USB 2.0 better than 3.0 for Camera's?

(Please read everything before commenting)

Hello community,

so Me and someone else were discuissing a potential upgrade of one of our friends.

She streams on the regular base on twitch and the topic came up.

The main concern was upgrading the system for improved performance and possebilities.

The System Specs of our friend are following:

Cpu: i74770K at 4.3Ghz

Cpu Cooler: Corsair Hydro H55

Gpu: GTX 770;

RAM: DDR3 16Gb RAM at 1333Mhz

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G43

(Got informed that it is another one but didn't got the actual one)

Webcamera: Logitech C920

Camera: Canon EOS 700D with 50mm 1.4 lens

Camcoder: Canon VIXIA HF R500

My Position was that if our friend upgrade she should go for:

a new Mobo(with USB 3.0, Type C or Thunderbold Ports)

new Ram (16-32GB of DDR4, 2133 or upwards)

and maybe even get a dual 980 build if the Cpu doesnt get upgraded much OR a 980/1060 and a high end Intel or Amd CPU

My reasoning behind it was: Mobo - Better Connectors for better transfer,

RAM - Higher ddr level for improved multi-tasking and higher Mhz wont hurt,

Dual Gpu/Cpu upgrade - Better Encoding / More headroom, Higher Quality

His Position was:

Staying on USB 2.0 because it has a better BUS witdh,

CPU is strong enough for a while,

Dual GPU is better for streaming than CPU upgrade.

(To his position from my perspective: I think staying on USB 2.0 is only making things worse especially since I nowhere found superior bus speed information about 2.0 than 3.0,

CPU is decent enough but a upgrade would help but isn't as important,

and Dual GPU is very situational depended)

To the upgrade, its not from the most importance as our friend can stream and is stable (1080 @30fps).

The only thing is that she could once stream with 4 cameras and now her obs or system crashes/freezes when she has more than 2 cameras connected

We were just discussing what would help her and what the upgrade path should be.

So now I want to ask you guys, if his position has some points and

what upgrade path you think would help and how my advice was.

I'm not a extreme expert so take everything with a grain of salt.

Vincent M.

..what

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

The USB thing is just weird. 3.0 is theoretical 10x faster then 2.0. Besides that is backwards compatible with 2.0 anyway :D

As for the GPU. I would not go with dual GPU either crossfire or SLI as its hit and miss game wise performance / compatibility wise.

Why not just get a pcie extension for USB 3.0 and a single stronger GPU. That CPU is fairly strong and the only reason I would see in upgrading it is a new mobo and/or you need more cores/threads. Not sure on what cameras your using but many only run upto 2.0 and you would see no benefit.

@Vinci480

USB 2.0 is slower (480 Mb/sec), i.e. has lower bandwidth, than USB 3.0 (5 Gb/sec).

If the system does not have an ssd, adding one should help. Also cleaning up the hdd might help.

If the system could previously stream 4 cameras and now has difficulty with 2, I would be looking at what has changed. Particularly with software and drivers.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

56 minutes ago, Vinci480 said:

The only thing is that she could once stream with 4 cameras and now her obs or system crashes/freezes when she has more than 2 cameras connected

if 4 cameras worked before but stopped working now, i would try to figure out the cause for this. any driver or software updates lately? (obs got an update recently that changed some things noticeably for me) 

the 4770K is still a good CPU and the 16gb DDR3 1333 RAM should be fine either - faster ram won't make much difference, more ram maybe.

higher DDR version does not improve multitasking AFAIK. more cores do.

usb 2.0 vs 3.0 should not make a difference with cameras either, but make sure each camera gets its own usb port. running multiple 1080p cameras on a usb hub might introduce problems with power and/or bandwidth.

removing the hub (if one is used of course) should be one of the first steps when troubleshooting usb problems.