Xeon X5670 vs Xeon X5690 idle power consumption.

Looking to get a bit more power out of a box, but idk if the modest bump in clock speed (around 500MHz) is worth the possible temperature increase and power usage, not that the machine is every under 100% usage, is there much of an increase in idle power usage, I mean I can buy them and test it, but that's a little more commitment in case power usage goes through the roof. I considered Ivy Bridge also, but that upupgrade would basically be a total upgrade. 

Yours faithfully

tbh, the amount of drives and fans spinning in your system will have a bigger impact on idle power consumption than the cpu...

idle power consumption is usually only a tiny tiny difference ( 3-10watt at most )  unless ur overvolting and u disable stuff like quietncool/intel speedstep ect, then it can be like 30-40watt difference easily at idle

(◑‿◐)

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

tbh, the amount of drives and fans spinning in your system will have a bigger impact on idle power consumption than the cpu...

Maybe, although during times of load the higher fan speed wouldn't help the numbers. 

3 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

idle power consumption is usually only a tiny tiny difference ( 3-10watt at most )  unless ur overvolting and u disable stuff like quietncool/intel speedstep ect, then it can be like 30-40watt difference easily at idle

I don't think these CPUs have super power saving features, sure they were advanced for 2010, but that's still 7 years ago. "Idle" power usage on the server is 157 watts currently. 

Yours faithfully

4 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Maybe, although during times of load the higher fan speed wouldn't help the numbers. 

I don't think these CPUs have super power saving features, sure they were advanced for 2010, but that's still 7 years ago. "Idle" power usage on the server is 157 watts currently. 

x5670/90 supports

Idle States (C-states) are used to save power when the processor is idle. C0 is the operational state, meaning that the CPU is doing useful work. C1 is the first idle state, C2 the second, and so on, where more power saving actions are taken for numerically higher C-states.

(◑‿◐)

Just now, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

x5690 supports

Idle States (C-states) are used to save power when the processor is idle. C0 is the operational state, meaning that the CPU is doing useful work. C1 is the first idle state, C2 the second, and so on, where more power saving actions are taken for numerically higher C-states.

That's literally from Ark, obviously it supports it, but not to the same degree as something like Haswel or newer. The X5670's also support the same things, but "idle" power usage still isn't great. Really I just want the better single threaded speed, which is why I considered a new platform. 

Yours faithfully

3 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

That's literally from Ark, obviously it supports it, but not to the same degree as something like Haswel or newer. The X5670's also support the same things, but "idle" power usage still isn't great. Really I just want the better single threaded speed, which is why I considered a new platform. 

if u want better singlethread speed just go with haswell or somthing ( considering u prolly only got ddr3 )

xeon is really built for multithreading :v yeah it works good if u get an older xeon chip for gaming... but still not optimal hehe

(◑‿◐)

5 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

if u want better singlethread speed just go with haswell or somthing ( considering u prolly only got ddr3 )

xeon is really built for multithreading :v yeah it works good if u get an older xeon chip for gaming... but still not optimal hehe

Oh no, this isn't for gaming at all, it's for a rack server, with 60GiB of RAM (although I'm thinking of upgrading to 96 along with the CPUs). There are two X5670's, that's why I'm a little concerned about idle power usage (idle as in a minecraft server and web server running on a VM, which is why I wanted the better single threaded CPU) as the X5690 seems to use %25 more power, but all I found was CPUboss which as we know isn't really that accurate. I have an i7 7700K for gaming. Sometimes there are more VMs active doing other work, hence the "mostly it's idle" but sometimes it's under 100% load for days at a time. An Ivy Bridge EP server would be about €1200 though

Screenshot (84).png

Yours faithfully

for a server i would deffo go with the lower watt chip because in the long run the extra watt is gonna hurt ur wallet in the end :P

(◑‿◐)

Just now, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

for a server i would deffo go with the lower watt chip because in the long run the extra watt is gonna hurt ur wallet in the end :P

Yes, it already hurts it (157 watts is a lot 24/7) but I feel it as the power bills for the house are €20 a week. 

Yours faithfully