Problems logging in after maintenance

So, the issue seems to have resolved itself, but I just wanted to post about it in case others run into the same problem.

When I initially attempted to login, it rejected my password.  It's entirely possible I was typing in the wrong one, but that's rather moot now.

After two or three attempts, I finally decided to reset my password.  I clicked on 'Forgot my password' and put in my e-mail address.

And waited....and waited.....and waited....and waited....

I scrolled down to the bottom and clicked "Contact us", but was informed that it was not available to guests, and I had to sign in (do you see the irony there?).

I finally got tired of waiting and tried a couple other passwords.  Eventually, my account got locked out for 10 minutes.  That e-mail notification came through immediately.  I clicked on the 'reset password' link in that e-mail, but it took me another page that I was denied access to (because, yet again, I wasn't signed in).  I once again went through the 'Forgot my password' option and finally got the password reset link.

After all that, I was finally able to reset my password and get on here to post.

16 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

So, the issue seems to have resolved itself, but I just wanted to post about it in case others run into the same problem.

When I initially attempted to login, it rejected my password.  It's entirely possible I was typing in the wrong one, but that's rather moot now.

After two or three attempts, I finally decided to reset my password.  I clicked on 'Forgot my password' and put in my e-mail address.

And waited....and waited.....and waited....and waited....

I scrolled down to the bottom and clicked "Contact us", but was informed that it was not available to guests, and I had to sign in (do you see the irony there?).

I finally got tired of waiting and tried a couple other passwords.  Eventually, my account got locked out for 10 minutes.  That e-mail notification came through immediately.  I clicked on the 'reset password' link in that e-mail, but it took me another page that I was denied access to (because, yet again, I wasn't signed in).  I once again went through the 'Forgot my password' option and finally got the password reset link.

After all that, I was finally able to reset my password and get on here to post.

Yeah contact us should be available to guests as well.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

It looks like the email sending might have been slightly delayed when you experienced this. It looks like it was probably just a temporary issue, perhaps because there were lots of other things going on while the upgrade was finalising a few things, so it should be ok now.

Contact us not being available to guests is an unfortunate side effect of us not having many options with the contact us - all the messages there are just sent as PMs to an admin. We know it's not optimal, but the majority of things that get posted there were spammy anyway before we switched to that.

HTTP/2 203

56 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Contact us not being available to guests is an unfortunate side effect of us not having many options with the contact us - all the messages there are just sent as PMs to an admin. We know it's not optimal, but the majority of things that get posted there were spammy anyway before we switched to that.

The problem with that, is that I had no recourse available to me when I was unable to access my account.  I was about to create a second account strictly so I could get in and request assistance.  Fortunately, that didn't become necessary.  There should be some sort of web form that can be filled out in cases such as this, or in cases where someone is attempting to create an account but may have run into issues and could not complete the process.

Something to consider.  I can't imagine it would be too difficult to create a bot account that only processes the requests and PM's them to the appropriate people.

5 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

The problem with that, is that I had no recourse available to me when I was unable to access my account.  I was about to create a second account strictly so I could get in and request assistance.  Fortunately, that didn't become necessary.  There should be some sort of web form that can be filled out in cases such as this, or in cases where someone is attempting to create an account but may have run into issues and could not complete the process.

Something to consider.  I can't imagine it would be too difficult to create a bot account that only processes the requests and PM's them to the appropriate people.

Good idea

Maybe also with a captcha to prevent spam? (although most of your spam might not be robots, but just random people)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4