[Request] How to build a PC - In General [@Linus]

mymull

Hey Linus & the forum,

As I started to build my own computer I was very confused and did not really know where to start.

The most problem I had was the fact that there are a lot of videos which show how to Build a PC, but most of them are bundled with a specific hardware (which can be old by the time I watched that video)

I think it would be great to have a “How to build a PC - In General” Guide, mostly not for your Subscribers and e.g. the Forum-Members - because they should have already known that kind of stuff - but for people like me (two years before) which have no idea where to start.

You could start to list the Mayor-Components which every user definitely have to buy for a computer. Then you could specifically report the main characteristics of that component. E.g. you could explain in general “A Motherboard” and show on 2 to 3 Boards that every Motherboard has a CPU-Socket, PCI Express slots (but maybe more important) a 4/8 Pin Connector, a 24Pin Connector, The little Connectors for the HDD LED, Power-Switch and so on. After you did that you could sum up that very briefly and indicate e.g. that “Be careful to select a Motherboard that has the same Socket Than your CPU” or “And watch out that the Power supply has enough watt for your computer.. you could be sure by checking out the TDP which gives you always an experience how much the component needs” or something like that and of cause much more things YOU used to be asked all the time and you could once and for all ANSWER TO EVERYONE

At the end you could build a PC or relink to one of your own buildguides AND the most important thing: You could “give” the users a let’s say a few page PDF which List the Things they need to know when they buy a computer. Just do it like a Teacher would give there students everything they need to know for their test ;)

So what is that good for?

Its mostly good for you:  When you get very general Questions about how to build a PC, you could refer to that. You could give the user a great first start how to get into computer building. You also could get a lot of attention of users who don’t know your channel but search for “PC Building general” or something like that.

You could always add things to the Video you realize people have the most problems to understand.

You could do a 5 Minute Version (techquicky), a 15 Minute Version or a 45 (or more) Minute version so that every type of “attention” is represented.

In all you could give every really “nooby” a great first experience in how to build there own computer with their own choosen components and all with a great stamp of “LinusTechTips”.

And by the way: Only because it is good for noobs does not need to mean that its useless for an “good informed person” … I mean… to sum up the important things is never a bad idea!

What are your thoughts on that? I am pretty sure could come up with 1000 things you definitely want to say once. e.g. “The same Decibal does not mean the same noise!!!” or “In General more Videoram is good for huge textures but more important for huge resolutions like 2560x1440 or 4k” or “Every motherboard today nearly overclocks the same” or whatever  ^^

What is the forum-opinion?

I just want to point out: Nearly no one of you will learn a lot with this videos, but total newbies could have a good start. Your thoughts?

[@Linus] And by the way: I just finished building my first Water cooled pc and I mostly used Aquacomputer tools which is a german Watercooling company. Is it possible to get something like this is America or Canada? Because it seems for me like the “Noctua” for Watercooling.. Eg. you could “melt” directly a reservoir with a pump and have no trouble with getting the hose over the pump (although this pump itself has 1/4 inch fittings). Or the Pump itself has the possibility to check the Watertemps and to control the Fans you plug into the pump. So you could program a fan curve and save it directly in the flash/bios of the pump. Or you could set the pump to “venting” (don’t know if that is the correct word) and it automatically changes the speed of the pump motor so that most bubbles get out. Or you could check the filling of the reservoir. or it let you show lots of statistic how your system behaves, how the temps are, the fanspeeds are and and and. But the most important thing for me: it’s soooooo quiet!!!! the noctua fans are now the loudest component in my system but of cause the most time they are off… Have you Ever tried it? Could you reach out to them and ask them if they could send you some parts? I mean.. I am really a silent-freak and but this quality really satisfies me.. like noctua ^^

I just wanted to only ONCE try to give YOU a good advice because you told me so much good stuff!!! I really enjoy watching (and liking ;) ) every video of linustechtips and I think that you are really “THE TECH MAN” for me ^^ of cause the rest of your team is also great!

[@Slick]

"Slick, du bist auch super!! Ich mag am meisten an dir, dass du nicht so extrem wie linus bist und eine viel liebere Persönlichkeit hast. Und ich finde es toll, dass du Deutsch in der Schule gelernt hast! Es macht dich zu einem besseren Menschen :D :D :D Nur spaß!!!" - :D since I knew trough the live-show that he had once german in class :D but if you couldn't understand a word: google is your friend :D And yeah: Its just fun ;)

Anyway: Thanks!

Linus has made a few videos on this I believe, and you can always head over to http://www.pcpartpicker.com to put together a list. Then come back here and post the BBCode Markup and let us try to help you tweak it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

You left a space between @ and Linus. Also, his name on the forum is LinusTech. 

I did something like this a while ago for my effective speaking class about why you should look into building your own system. :P

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you are a beginner,you should be looking into careyholzman videos.

hey

i am not a beginner.. at least not more and this is not for me! It's for people who have no experience. And when you just said: ok go to this and that site … could we also argue that we don’t need linustechtips.. I mean it is anandtech with personality … doesn’t linustech himself said that!?

So I just try to give LinusTech a point where he can possible create more subscribers or at least views…^^ but it is only a suggestion!

And i've seen a lot of Videos of LinusTech-Builiding something.. weather on ncix or linustech and it's always bundled with a specific hardware and a theme.. like: Small-Form-Factor or ÜBER-PC or something

nevermind ^^