Windows defender bugged?

i noticed that my cpu would not down clock and would run at max turbo even at idle. A quick look in windows 10 task manager revealed that i had a constant write on my C: drive (SSD) of about 25 MB/s. Even at idle with no applications open for hours on end. turns out windows defender was constantly writing to c:/windows/logs and running about 15% CPU usage. after disabling windows defender anti-malware via gpedit.msc, my cpu now down clocks, while idle, my ssd sees much less activity and my cinebench score moved from 630 to 733.

Is this a fluke on my PC or is it something that may be affecting others without them noticing. over the pass month ive had over 2 terabytes of data written to my ssd.

My setup: i7-2600 @4.07ghz, 16gb, gtx 970, corsair neutron xt (SSD)

probably a fluke TBH

windows has so many variables that everybody on earth could probably reproduce a unique issue that nobody has ever had before. </hyperbole>

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

my friend disabled his windows defender and his cinebench score moved from 640-ish to 760, but as with most people with an ssd the high disk usage(writes) wont be very noticeable

7 minutes ago, BULLETBEEF | JA said:

my friend disabled his windows defender and his cinebench score moved from 640-ish to 760, but as with most people with an ssd the high disk usage(writes) wont be very noticeable

Not to go off topic but you are supposed to disable that before running Cine-bench anyhow, anything running in the background will interfere with the test results. FYI

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Your supposed to disable that before running Cine-bench anyhow, anything running in the background will interfere with the test results. FYI

true, but most people = fresh copy of windows then start bench marking with defender running in the background still. and it wasn't always like this defender used to be quieter than most other AV software