Mini ITX Server Build

Hi all,

Just looking for some advise and to see what peoples thoughts are with the below build that i have put together.

What i am trying to accomplish with this server is to make a small form factor NAS/server that will be used for Plex media server, high capacity file storage and at minimum 3 VM's. Below is listed all the parts that i have picked out and yes the motherboard isn't really well suited but it was within my budget. 

Budget: £850 Around (UK)

Case: Fractal Design node 804

CPU: Xeon E3-1230V5

Motherboard: Gigabyte X150m-Pro ECC

RAM: Kingston KVR21R15D4  16gb

PSU: Corsair CXM430

Hard Drives: 4x 3TB WD Reds, 2x Toshiba 7200rpm drive and 1x250g ssd (Some of these drives i already own, i will only be bying another 2 wd reds)

If anyone has any pointers or advise please let me know.:)

This Xeon doesnt have onboard graphics, so you will need a graphics card as video output when you set it up.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Instead of xeon you could put a ryzen 1700 in there.

14 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

Instead of xeon you could put a ryzen 1700 in there.

I looked at this possibility but decided against it as AMD processors don't support EEC Memory.

2 minutes ago, dross_199 said:

I looked at this possibility but decided against it as AMD processors don't support EEC Memory.

Yes they do!

2 minutes ago, dross_199 said:

Where did you get that info?

4 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

Yes they do!

3 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

Where did you get that info?

Hmm upon a single google i seem to missed something when doing my research, it does have a lower TDP so would theoretically cost less to run 24/7, do you have any experiences using this cpu for 24/7 operation? also what mini atx board would you suggest ?

33 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

This Xeon doesnt have onboard graphics, so you will need a graphics card as video output when you set it up.

Yeah i have one or 2 old card that i can use to set this up with and probably just leave in ans a just in case.

6 minutes ago, dross_199 said:

Hmm upon a single google i seem to missed something when doing my research, it does have a lower TDP so would theoretically cost less to run 24/7, do you have any experiences using this cpu for 24/7 operation? also what mini atx board would you suggest ?

Sorry for being a bit rude, I am a bit tired. The problem with ryzen right now is taht there are no good itx boards. Asus should release some this month, I am waiting for one too. Right now I have asrock itx board, but people say that it has bad VRM's, so thats why im planning to change it. As for 24/7 operation, my longest operation was 24, hours, no crashes or problems.

1 hour ago, Almostbauws said:

Sorry for being a bit rude, I am a bit tired. The problem with ryzen right now is taht there are no good itx boards. Asus should release some this month, I am waiting for one too. Right now I have asrock itx board, but people say that it has bad VRM's, so thats why im planning to change it. As for 24/7 operation, my longest operation was 24, hours, no crashes or problems.

This is partly my issue if I go down that route, was thinking that possibly going down the inte line I would be fairly safe as it’s tried and tested if that makes sense. ?  don't know whether to wait or not but getting fairly desperate for storage. 

7 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

then wich mainboards support ECC?

which? which or witch? some asrock and asus boards partially due but I think we will likely have to wait for suppermicro to make a board that full does. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

The build looks great.

My only suggestion would be to consider cheaper spinning disks (perhaps even in the 7200rpm flavor).  You'll save some good cash going with something like a Toshiba P300 3TB and losing TLER isn't going to make a noticeable difference.  If anything, the low drive count will benefit from the faster spindle speed.  

Lastly, if you keep all the spinning disks identical then you would only need a single spare on hand.

Regardless, looks like a solid setup.

3 hours ago, Dark said:

The build looks great.

My only suggestion would be to consider cheaper spinning disks (perhaps even in the 7200rpm flavor).  You'll save some good cash going with something like a Toshiba P300 3TB and losing TLER isn't going to make a noticeable difference.  If anything, the low drive count will benefit from the faster spindle speed.  

Lastly, if you keep all the spinning disks identical then you would only need a single spare on hand.

Regardless, looks like a solid setup.

Thanks for the reply, i actually already have 2x Toshiba p300's in my current server, but wanted to keep all of the media on the reds as i also already have two of them as well. personally if i didn't already have 2x WD reds i would of went with all Toshiba p300's as they have been great for myself. 

On 10/1/2017 at 3:23 PM, dross_199 said:

The Ryzen Pro CPUs do I think but I'm pretty sure they aren't out yet.

I would recommend trying to pick up a few of the WD Easystore 8TB external drives from Best Buy and shucking them. They regularly go on sale for $159-$189 and contain WD red SATA drives with 256MB cache. 

+1 for going with a ryzen build, especially if you want to run VM´s you will want a high count of physical cores that you can assign to them.

beside this consider not going for an ITX form factor as the added cost are just not worth saving a tiny little bit of space, you will need a rather big case anyways to fit all these drives.