Did I damage my CPU?

Recently, my cpu fan went bad and didn't realize it was spinning at like 200RPM under load. CPU temps got high as 96 deg C if I remember correctly. It could've been anywhere between 20 mins to an hour under heavy load. How much damage is done to the CPU (i7-4790k not overclocked) or any other part in my PC? Thanks.

Probably not damaged if you had done a bad overclock then it might have been damaged. I would recommend聽upgrading the cooling tho.

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

No damage if all of the features were working as intended and it was throttling

That is good to hear. Are there any signs of actual damage though that I could see in the future?

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

No damage if all of the features were working as intended and it was throttling

Exactly, the PC will shut it self down if it reaches thermal limit to keep itself safe, or it will throttle to cool it self down. Most likely since it was for a short time there is no damage.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILEhttps://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

probably not enough to be noticable, there could have been some but if it got hot it should start to throttle

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is聽play no games atm &聽watch聽anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...聽 nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project!Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log!聽(Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life.聽

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut;聽and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " -聽MageTank聽31-10-2016

Just now, Phill7 said:

Probably not damaged if you had done a bad overclock then it might have been damaged. I would recommend聽upgrading the cooling tho.

Luckily, I did not overclock yet. I ordered a new fan and am currently using the stock fan on the Hyper 212 EVO.

2 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

Exactly, the PC will shut it self down if it reaches thermal limit to keep itself safe, or it will throttle to cool it self down. Most likely since it was for a short time there is no damage.

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

probably not enough to be noticable, there could have been some but if it got hot it should start to throttle

Whew, this put my mind at ease. I was worrying for a bit there.

So at worst case, I just shortened the life of the CPU?

1 hour ago, deltron3030 said:

Yes

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILEhttps://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

1 hour ago, deltron3030 said:

Nothing to worry about.

96 shouldn't have damaged your cpu, over 100 the PC will shutdown to avoid damage.

Maybe you shortened the cpu life for couple months lolll but heh , they are made to last 25 years. You probably will keep it for like 5 years so no worries at all.

Just make sure to set up fans curve correctly so it doesn't happen again.

CPU: Intel i7 6700K聽4.5聽ghz / CPU Cooler:Corsair H100i V2/ Board:聽Asus Z170-A / GPU:Asus Rog Strix聽GTX聽1070聽8GB聽/ RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX聽16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD:Samsung 850 Evo聽500 GB / PSU:聽Corsair RMx 850w/Case:Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor:聽Dell 27" TN 1ms聽1440p/144hz Gsync

1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

Nothing to worry about.

96 shouldn't have damaged your cpu, over 100 the PC will shutdown to avoid damage.

Maybe you shortened the cpu life for couple months lolll but heh , they are made to last 25 years. You probably will keep it for like 5 years so no worries at all.

Just make sure to set up fans curve correctly so it doesn't happen again.

Sounds good to me.

The fan just stopped working like it was supposed to. Started only rotating like 200RPM when 800RPM should've been the min. I have a more powerful fan on the way.

The fans I've been using so far (when it worked) kept the CPU about 69C at 100% load. Are those temps ok?

1 minute ago, deltron3030 said:

Sounds good to me.

The fan just stopped working like it was supposed to. Started only rotating like 200RPM when 800RPM should've been the min. I have a more powerful fan on the way.

The fans I've been using so far (when it worked) kept the CPU about 69C at 100% load. Are those temps ok?

Perfectly fine temps.

Mine reaches close to that also. Between 60-70 is the sweet spot, specially if you overclocking, 70-80 is "ok" but I dont like that spot much because it heats my room. over 80 is a no go for me but still " ok "

CPU: Intel i7 6700K聽4.5聽ghz / CPU Cooler:Corsair H100i V2/ Board:聽Asus Z170-A / GPU:Asus Rog Strix聽GTX聽1070聽8GB聽/ RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX聽16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD:Samsung 850 Evo聽500 GB / PSU:聽Corsair RMx 850w/Case:Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor:聽Dell 27" TN 1ms聽1440p/144hz Gsync

6 minutes ago, deltron3030 said:

Sounds good to me.

Also,

You can use REAL TEMP

To monitor temps all the time. See pictures. I keep this in my icon to see actual temp, and i always take a look at the max temp reached. For example this is my max temps after the pc stayed "on" for over a week. Played many games for long time etc..

