Personal R9 290 Review

Kuzma

So I've been running an R9 290 for just over a week now and I figured I'd do a personal review on it, I tried to be as honest as possible in it.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I'll watch it when I get home.

If you are LTC mining (scrypt coins in general), I find these settings to be great for my 290X:

-g 1 -I 20 --thread-concurrency 30592 

I thought there would be a noticeable difference between the two (X vs non-X) in mining, but tbh, there's not. More shaders apparently doesn't matter. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

If you are LTC mining (scrypt coins in general), I find these settings to be great for my 290X:

I thought there would be a noticeable difference between the two (X vs non-X) in mining, but tbh, there's not. More shaders apparently doesn't matter. 

-rubs hands together-

Good, good.

Try these settings in bfgminer 3.6.0 : -I 20 -g 1 --thread-concurrency 32765 should get you well over 900 KHash/S

-rubs hands together-

Good, good.

Lol, yeah. Some 290's can get over 900KH/s. While I'm sitting here with my 290X and can only get 865KH/s. Dang you silicon lottery!

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Try these settings in bfgminer 3.6.0 : -I 20 -g 1 --thread-concurrency 32765 should get you well over 900 KHash/S

Lol, yeah. Some 290's can get over 900KH/s. While I'm sitting here with my 290X and can only get 865KH/s. Dang you silicon lottery!

I'm using those settings. I don't know if 290's can handle that thread-concurrency. I get that hash rate^. Thanks for the suggestion though.

My core clock is 900 and my memory clock is 1500. Changing in either direction for either of them lowers my hash rate.

† Christian Member †

I so want one after Asus releases one with their aftermarket cooler, should be amazing. :D

that'ssimilar to what I use :3 I get between 820KHashes/s and 680 KHashes/s on intensity 14 but on intensity 20 I get a stable 820 KHashes/s

I use GUIminer since I wanted to get it set up quickly and couldn't be bothered to find CGminer and set it up myself :P but I use thread concurrency 32765 ; what hash rate do you get?

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I'm using those settings. I don't know if 290's can handle that thread-concurrency. I get that hash rate^. Thanks for the suggestion though.

My core clock is 900 and my memory clock is 1500. Changing in either direction for either of them lowers my hash rate.

:o my core clock is 947 most of the time but it can handle 1Ghz and mem clock is 1250 increasing this by even 1Mhz causes instability so I leave it

that'ssimilar to what I use :3 I get between 820KHashes/s and 680 KHashes/s on intensity 14 but on intensity 20 I get a stable 820 KHashes/s

I use GUIminer since I wanted to get it set up quickly and couldn't be bothered to find CGminer and set it up myself :P but I use thread concurrency 32765 ; what hash rate do you get?

GUIminer is CGminer based.

I know :P I have however heard it can lower KHashes/s so *shrug*

:o my core clock is 947 most of the time but it can handle 1Ghz and mem clock is 1250 increasing this by even 1Mhz causes instability so I leave it

More core clock =/= Better hash rate. Lowering mine 50 MHz raises my hash rate from 770's to 860's. Huge difference.

Bad VRAM I guess. :( Know that feel. (Old 6870) Most 290's (both X and non-X) can handle 1500 MHz on RAM from what I've seen. I even tried bumping mine to 1600MHz, but it made my hash rate go down. 

I get 865KH/s on I 20. 

Also, auto-gpu fan is a bad thing. Causes the card to throttle more often than not. I got another 20-30KH/s by finding a fan speed and sticking with it (55%).

Yes, but I find it terrible anyway. Like, really. I hate GUIminer. I'm a power user... so.. yeah.

† Christian Member †

More core clock =/= Better hash rate. Lowering mine 50 MHz raises my hash rate from 770's to 860's. Huge difference.

Bad VRAM I guess. :( Know that feel. (Old 6870) Most 290's (both X and non-X) can handle 1500 MHz on RAM from what I've seen. I even tried bumping mine to 1600MHz, but it made my hash rate go down. 

I get 865KH/s on I 20. 

Also, auto-gpu fan is a bad thing. Causes the card to throttle more often than not. I got another 20-30KH/s by finding a fan speed and sticking with it (55%).

Yes, but I find it terrible anyway. Like, really. I hate GUIminer. I'm a power user... so.. yeah.

getting 500Khashes on I 13 and I set the fan speed to 100% for the Lols............................................................

No comment is all I have to say xD

getting 500Khashes on I 13 and I set the fan speed to 100% for the Lols............................................................

No comment is all I have to say xD

lol, I get 600 or so on I 15. Which is a perfect balance between Hash Rate and movie watching for me. 

But yeah. I dove into BTC mining in College (last christmas) and started with BAMT (Big A Miner Thing) which is a special distro of Linux built purely for mining (cgminer is built-in). Linux + Cgminer = Command Prompt hell. 

So I prefer those things. I hear there's a specific version of BAMT for scrypt mining now. I'm just using Windows 8.1. Was too poor in college to afford Windows, and I hate the idea of a student license.

† Christian Member †

7970 seem like a more viable option to me with something over 700 kilohashes with a low intensity so you can use the pc while it mines. But I've heard that 7970 are out of stock everywhere(probably because eol) 

And at least core to memory clock ratio is important, and also I've heard that cgminer is the best bet to go with

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Damm i love you're voice  :D

I totally going to buy a r9 290 though im waiting for the aftermarket coolers

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz