Father/Son Video Editing/Gaming Computer $2500

The Asus Rampage IV Black Edition is a waste of money. 

Unless you're paying just to have the premium or the best to show off, it's not worth it if what you're concerned about is just functionality.

Why the Arc XL instead of the Arc Midi R2?

The Psu is overkill even for a 780 sli. A decent 750w would be plenty for that.

...Is the bluray drive really necessary?

I believe you recommended the Asus P9X79 LE which would save around $270 over the Black Edition.  The Asus Rampage IV Black Edition is not compatible with the Arc Midi R2 so I needed to move to the ArcXL

My reasoning for the Black Edition was based mainly on wants instead of just functionality.   I thought the overclocking on the fly was pretty cool option to have and it will be a great teaching tool for my son and me. It has more gaming features which we may or may not need but they are there.   The SupremeFX audio - negates the need for a soundcard.  Overall the build and components seem better.  When I started to put in in perspective with the other toys I have/want $270 didn't seem like a big deal.  

Thanks for the heads up on the PSU I'll take a look for a 750W.

Yes bluray drive is necessary.  Mainly for M Disk

I believe you recommended the Asus P9X79 LE which would save around $270 over the Black Edition.  The Asus Rampage IV Black Edition is not compatible with the Arc Midi R2 so I needed to move to the ArcXL

My reasoning for the Black Edition was based mainly on wants instead of just functionality.   I thought the overclocking on the fly was pretty cool option to have and it will be a great teaching tool for my son and me. It has more gaming features which we may or may not need but they are there.   The SupremeFX audio - negates the need for a soundcard.  Overall the build and components seem better.  When I started to put in in perspective with the other toys I have/want $270 didn't seem like a big deal.  

Thanks for the heads up on the PSU I'll take a look for a 750W.

Yes bluray drive is necessary.

I don't see how overclocking on the fly would teach your more than just manually doing it yourself. 

x79 mobos have decent audio in general and SupremeFX audio shouldn't make that much of a difference anyway. What kind of audio hardware are you running?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The Asus Rampage IV Black Edition is a waste of money. 

Unless you're paying just to have the premium or the best to show off, it's not worth it if what you're concerned about is just functionality.

Why the Arc XL instead of the Arc Midi R2?

The Psu is overkill even for a 780 sli. A decent 750w would be plenty for that.

...Is the bluray drive really necessary?

When I check the Newegg Wattage Consumption, for the build I outlined, I'm around 586W a 780W would work.  In the future I will add 2 or 3 additional hard drives and maybe another 780GPU into the setup which would bring the wattage up to around 856W .  Thats why I placed the 860W in the current build. Thoughts?

When I check the Newegg Wattage Consumption, for the build I outlined, I'm around 586W a 780W would work.  In the future I will add 2 or 3 additional hard drives and maybe another 780GPU into the setup which would bring the wattage up to around 856W .  Thats why I placed the 860W in the current build. Thoughts?

Psu calculators for the most part are quite inaccurate. A good 750w would be plenty for everything you need. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.