Gigabyte Auros, EVGA FTW Hybrid, or Zotac AMP! Extreme 1080ti?

Sam Joseph

So I recently shipped back my Zotac 1080 ti AMP! Extreme because when I manually switched my refresh rate higher than 60hz the screen would become green/static, and now I'm back to square one looking for a replacement. The refund is coming in soon and I want to be certain that it was not a defect so I can just reorder it, or if it was and I should get the two others in the title or some other brand. I'm looking for pure performance, and I get I'll get very similar fps for games and such with any one I chose but I'm a perfectionist to an extent when it comes to this stuff. Current build in case of limitations is as follows: R5 fractal design case, 16gb Ram, EVGA 80+ Bronze edition PSU (750 watts), i5-4690k, Acer gn246hl monitor. Sorry if I respond late, ask me if you need more info, and thanks in advanced if I personally forget to do so!

That GPU will be a bottleneck for your CPU. Buy a Ryzen 3 system and a decent GPU. If you insist on getting a 1080TI, buy the Zotac one if you plan on overclocking. Otherwise, just get one that has a decent looking cooler on it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

8 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

That GPU will be a bottleneck for your CPU. Buy a Ryzen 3 system and a decent GPU. If you insist on getting a 1080TI, buy the Zotac one if you plan on overclocking. Otherwise, just get one that has a decent looking cooler on it.

this killed me. omg. il post a decent reply once im alive again 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

this killed me. omg. il post a decent reply once im alive again 

Why? Ryzen 3 is still relevant. I'm going off the assumption that he's got about $800. A haswell i5 will bottleneck a 1080TI. I'd find it to be a much better deal to build a R3 system and throw in a 1060 than to just buy a 1080TI.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

11 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Ok i think im over it now. ok, what you do here is you DONT spend that refund money on a downgrade to a R3 chip, you get a used 1080TI and grab a I7 4790K and bam, exelent system. the PSU isnt especially good so replace that when you can, but DONT GET A RYZEN OR KABYLAKE SYSTEM. the I7 4790K is basically as good as the 7700K, main performance differance is that the 7700K is clocked higher and overclocks better and that it has DDR4, there is really NO reason what so ever unless you desperatly need dual M.2 SSDs that you can boot from or something silly like that to upgrade the platform of your current system. a Ryzen 3 would be a pretty big DOWNGRADE from your current I5 4690K lol. the Zotac is also not the best GPU out of those for overclocking, the hybrid is lol, the 16 phases sound nice but they are pretty shit and wont make any differance here.

basically:

get a I7 4790K and a used 1080TI, its your best performance for that money.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

14 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

That GPU will be a bottleneck for your CPU. Buy a Ryzen 3 system and a decent GPU. 

What? Ryzen 3 is a downgrade from the 4690K and both the 4690K and the Ryzen 3 will bottleneck the 1080 Ti. A used 4790K would be a solid upgrade for the OP ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Why? Ryzen 3 is still relevant. I'm going off the assumption that he's got about $800. A haswell i5 will bottleneck a 1080TI. I'd find it to be a much better deal to build a R3 system and throw in a 1060 than to just buy a 1080TI.

but that will perform vastly worse though lol

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

What? Ryzen 3 is a downgrade from the 4690K and both the 4690K and the Ryzen 3 will bottleneck the 1080 Ti. A used 4790K would be a solid upgrade for the OP ;)

I didn't say to also buy a 1080TI. I said to buy a Ryzen 3 system and a 1060.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

thats a poor spending of money if he is already on the 4th gen Intel platform, like a total waste. he would be better off just buying the 1060, but like i said, a I7 4790K and a 1080TI is the by far best way to spend his cash

Builds:

Spoiler

Why? Ryzen 3 is a downgrade O.o The OP should probably get a used 4790K (and sell the 4690K for $100-180) with a GTX 1080. (Or 1080 Ti, depends on the budget)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Why? Ryzen 3 is a downgrade O.o The OP should probably get a used 4790K (and sell the 4690K for $100-180) with a GTX 1080. (Or 1080 Ti, depends on the budget)

OK OK OK, fine. I was wrong. I accept that now.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

28 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

OP for choices of the GPUs you mentioned, I would get the FTW3 Hybrid. I'd recommend the ROG Strix model if you wanted more choices.

Edited by JurunceNK

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

5 minutes ago, JurunceNK said:

OP for choices of the GPUs you mentioned, I would get the FTW3 Hybrid. I'd recommend the ROG Strix model if you wanted more choices.

The ROG Asus Strix was one of the original options I was looking at, so I might go for you're recommended option. Thanks for the opinion!

24 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

thats a poor spending of money if he is already on the 4th gen Intel platform, like a total waste. he would be better off just buying the 1060, but like i said, a I7 4790K and a 1080TI is the by far best way to spend his cash

What about the i7-7700k, around the same price, but is it better than the i7-4790k?

31 minutes ago, JurunceNK said:

What are your thoughts on the asus 1080 ti poseidon?

4 minutes ago, Sam Joseph said:

What are your thoughts on the asus 1080 ti poseidon?

Unless you're going to water-cool it, I would rather get the ROG Strix model. Air cooling on the Poseidon alone is around 10º C higher.

Air + Water with the Poseidon boasts performance that rivals the AIO and water-block equipped boards. But you're looking at a USD $120+ premium. So if you care about performance and 65-70º C is fine with you (which it is, it's an excellent cooler and runs very quiet under load), then I would get the ROG Strix and pocket the rest for something else.

Edited by JurunceNK

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

12 hours ago, Sam Joseph said:

What about the i7-7700k, around the same price, but is it better than the i7-4790k?

you will need a new motherboard and new RAM, for a minimal improvement. its REALLY not worth it

Builds:

Spoiler