Ryzen 1700X or wait for 8700K

weed

Ryzen 1700x or 8th gen i7  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Ryzen 1700x or 8th gen i7

• Ryzen 1700x
    • 8th gen i7

Hello homo sapiens,

I have a friend who currently has an I5 6500 and an MSI B150 Gaming M3, he tells me he wants to try Ryzen, he has a budget of 900$, i told him just go with a Ryzen 1700x and get an Asus prime motherboard or go with a 1900x Threadripper, he said he does not want the threadripper cause its not made for gaming which he does 100% of the time, then an idea popped into my head even though he wants to try Ryzen he could wait and get an 8th gen I7, so he told me to post on LTT what are peoples opinion, keep in mind he does want to try Ryzen so even if the 8th gen i7 is better he still wants try to it, ill leave it up to you homo sapiens.

Feel free to quote me if you want an answer

NAS hard drive list feel free to PM me questions or anything about Hard drive as i am in love with them 

I fly the Boeing 737-800 for Turkish Airlines

"Men, this stuff that some sources sling around about America wanting out of this war, not wanting to fight, is a crock of bullshit. Americans love to fight, traditionally" - George.S Patton

"There are four hundred neatly marked graves somewhere in Sicily. All because one man went to sleep on the job. But they are German graves, because we caught the bastard asleep before they did." - George.S Patton

"An Army is a team. It lives, sleeps, eats, and fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is pure horse shit. The bilious bastards who write that kind of stuff for the Saturday Evening Post don't know any more about real fighting under fire than they know about fucking!" - George.S Patton

"Sure, we all want to go home. We want to get this war over with. But you can't win a war lying down. The quickest way to get it over with is to get the bastards who started it. We want to get the hell over there and clean the goddamn thing up, and then get at those purple-pissing Japs. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we go home. The shortest way home is through Berlin and Tokyo. So keep moving. And when we get to Berlin, I am personally going to shoot that paper-hanging son-of-a-bitch Hitler." - George.S Patton

Specs

Home Rig:                                                                                                  :

CPU: Intel I7 3770 @ 3.4 Ghz

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo                                                                  

GPU: MSI Radeon Rx 550 Aero ITX 1gb (amazing gpu btw)   
RAM: 2x4 Mismatched Ram Sticks                                                          

Motherboard: Pegatron 2AD5                                                                  

HDD: 1TB WD BLUE                                                                               

Case: HP 7500 Series MT Case                                                            

PSUCooler Master 500W Elite                                                              

Workstation:

CPU: i7 5960x @4.3Ghz

CPU Cooler: Kraken X62                                                                                                                 

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti 1G

RAM: Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 2133Mhz

Mobo: Asus X99- Deluxe

HDD: WD Blue 4TB 5200RPM

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Case: Corsair 750D 

PSU: Corsair RM 750x

1700X and B350 mobo?

He might wait for 8600K + Z370

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

1700X and B350 mobo?

I mean I can buy another mobo, but really I should wait for the 8600k?

Just now, dave_k said:

1700X and B350 mobo?

Ok, my friend is actually watching the post if you want to direct any quesitons to him ( @HairyPotter ), i dont think the i7 is a good idea unless if there is any pricing  information.

NAS hard drive list feel free to PM me questions or anything about Hard drive as i am in love with them 

"Men, this stuff that some sources sling around about America wanting out of this war, not wanting to fight, is a crock of bullshit. Americans love to fight, traditionally" - George.S Patton

"There are four hundred neatly marked graves somewhere in Sicily. All because one man went to sleep on the job. But they are German graves, because we caught the bastard asleep before they did." - George.S Patton

"An Army is a team. It lives, sleeps, eats, and fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is pure horse shit. The bilious bastards who write that kind of stuff for the Saturday Evening Post don't know any more about real fighting under fire than they know about fucking!" - George.S Patton

