Beating Linus' 200, 400 dollar laptops

Okjoek

I wanted to beat Linus'  "Why not to get a 400 dollar laptop" challenge.

I think if you got this laptop which appears to have some pretty good reviews from the sources I've read:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315815&cm_re=E5-575-33BM-_-34-315-815-_-Product

And just got an 8gb stick of RAM (2133 to keep it consistent) to go from 4gb to 12gb you could be set for under 400 dollars. You could add an SSD too, but you'd go over 400 USD most likely. Luckily for me I have an SSD already I could put in it. Unlike the one Linus reviewed this one is somewhat upgrade-able and isn't soldered together.

I might actually buy this laptop. The value appears very good. What do you think?

Acer laptops suck, they are build badly and their temps are high, in this budget it is basically only worth buying a used business laptop.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

Acer laptops suck, they are build badly and their temps are high, in this budget it is basically only worth buying a used business laptop.

You think so? It's been a while since I've used a laptop and I've never tried an Acer one. If so that really sucks. It would have been nice to get a modern CPU for such an affordable price.

Shame if it's bad because I'll be honest from the pictures it actually has a pretty stylish design that I'd take over many modern laptops, especially gaming laptops.

Also how does one have "high temps" with a 15W i3?

Spoiler

Acer sucks

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, JDE said:
  Hide contents

Acer sucks

I wasn't aware that they had such a bad rep. Thanks for the heads up. That's why I post places like this to save myself embarrassing mistakes. Only laptops I've ever used have been HP and Dell. I think we also had a Toshiba one a while back, but I don't remember much about it.

8 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

with a very incompetent thermal design xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

18 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Not all Acer laptops are suck (I hate judging laptops by brand), however their Aspire E series laptops are very low end so avoid it, even the specs looks good, unknown longevity still an issue

Yeah you're right, OP should consider used business laptops.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

with a very incompetent thermal design xD 

Numerous 35W GT 1030 are passively cooled. A laptop cooler always has a blower fan. it boggles my mind to think you could fail to develop a decent cooling for that heat load in a 15" Laptop.

Honestly this was one of my last hopes for finding a modern CPU laptop for cheap. Might as well just say screw it at this point and wait for Ryzen mobile and end up spending atleast 700 dollars for anything that's not crap because apparently shoping for laptops is a lot more expensive than I remember. Or maybe my expectations have grown more in those years.

1 minute ago, Okjoek said:

Numerous 35W GT 1030 are passively cooled. A laptop cooler always has a blower fan. it boggles my mind to think you could fail to develop a decent cooling for that heat load in a 15" Laptop.

Honestly this was one of my last hopes for finding a modern CPU laptop for cheap. Might as well just say screw it at this point and wait for Ryzen mobile and end up spending atleast 700 dollars for anything that's not crap because apparently shoping for laptops is a lot more expensive than I remember. Or maybe my expectations have grown more in those years.

Well, I agree, it should work, but it is also at least possible they could have messed it up so badly that it throttles

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

OP should consider used business laptops.

That wasn't the goal though. I wanted to have a modern CPU platform for that price target that Linus made the video set with the cheap Dell laptops.

I agree at this point that it is indeed exceedingly difficult.

8 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Not all Acer laptops are suck (I hate judging laptops by brand), however their Aspire E series laptops are very low end so avoid it, even the specs looks good, unknown longevity still an issue

Yeah you're right, OP should consider used business laptops.

Sure not all of them, but a pretty big portion of them do and yeah this is a really low series from them that everyone should avoid. 

7 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

That wasn't the goal though. I wanted to have a modern CPU platform for that price target that Linus made the video set with the cheap Dell laptops.

I agree at this point that it is indeed exceedingly difficult.

Well those laptops are simply not worth it, the user experience is bad, both when it comes to how the laptops feel and how they perform and it is very likely that something will break. I have always looked upon these laptops as being a scam,  because that is basically what they are. 

It is not like the performance between the gens is insanely big and the fact that they won't throttle probably makes up for the performance difference in the end, so a 3rd gen business laptop can probably keep up with today's ULVs without any problem

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

15 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Sure not all of them, but a pretty big portion of them do and yeah this is a really low series from them that everyone should avoid. 

Well those laptops are simply not worth it, the user experience is bad, both when it comes to how the laptops feel and how they perform and it is very likely that something will break. I have always looked upon these laptops as being a scam,  because that is basically what they are. 

It is not like the performance between the gens is insanely big and the fact that they won't throttle probably makes up for the performance difference in the end, so a 3rd gen business laptop can probably keep up with today's ULVs without any problem

Idk if I would be able to enjoy even light gaming on such old iGPU. Typically easy to run stuff like Minecraft, World of Tanks, Rocket League, Runescape.

1 hour ago, Okjoek said:

You think so? It's been a while since I've used a laptop and I've never tried an Acer one. If so that really sucks. It would have been nice to get a modern CPU for such an affordable price.

Shame if it's bad because I'll be honest from the pictures it actually has a pretty stylish design that I'd take over many modern laptops, especially gaming laptops.

i used a $900 cheapo asus laptop thing (CAD, so like $600 US)

85c under load with the fan going VRRRRRRRRRR with i5 7200u.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.