DAC audio vs Motherboard audio

IAR117

I have a pair of SR60Es which I currently run through my Asrock Z97 Anniversary motherboard. Would upgrading to, for example a Schiit Fulla 2 make Spotify (non-premium) sound better? I also listen to some ripped FLAC files. TIA :)

It would make the sound better, but i don't think you can hear a diffrence.

Not really worth it

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

The only way to find that out sadly is to compare them. Audio and difference between them can be non or alot depending on who's listening. I could say you would hear a big difference, but you might not, because Your ears can tell the difference, and maybe mine can. So the only way you will know is if you try yourself, and see if you'll hear any differance.

I have found out in the later years that I can easier hear the differance between sound Equipment when I understood what I should listen for to find the differance.

I have a Schiit headphone amp, and are really happy With it, but uses it With a Asus pci soundcard (Essence STX), and prefers it over the build in headphone amp on the Asus card, even if they use the same dac for their signal.

Sorry for the few off Capital letters in my posts, it does it on its own when I Write in English, since my OS is in another Language. It's annoying.

9 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

I have a pair of SR60Es which I currently run through my Asrock Z97 Anniversary motherboard. Would upgrading to, for example a Schiit Fulla 2 make Spotify (non-premium) sound better? I also listen to some ripped FLAC files. TIA :)

not really worth it imho, its only 32ohms...

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

9 hours ago, SeanAngelo said:

not really worth it imho, its only 32ohms...

The impedance doesn't matter. Go read the pinned post.

The fact is that he has grado headphones, they aren't very detailed and their frequency response is very very bumpy, so improving the source would kinda be a waste of money, at least if you compare it to improving the headphones.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

18 hours ago, IAR117 said:

Audible improvements are likely vs the onboard, but not with grados. They aren't resolving and the FR is kind of screwed so improving your source/amplification is a waste of your money. Buy better headphones first.

Thanks for all the replies guys :) What level of headphones would benefit from a dac?

Headphones that are known to scale a large amount, meaning a more audible difference with source/amp upgrades such as:

-HD650

-HD800

7 hours ago, seduce_me said:

Headphones that are known to scale a large amount, meaning a more audible difference with source/amp upgrades such as:

-HD650

-HD800

Really? Wow I didn't think you'd have to go that high end for a listening difference

3 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

Really? Wow I didn't think you'd have to go that high end for a listening difference

well, you don't to notice a difference, but those he listed just show a difference more than other headphones.

On 9/17/2017 at 12:54 PM, AndersT2 said:

I have found out in the later years that I can easier hear the differance between sound Equipment when I understood what I should listen for to find the differance.

Many moons ago a colleague told me to "listen to the harpsichord strings resonating with the voice of the soprano when she's singing solo." I thought, ok, I'll indulge your fancy, but what difference can this setup make? It turns out, the difference between two amplifiers was such that you could tell which was which by those little resonances -- they made a difference. The better amplifier, and we're talking homemade amps here, allowed those differences to show sound through.

Once you learn how to tell things like that, you start the path to ruin. Each 5% increase in quality is a three-fold increase in price, and it never ends...

(There are many things that simply cost money and make no difference, but there are things that do make a difference. Only the ears can tell. Preferably in a blind sound test.)

On 9/19/2017 at 12:45 PM, IAR117 said:

Technically, there is a listening difference with any pair of headphones as different DAC/amplifiers color the sound differently. You don't typically buy DACs or amplifiers for cheaper headphones because they are hindered by other things anyway. In other words, audio peripherals are for improving/refining sound, not fixing it.

16 hours ago, kxrider85 said:

Technically, there is a listening difference with any pair of headphones as different DAC/amplifiers color the sound differently. You don't typically buy DACs or amplifiers for cheaper headphones because they are hindered by other things anyway. In other words, audio peripherals are for improving/refining sound, not fixing it.

It's not for fixing it, I was hoping to improve audio form lower quality inputs such as older YouTube music

3 hours ago, IAR117 said:

It's not for fixing it, I was hoping to improve audio form lower quality inputs such as older YouTube music

When you start with a low quality source (YouTube), there isn't really anything that you can do to make it sound better. A DAC won't sound better that your onboard when using a low quality source.

`

Basically, what everyone's saying is true, for you to benefit from a an external DAC stack/combo, you'd have to improve everything else in the audio chain. Perhaps 320kbps MP3's, but I would suggest FLAC/WAV and better audio source, plus reasonably good DAC/amp + good pair of cans. I have the GS1000i, and though some may find it a tad too sparkly, I absolutely love it! I use my GS1000i with my OPPO HA1 (sometimes my Fostex HPA4 which warms the sound a little) with digital audio source fed from my computer (FLAC/WAV/DSD) to my DAC stack/combo. NOT that I'm suggesting that you get the GS1ki, it isn't for everyone. But be forewarned though, this audio indulgence can be quite the slippery slope.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

OK then, so what I've got from you guys is that to truly benefit from a DAC/AMP, I need better headphones and need to listen to at least FLAC/WAV files. Thanks for replies all :)

1 hour ago, IAR117 said:

OK then, so what I've got from you guys is that to truly benefit from a DAC/AMP, I need better headphones and need to listen to at least FLAC/WAV files. Thanks for replies all :)

The second part is not true. Yes more resolving headphones can bring out more low-level detail but it does not determine the quality of the entire headphone, such as:

• Timbre
  • FR
  • Attack/Decay etc.