is that a rip for me?

Qvl lists are usually incomplete, so don't lose hope yet.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Just now, ariel621 said:

Not entirely. that doesnt necesarrily mean that it "wont work" with your board, it just might not work at the speeds or timings or voltage its set at. If you know how to manually overclock, try getting even 2933, or basically as high as you can by messing around with some timings and voltage control (safely). If you dont know how to overclock then definately ask someone who has some good experience on where to start, and if you dont want to deal with the manual OC, then if you can i suggest a return and get QVL listed ram

9 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

First off I would change in your BIOS how many times it needs to crash at testing ram.

Default value is 5, but I set mine to 2. So it won't take for ever with those crashes.

What motherboard are you using exactly? Do you have SKU number from RAMs?

When it comes to RAM speed and ryzen, there are many problems. One of them being bad IMC in the CPU itself. So it is possible that your CPU just can't handle 3000MHz ram.

Try to use dram voltage to 1,36 or even 1,4V is still fine.

Try 2933MHz ... that works for me.

Increase timings from 15 to 16 and see if that works.

And I bet there are problems with Ryzen and XMP ... XMP is Intel® Extreme Memory Profile. Surely Intel won't work on Ryzen xD

AMD is using A-XMP. Pretty much the same thing, but just wanted to point out this.

my MOBO is GA-A320M-DS2. and what do i need my SKU number for?

8 minutes ago, ariel621 said:

owh ouchie.. you cant overclock cpu with that board being an a320, should have gotten a b350 for roughly same price =( 

Also a quick look through the QVL and it seems it downclocks alot of ram modules to 2133, and have 2666 essentially being the highest with only some ram types.

30 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

That's actually not good information. Those 'crashes' are a feature while the system attempts to learn/train proper timings. Lowering that number just forces the system to fail quicker. I've actually raised my number of fail attempts to give my system a better chance at finding timings that successfully boot. Once it learns an overclock, it won't cycle power until additional changes are made.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

37 minutes ago, ariel621 said:

Usually RAM modules have SKU number ... like part number or something like this: CMK64GX4M8B3200C16 ... That's SKU.

Motherboard that you have, support 2666MHz RAM. It does say in description that 3200MHz is possible with OC, but when you look at QVL, there wasn't a single RAM tested at over 2666MHz.

So I would try to get 2933MHz first, then go down to 2666MHz ... and if non of them works, try to at least get 2400MHz.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

On 10/2/2017 at 2:13 PM, Trulop said:

owh ouchie.. you cant overclock cpu with that board being an a320, should have gotten a b350 for roughly same price =( 

Also a quick look through the QVL and it seems it downclocks alot of ram modules to 2133, and have 2666 essentially being the highest with only some ram types.

i wasn't going to overclock the CPU, only the ram.

i also updated my bios 2 versions and it still didn't work :(
BTW does every mobo have the option to overclock the ram to a specific MHz? (but only in the jumps of 2400-2666-2800-2933 etc.) cause all i see is the option to switch to profile 1 and it would set MHz to 2933 instantly..