poor performance or am I asking too much?

Go to solution Solved by Samoth,

ok, just asked a friend about your problem and I miss something from the first post: your graphic card run at 78° witch is a lot for pascal GPU, and at that temperature the graphic card clearly thermal throttle it-self to prevent damage.

so what I suggest is using MSI after burner to control the graphic card fan (or using the Zotac software in your case, if it allow such control)

btw, the GPU-z show that everything is normal about your graphic card

So I came across this benchmark today from HWUB:

bccab3ae15b2b88b573cc5e8ff5e3db4.png

I'm wondering, my PC's performance is far from that.

I'm using an i7-6700 (non-k) on a B150 Motherboard with a Zotac GTX 1080 Amp! Edition and 16Gb of 2400Mhz DDR4 RAM.

On Overwatch's Ultra preset I get only 160FPS in training mode, so less while actual gameplay happens.

That is less than the 1070 in this test.

Why is that?

I've checked so far:

Power Mode in Windows and in Nvidia Control Panel

Drivers up to date

Temperature are both fine, GPU goes to 78°C, CPU 50°C.

I checked CPU and GPU usage, CPU is around 15-20% and GPU is at 100%.

So I'm not sure but I feel like my GTX1080 should push out more fps? Or am I asking to much...?

Probably temp, it doesn't matter the GPU they are using is probably auto clocked because it can increase because the temp is low enough to be safe, anyways you are probably having a setup issue or they are using an Open Air test bench in a A/Ced room or something. Which tests the parts at their "Best Possible" Performance

Please @Dormant God or quote me if you want me to see your message/reply

Custom PC Specs
Custom PC Build: (CPU) i7-6700k (MotherBoard) GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z170 SLI ATX (RAM) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR4/3000MHz (GPU) MSI GTX 1080 (Case) Crystal 570X RGB (Storage) 1 TB HDD from Seagate

Just now, Dormant God said:

Probably temp, it doesn't matter the GPU they are using is probably auto clocked because it can increase because the temp is low enough to be safe, anyways you are probably having a setup issue or they are using an Open Air test bench in a A/Ced room or something. Which tests the parts at their "Best Possible" Performance

Thought about that as well but almost 40% worse performance? 

Just now, staubgame said:

Sometimes the GPU will unclock, I have a 1080 and it does that at times, I built this PC pretty stupidly, I was going for looks didn't think about actual performance, anyways my GPU will sometimes turn down the Mem clock and the GPU Clock at times to cool it down, making it almost 50% worse, I get around 150 FPS on OW's Ultra Preset

Custom PC Specs
Custom PC Build: (CPU) i7-6700k (MotherBoard) GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z170 SLI ATX (RAM) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR4/3000MHz (GPU) MSI GTX 1080 (Case) Crystal 570X RGB (Storage) 1 TB HDD from Seagate

2 minutes ago, staubgame said:

No, temps will not account for that much of performance. Did you watch the whole video? Because it says "Ultra Quality" does not necessarily mean "Ultra Preset"

Also, what resolution do you play at?

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Just now, Moress said:

No, temps will not account for that much of performance. Did you watch the whole video? Because it says "Ultra Quality" does not necessarily mean "Ultra Preset"

2 minutes ago, staubgame said:

Didn't even think about that as well. Sorry, I'm having a brain fart trying to solve my Phone problems

Custom PC Specs

1 minute ago, Dormant God said:

Sometimes the GPU will unclock, I have a 1080 and it does that at times, I built this PC pretty stupidly, I was going for looks didn't think about actual performance, anyways my GPU will sometimes turn down the Mem clock and the GPU Clock at times to cool it down, making it almost 50% worse, I get around 150 FPS on OW's Ultra Preset

These numbers are really close together... 

1 minute ago, Moress said:

I did watch it but did not catch that. I tested it on 1080p as well.

3 minutes ago, staubgame said:

These numbers are really close together... 

I did watch it but did not catch that. I tested it on 1080p as well.

Curious, have you messed with the renderscale setting? Try setting it to 100% instead of automatic

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

9 minutes ago, Moress said:

Curious, have you messed with the renderscale setting? Try setting it to 100% instead of automatic

Had to go and check that, but no, it's at 100% not automatic.

