poor performance or am I asking too much?

Go to solution Solved by Samoth,

ok, just asked a friend about your problem and I miss something from the first post: your graphic card run at 78° witch is a lot for pascal GPU, and at that temperature the graphic card clearly thermal throttle it-self to prevent damage.

so what I suggest is using MSI after burner to control the graphic card fan (or using the Zotac software in your case, if it allow such control)

btw, the GPU-z show that everything is normal about your graphic card

10 minutes ago, Samoth said:

ok, just asked a friend about your problem and I miss something from the first post: your graphic card run at 78° witch is a lot for pascal GPU, and at that temperature the graphic card clearly thermal throttle it-self to prevent damage.

so what I suggest is using MSI after burner to control the graphic card fan (or using the Zotac software in your case, if it allow such control)

btw, the GPU-z show that everything is normal about your graphic card

So, something happend :D

I installed and started Firestorm (Zotacs Version of MSI Afterburner) and watched the numbers, the temps slowly climb up to 79-80 and the fan speeds up as much as needed to keep it at that temp as well as maintaining a high boost 1800MHZ-sih, started with almost 2000Mhz when starting up overwatch.

1800ish is the advertised boost clock of the card.

From what I gathered on different sites, 80°C is normal for pascal GPUs, it will however throttle to keep that temperature.

I checked since I built my system for being dead silent when not gaming, which it pretty much is with still decent airflow. So there's some money actually well spent.

(Be Quiet Silent Wings at low RPM)

HOWEVER! (back on topic)

I sat at around 250 fps.

I did not change a thing. Nothing. Same setting, ultra preset at 1080p.

However, earlier, I when switching back from high to ultra ( i tested high to see what fps i get) and restarting the game, it was set to 4k with 150% upscaling.

This change, it did on it's own. I re-selected 1080p with ultra and set the scaling to 100%.

Now maybe there's the kicker here? Even though it was showing the correct settings (1080p with 100% scaling) maybe it was running at something completly different?

well, if you run a game at 4K your graphic card will need to calculate 4 times the number of pixel on 2K. there is a 4x factor between 1080P, 2K and 4K resolution.

so that can explain why you had such low performance.

"You are doing the same thing over and over again and you hoping for different result ?"

Just now, Samoth said:

well, if you run a game at 4K your graphic card will need to calculate 4 times the number of pixel on 2K. there is a 4x factor between 1080P, 2K and 4K resolution.

True indeed, however I set it to 1080 and checked the scaling was at 100%. After setting it to ultra again after I had previously set it to low, the settings went bonkers.

So I guess even though it showed a scaling of 100% (it definetly was 1080p since my second screen responds to that by changing it's scale) it was at a higher scaling. 150% or something.

Honestly, I'm at a loss here but whatever changed, it fixed something... :o

So, whatever we did (you made me do) changed something at some part ^^

9 minutes ago, Samoth said:

Also, since I forgot to say it, thanks a lot for your help and patience :D