Capture.JPG.ebc7141978eab4f6810cd09c22c10505.JPG

Perfectly fine temps.

Mine reaches close to that also. Between 60-70 is the sweet spot, specially if you overclocking, 70-80 is "ok" but I dont like that spot much because it heats my room. over 80 is a no go for me but still " ok "

Great. I'm not overclocking yet. Just stock and air cooling for the moment.

Thank you everyone for the help. Insanely fast too. I should be sleeping fine tonight.

2 minutes ago, deltron3030 said:

Great. I'm not overclocking yet. Just stock and air cooling for the moment.

Thank you everyone for the help. Insanely fast too. I should be sleeping fine tonight.

Keep it like that if thats your temp stock, u need better cooling to OC.聽

2 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

Also,

You can use REAL TEMP

To monitor temps all the time. See pictures. I keep this in my icon to see actual temp, and i always take a look at the max temp reached. For example this is my max temps after the pc stayed "on" for over a week. Played many games for long time etc..

Capture.JPG.ebc7141978eab4f6810cd09c22c10505.JPG

Thanks I'll look for that later. I've been using CPUID HWMonitor to see fan speeds, cpu/hdd temps, but doesn't show temp icon.

Keep it like that if thats your temp stock, u need better cooling to OC.聽

What would be a better cooler? I am using Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO w/ stock fan for now. Are you suggesting something like liquid cooled?

1 minute ago, deltron3030 said:

Thanks I'll look for that later. I've been using CPUID HWMonitor to see fan speeds, cpu/hdd temps, but doesn't show temp icon.

I created a scheduled task to run realtemp gt .exe on log on, and I have put the icon steady on my icon bar.

I always see the temp now and take a look at max temps sometimes here and there just to make sure

Just now, deltron3030 said:

What would be a better cooler? I am using Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO w/ stock fan for now. Are you suggesting something like liquid cooled?

I'd suggest to create a new post with subject need cooler suggestions for 4790k overclocking

I have a h100i and, got it for cheap $ so it's good, but not great for cooling solution. It really depends your budget etc..

Also keep in mind this is kind of a waste of money to buy coolers just to get couple more mhz..

It's more for fun, and also nice for extra performance, but it's never worth the extra performance for $$$ invested in the cooler :P

I'd suggest to create a new post with subject need cooler suggestions for 4790k overclocking

I have a h100i and, got it for cheap $ so it's good, but not great for cooling solution. It really depends your budget etc..

Also keep in mind this is kind of a waste of money to buy coolers just to get couple more mhz..

It's more for fun, and also nice for extra performance, but it's never worth the extra performance for $$$ invested in the cooler :P

Fair enough. I don't plan on overclocking any time soon. I need to look into an Overclocking for Dummies guide first. Liquid cooling tech is 100% reliable now? I always have a fear of something leaking and doing damage.

2 minutes ago, deltron3030 said:

Fair enough. I don't plan on overclocking any time soon. I need to look into an Overclocking for Dummies guide first. Liquid cooling tech is 100% reliable now? I always have a fear of something leaking and doing damage.

Leaking is always possible and can always damage and even destroy your hardware. At your own risk. There are good Air coolers also, check noctua

That being said, I am touching wood right now. ( in Canada Quebec, it means that you are immune to what you've said if you touch wood ) sory not sure it's something common lol

Leaking is always possible and can always damage and even destroy your hardware. At your own risk.

That being said, I am touching wood right now. ( in Canada Quebec, it means that you are immune to what you've said if you touch wood ) sory not sure it's something common lol

Heh, if you're in Canada, isn't your weather enough to cool down everyone?

6 minutes ago, deltron3030 said:

Heh, if you're in Canada, isn't your weather enough to cool down everyone?

It is 35c right now loll

Not cool at all... Climage change my friend.. shit is real.. it's a record in history for that temp in september, record in 125 year

6 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

It is 35c right now loll

Not cool at all... Climage change my friend.. shit is real.. it's a record in history for that temp in september, record in 125 year

Wow, that's way warmer than I thought. I usually picture icicles there year round.

9 minutes ago, deltron3030 said:

Wow, that's way warmer than I thought. I usually picture icicles there year round.

Lolll where you from ?

It goes to -20 -30 in winter, +30 summer, I prefer autumn and spring, since its like 15-20

I love the hoodie u know