RGB Led Strips

Will01

I currently have some cheap rbg led strips on the edge of my desk, and it lights up all around my desk and it, well used to, look pretty sweet. These things are horrible quality. The current state, is that about half the lights in the strip turn on, only blue and green works out of rgb, and if some part of the strip is moved, the full set of lights goes off, this can be triggered just by moving the desk. I want to spend more. Id rather go big or go home. If i have to save up a little, i will because i dont want a pile of junk again. But when i look on amazon, all i see is the exact same product listed from around £8 to like £30. yes im in the uk btw. Its just the same thing, with a different name. usually like so many meters on a reel, with the same remote and same power supply/led controller box thing i have now. I just want a decent set that i know will last! My only idea right now is ikea, they do some but i dont think they are proper rgb, just 7 colours, i guess it doesnt matter, but to cover the back and side of my desk which is what i want, it will cost £36. little more than i hoped to pay to be honest! But if that is what i need to pay, i will! sorry its a little confusing, just want a decent set of lights for as cheap as possible, but not a pile of junk. thanks xD

Quality LED strips can be surprisingly expensive. Cablemod and NZXT make decent ones.

5 minutes ago, LeinadTM said:

Quality LED strips can be surprisingly expensive. Cablemod and NZXT make decent ones.

I know bitfenix also makes some LED strips, but all of the mentioned strips are for PC hardware, meaning they usually run off a molex or sata connector and dont come with an external power brick

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

I know bitfenix also makes some LED strips, but all of the mentioned strips are for PC hardware, meaning they usually run off a molex or sata connector and dont come with an external power brick

Ah, that's true. Then again, I'm sure there's some product out there that can adapt SATA to a wall outlet/battery pack.

Is your current strip using an adhesive backing, and stuck to a metal surface at any point in the strip?

8 minutes ago, LeinadTM said:

Ah, that's true. Then again, I'm sure there's some product out there that can adapt SATA to a wall outlet/battery pack.

Well you could just cut off the sata and molex it directly to a cord like i did but who wants to do that and buying from cable mod you get short strips because the meant for a pc case 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

3 minutes ago, Vernw3 said:

Well you could just cut off the sata and molex it directly to a cord like i did but who wants to do that and buying from cable mod you get short strips because the meant for a pc case 

11 minutes ago, NeoAthlon said:

Is your current strip using an adhesive backing, and stuck to a metal surface at any point in the strip?

12 minutes ago, LeinadTM said:

14 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

yeah, ive seen some good ones from some big companies, but yeah, designed for pc cases. i can do soldering work etc if needed but i dont think id find anything long enough or that would work properly to control the rgb. they are them sticky ones, but onto a wooden desk. its just they are poop and the wiring inside the strips has just broken probably. they are just totalled. not interested in fixing them, ive had enough lol

Just now, Will01 said:

yeah, ive seen some good ones from some big companies, but yeah, designed for pc cases. i can do soldering work etc if needed but i dont think id find anything long enough or that would work properly to control the rgb. they are them sticky ones, but onto a wooden desk. its just they are poop and the wiring inside the strips has just broken probably. they are just totalled. not interested in fixing them, ive had enough lol

Ever considered Christmas lights? =D

Just now, LeinadTM said:

Ever considered Christmas lights? =D

hmmm :o

in what sense?

2 minutes ago, Will01 said:

in what sense?

Related image

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, Will01 said:

in what sense?

As in stringing them along the back of the desk with tape or something. Should work for the look you're going for.

2 minutes ago, Will01 said:

im going for this look by the way mqdefault.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262027317549

s-l1600.jpg

Related image

hahahahah cringeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

cable management. your setting me off. dont make me go and start organising wires! xD

Related image

That was pretty much my desk last December lol

Just now, LeinadTM said:

That was pretty much my desk last December lol

hahahha, id do it for a month :D

it would be straight down january 1st though lol

Just now, Will01 said:

hahahha, id do it for a month :D

it would be straight down january 1st though lol

Mine may or may not be still up. They weren't all over the desk like that though, just running up the back of it and around the room. They're hooked up to the same power bar as my monitor, so I'm quite used to it now.

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

thats my exact problem. its the exact same ones i have now. except mine cost £10 they are like £35. its the exact same product at all sorts of prices. i think i might just pick and sort off amazon and make sure its got a proper warranty. Also is what i have now is 5m. that enough to run all the way along my desk twice. But where the strip has to bend, and turn 180 its damaging it. you can cut these strips, so im thinking i can cut it, and run it along my desk twice, but connect the 2 strips into 1 power supply, rgb controller. what do you think, i reckon that will keep it nice and tidy!

Just buy a cheap thing off amazon or ebay there not junk ive been using them for over a year now with no problems maybe you just got some defective ones 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

Phanteks makes really nice RGB strips as well, with magnets and a silicon outer to protect them. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Is your current(dead/dying) strip water resistant?

If not that might be a better option to look into.  Not so much for the water resistance, but the rubberized coating over it will make it more resilient to getting damaged if it's bumped/pinched.

Just now, NeoAthlon said:

Is your current(dead/dying) strip water resistant?

If not that might be a better option to look into.  Not so much for the water resistance, but the rubberized coating over it will make it more resilient to getting damaged if it's bumped/pinched.

not sure if its waterproof, but it does have a thick coating around it. but its junk. it snaps instead of bending after a while.

ok, the damage at the bend is probably not something your going to get away from unless you make a reasonably sized loop rather than a tight 180 bend.

As long as your comfortable soldering it, just cut it to length and use some wire to reconnect it (the wires inside ethernet cables work nice for this if you have some laying around).

Just now, NeoAthlon said:

ok, the damage at the bend is probably not something your going to get away from unless you make a reasonably sized loop rather than a tight 180 bend.

As long as your comfortable soldering it, just cut it to length and use some wire to reconnect it (the wires inside ethernet cables work nice for this if you have some laying around).

i think that might be the best. thanks man :D