How to make script to notify of unreceived mail?

Hello,

I work at an IT-helpdesk and we manage the servers of many companies. We receive mail notifying us about the back-up of the server (succesfull or unsuccesfull) and our virus scanner if it has seen any viruses on our customers PC's and such.

Now my question was, since we get a lot of notiifying e-mails of the back-ups I wanted to know if it's possible to get notified if we don't receive an e-mail from a certain company. Like for example I received a back-up report from company Y that has been succesfull and a back-up report from company X that was unsuccesfull, but we didn't receive any e-mail from company Z, so for example company Z e-mail servers are down.

But I don't check if I received a backup report from each company so I wanted to know if it's possible to receive a notification if I didn't receive a report e-mail from a certain sender/company?

I thought of maybe using VBScript, but I have no experience in scripting at all.

Thanks in advance

Maybe setup a daily reminder that mail has not arrived.

Then make a rule that checks incoming mail, when it receives the mail make it run a macro that will delete the reminder for that day. 

12 hours ago, Sebivor said:

You can force them to read your email... then you'll know they've read it!

You didn't even read my question right

Just now, Jorn__ said:

You didn't even read my question right

I don't understand a single bit op scripting okay, but maybe there's something else for it, like a program or something that will make the script for you I have no idea, alright. I am sorry I don't have the amount of time to get the knowledge of scripting, I really am. It's just something i was wondering about if it is even possible or if you understand what I want

Where do these emails go? I'm assuming they end up in some CRM or ticketing platform?

If so, surely you can generate a report on the CRM based on the incoming emails. That's what these systems are designed for.

Scripting is great for automating tasks but this isn't a good use case.

Thread cleaned.

If you won't help OP then there's no need to reply and be condescending. Remember the Community Standards when interacting with other;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I still would love to get some help. All information about what it's all about is in my first post.

I work at an IT company, we receive mails if back-ups where succesfull or not and if there were any errors of the companies we manage the IT portion for.

Every mail account connected to our domain receives this mail through an extra mailbox named 'Hardware'.

But sometimes you don't receive their mail because their e-mail servers could be down, we can't possibly know what happened so....We would like to receive notifications when we didn't get a report at all. ALL THESE MAILS OF BACK-UP AND ERROR ARE SENT AUTOMATICALLY BY THE SERVER, NOT BY THE COMPANY ITSELF BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE A HUGE PAIN. We receive this mail daily, 7 days a week.

2 hours ago, Jorn__ said:

I still would love to get some help. All information about what it's all about is in my first post.

On 9/27/2017 at 1:49 AM, roast said:

Where do these emails go? I'm assuming they end up in some CRM or ticketing platform?

?

They go to a special extra mailbox in Outlook as was said

So you work for a helpdesk with no ticketing or CRM system? I'm asking because it would be a whole lot easier to run a report on email-to-case generation in a CRM than trying to write a script to identify mails that are non-existent. There are quite a lot of variables involved that only you would be able to note, no amount of asking on the internet can help there.

If you have no CRM (which I find hard to believe if your're an established MSD) then:
1 - you have bigger problems than learning how to script

and 

2 - Go get vTiger. It's free, supports email-to-case to run reports and I'm sure you can find a whole lot more uses for it.

Greetings, you expressed concerns of using VBScript in spite of lack of experience. Have you tried reading a book? If so, please quote the chapter which confuses you, as I previously prompted.

I'm struggling to work out how to help you, aside from doing your work for you... This isn't rentacoder or a freelancer website, and I won't do your work for you for free. If you're looking for a book reco, well, I personally think you've chosen the wrong language.

Your system administrators would use bash, curl and crontab for this. It could be hacked together in less than an hour... by someone who knows bash scripting. Perhaps your system administrators could write it for you? Have you asked them?

Bottom line: What have you tried?

Nothing yet that's why I came here for help, and I forgot to mention I am an intern at this company, I am in the second year of the IT studies so I am sorry that probably all I ask here has to be shoved into my head like feeding a 1 year old baby, next to that I am Dutch so English is not my first language. I'm quite lost right now