"Sure, we all want to go home. We want to get this war over with. But you can't win a war lying down. The quickest way to get it over with is to get the bastards who started it. We want to get the hell over there and clean the goddamn thing up, and then get at those purple-pissing Japs. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we go home. The shortest way home is through Berlin and Tokyo. So keep moving. And when we get to Berlin, I am personally going to shoot that paper-hanging son-of-a-bitch Hitler." - George.S Patton

Specs

Home Rig:                                                                                                  :

Workstation:

I just did a video on this subject. The game hasn't changed. If your building a gaming centric rig then intel is still going to beat out Ryzen (unless you go to 2k or 4k). If he wants to do more then game, he can still get a R7 1700 for around $300 ( I wouldn't get the x variant, just means it will have higher boost potential under proper cooling but its really not worth the price tag. Just doing a manual overclock yields more performance overall.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

He doesn't really need to upgrade that far, if he update the BIOS on his motherboard and get an i7 7700 that already will feel stupidly high improvement in a gaming/general usage computer.

Hyper-threading weighs a lot, you also get higher frequencies and polished IPC over.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, weed said:

Ok, my friend is actually watching the post if you want to direct any quesitons to him ( @HairyPotter ), i dont think the i7 is a good idea unless if there is any pricing  information.

Wait for the reviews and comparisons.

Otherwise dont go for 1700X+B350 but 1700 + decent X370

Just now, dave_k said:

Excuse my retardation but i thought X370 is intel so why you saying get a 1700,

Specs

Workstation:

2 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Asrock fatality x370?

4 minutes ago, HairyPotter said:

Asrock fatality x370?

depends which one

K4 is nice (Sinopower version)

X is sorta garbage.

Killer SLI/ac is pretty nice (Sinopower version)

Just now, dave_k said:

depends which one

K4 is nice

X is sorta garbage.

K4

4 minutes ago, weed said:

Excuse my retardation but i thought X370 is intel so why you saying get a 1700,

X370 is enthusiast Ryzen chipset

Just now, dave_k said:

depends which one

K4 is nice

X is sorta garbage.

Or the fatality ab350 gaming k4

Just now, HairyPotter said:

K4

Yeah should be fine unless you go over 2933 on memory

Just now, HairyPotter said:

Or the fatality ab350 gaming k4

Some voltage issues there

Just now, dave_k said:

What if I get a 3000mhz ram stick?

7 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Some voltage issues there

8 minutes ago, dave_k said:

What happens if I get a ram stick over 3000mhz on the x370 k4 gamingGaming

3 minutes ago, HairyPotter said:

What happens if I get a ram stick over 3000mhz on the x370 k4 gamingGaming

Nothing.

There is an error in PCB construction that limits the memory overclocking.

Thats why i recommed you look for X370 Killer SLI/ac

22 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Nothing.

MSI Gaming AMD Ryzen X370 DDR4 VR Ready HDMI USB 3 SLI CFX ATX Motherboard (X370 GAMING PRO CARBON

is This what you menamean

If he games 100% of the time like you said, there is absoulutely no reason he should buy Ryzen.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

5 hours ago, TahoeDust said:

If he games 100% of the time like you said, there is absoulutely no reason he should buy Ryzen.

Other than the fact he said his friend WANTS to try Ryzen, right? 

15 minutes ago, DarkMatterX1 said:

Other than the fact he said his friend WANTS to try Ryzen, right? 

but that would defeat the purpose of this subforum, telling everyone to buy 8700k.

8700k @5.0GHz | Maximus X Hero | RAM 32GB @3200MHz CL14 | 1080 TI | SSD 250GB + 2x500GB Raid 0 | Monitor 1440p 165Hz ISP

3 minutes ago, A_Mediocre_Kangaroo_Farmer said:

but that would defeat the purpose of this subforum, telling everyone to buy 8700k.

Of course. "Wait for coffee lake" is the correct answer to everything. No matter the person's particular use case, they just need to "wait for coffee lake."

7 hours ago, dave_k said:

Nothing.

What error is that?