When starting up the GPU ramps up to 1823Mhz as it should by it's boost clock so temp wise that should not be the limiting factor, though my system is build for quiet performance (thus only the i7-6700). 

@Dormant God said his performance is about the same so I am either not alone or that is really where it is at.

Seems to be a bummer, though. And I won't yet believe it :D 

Edit: I lowered the Settings to high preset but only got around 190fps. that's still 25% less. o.O 

Maybe something is using your graphic card in background ?

"You are doing the same thing over and over again and you hoping for different result ?"

1 minute ago, Samoth said:

Maybe something is using your graphic card in background ?

While under windows the gpu clocks sit idle at 215Mhz and 405 memory. So I guess not. Don't really know though.

I'm using 2 screens, 1 G-Sync Dell 1440p via DP cable (set to 1080p in this test! I know. :D) and a second, older 1080p Medion but deactivating the second screen changes nothing. (Win+P then selecting only main screen)

I was actually thinking about recording software (I find today that when OBS is in the background and doing nothing it use 17% of my GPU). but maybe your performance lost is due to G-sync ?

"You are doing the same thing over and over again and you hoping for different result ?"

I was actually thinking about recording software (I find today that when OBS is in the background and doing nothing it use 17% of my GPU). but maybe your performance lost is due to G-sync ?

Nah, (had to check though xD ).

G-Sync is a dedicated chip that merely limits the refresh of the monitor to match the fps output (if less than monitor refresh). So no impact at all.

And also no software like obs running while playing. Shadowplay, though not recording. Only idle.

What is the watt consumption of graphic card in load ?

I find something that could explain this issue: does overwatch support multiple direct X version ?

because I found a test in witch they precise the direct X version (DX11 for this test)

3 minutes ago, Samoth said:

I find something that could explain this issue: does overwatch support multiple direct X version ?

because I found a test in witch they precise the direct X version (DX11 for this test)

Doesn't seem like it. Someone asked on the forums for DX12 just yesterday.

Just now, staubgame said:

Again only a reddit but apparently it's always at DX11:

Also, there's no ingame setting anywhere or in the launcher

ok, can you run user bench mark on your computer (just to see if your graphic card as a problem or not)

6 minutes ago, Samoth said:

ok, can you run user bench mark on your computer (just to see if your graphic card has a problem or not)

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/5208462

Did the run, Seems like good numbers? 

UserBenchmarks: Game 102%, Desk 78%, Work 62%
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 - 76.8%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 - 123.6%
SSD: Samsung 840 120GB - 59.3%
SSD: OCZ Vector 256GB - 102%
SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB - 67.2%
HDD: WD Blue 2.5" 1TB (2004) - 55.6%
RAM: Crucial CT8G4DFD8213.M16FB 2x8GB - 68.2%
MBD: MSI B150M PRO-DDP (MS-7975)

I'm watching a video of someone having a similar problem, for him it was the Windows installation.

Mine is running for almost 2 years now without a problem from my SSD with  2 other SSD for games and a HDD for anything else (some games as well)

(Don't ask about the number of SSDs ^^) 

ok, so your number on the bench look normal,

but, your cpu and gpu are performing below average. can you send me a screen of gpu-z ? I know that I'm asking a lot from you but I'm trying to eliminate possibilities before concluding about what is the cause of your problem.

(by the way, on the number of SSD, I have the same amount as you and somehow I manage to fill the 6 sata port on my motherboard ^^)

ok, so your number on the bench look normal,

but, your cpu and gpu are performing below average. can you send me a screen of gpu-z ? I know that I'm asking a lot from you but I'm trying to eliminate possibilities before concluding about what is the cause of your problem.

(by the way, on the number of SSD, I have the same amount as you and somehow I manage to fill the 6 sata port on my motherboard ^^)

Haha, they just keep piling up :D

And don't worry, if anything improves it's way worth it for me :)

6d144accad59eb8999874dc2e839ae88.png

ok, just asked a friend about your problem and I miss something from the first post: your graphic card run at 78° witch is a lot for pascal GPU, and at that temperature the graphic card clearly thermal throttle it-self to prevent damage.

so what I suggest is using MSI after burner to control the graphic card fan (or using the Zotac software in your case, if it allow such control)

btw, the GPU-z show that everything is normal about your graphic card