Is a $600 CPU 10x MORE POWERFUL than a $60 one?

Intel's Core i7 7820X is nearly TEN TIMES more expensive than the Pentium G4560... But does it offer ten times the PERFORMANCE?

Synergy sponsor link: Share your mouse and keyboard between multiple computers with Synergy! Save 50% here: https://symless.com/synergy/linus28

Buy the Core i7 7820X
On Amazon: http://geni.us/oDFgNF
On Newegg: http://geni.us/ETpd

Or buy the Pentium G4560
On Amazon: http://geni.us/kuXL
On Newegg: http://geni.us/LGIqR4K

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Law of diminishing returns...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

*shakes it off* I still kinda wished I went Ryzen instead of Intel because of this. It still seems like their new lineup is a hot mess regardless.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

To answer the 'clickbait' title, no not really.

To answer the real question, is the $600 i9* 10x more valuable? then like Linus said, it depends massively on situation.

Is Linus likely to replace the editing stations at LTT with Pentiums? no. i9s* (once x299 matures), probably.

The one thing I did take from this is how capable the Pentium is at gaming, yes it needs some help from a good GPU, pick your side, but sacrifice a little eye candy and it can game as well as any whilst even acting as a place-holder for a future upgrade.

*Yes, I know, i7-blahblahblah. But intel really did miss a trick there, ask BMW

While watching the video I came up with a spectacular idea.

You know how some benchmarks are "larger numbers means better" (for example, FPS) and some are "lower means better" (for example, startup times) – well, how about instead of having a piece of text indicating that each time, you just flipped the "lower means better" results horizontally, so that the bars would start at the right side of the screen, and then go over to the left! This would mean that "more far to the right" is always better, and makes it easier to quickly get a grasp of the benchmark results in the 1 to 2 second time window they are shown for.

Perhaps this has been discussed before, idk, just wanted to pitch an idea. :)

I think, that this show that for 80% of your normal office PC or your moms dust collector box, the G4560. I even configure the main standard system with this for a hospital i have worked for. Its was enouth wit 8G Ram an 120GB SSD.

Some of my frients use the G4400 in their main Homserver setup and the only thing they think is, I need more RAM (8/16->16/32/64).

I also think about an i7, but I end up with the E5-1620 V3, because of ECC support. Its running a old company DB, that is better with less higher clocked cores. Overclocking was not an option.

4 hours ago, Sacredsock said:

To answer the 'clickbait' title, no not really.

To answer the real question, is the $600 i9* 10x more valuable? then like Linus said, it depends massively on situation.

Is Linus likely to replace the editing stations at LTT with Pentiums? no. i9s* (once x299 matures), probably.

The one thing I did take from this is how capable the Pentium is at gaming, yes it needs some help from a good GPU, pick your side, but sacrifice a little eye candy and it can game as well as any whilst even acting as a place-holder for a future upgrade.

*Yes, I know, i7-blahblahblah. But intel really did miss a trick there, ask BMW

it might not be i9s they go with, AMD might be a viable option for them at that time which offers them better performance, (we will need to wait and see as both lines are new and still buggy, but I would say AMD is not out of contention for the next lot) but only time will see if their next line up is even able to live up to reputation of ryzen 1 cause ryzen 2 looks like it has big boots to fill because of the massive jump ryzen 1 has offered

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

Just now, grimreeper132 said:

it might not be i9s they go with, AMD might be a viable option for them at that time which offers them better performance, (we will need to wait and see as both lines are new and still buggy, but I would say AMD is not out of contention for the next lot) but only time will see if their next line up is even able to live up to reputation of ryzen 1 cause ryzen 2 looks like it has big boots to fill because of the massive jump ryzen 1 has offered

very true, and I think that very possibly Linus will consider ryzen, or (more likely) TR, assuming multi GPU and SSD for rendering.

But mainly I was using it as an example for going with the dis-proportionally expensive CPU

Just now, Sacredsock said:

very true, and I think that very possibly Linus will consider ryzen, or (more likely) TR, assuming multi GPU and SSD for rendering.

But mainly I was using it as an example for going with the dis-proportionally expensive CPU

oh I get that, I was more just pointing that out. I wonder if they will be doing a comparison with AMD like this, and yea if they go TR it will be for so they can get all the PCI-E lanes and all the IO. Same with EYPC is likely to be used for any future server shit cause it looks good

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

After watching an 8 minute video, i left no closer to understanding how better or worse it was.

The graphs are not very clear, why not create a table - put CPUs on the y axis, the tests on the x, and put in a multiplier for how many times the better cpus were better than the crappy one. 

i.e. 

CPU               Pentium           i9                 i7

7zip                          1x                2.5x               3x 

Crysis                       1x                9x                  5x

cinnebench              1x                2x                 2.5x

In the speed it takes to scroll through graphs. i think it would be better to consolidate them as above. Maybe just have the actual values in small print next to each value

Crysis                       1x30fps                9x 279fps                 5x150fps

It would have been nice if linus had actually said what tasks of the above actually benefit from the cache

it would be even better if the CPU had RGB smh.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I really like this video it was good (for the i7 part). I wish intel scale their pricing at least why do they have to exponentially increase the cost, if it's improvements don't meet the price for it. More people might buy it because it's cheaper. 

Also, Poor brandon, he couldn't tell the difference between i9 and i7 thought out the video while shooting. And anthony seems like a good writer. 

i.e. Context is everything.

If you're just going to use it for apps which use 1-2 cores, you won't notice a massive difference between a 2 core 3.5 GHz processor and a 10 core 3.5 GHz processor.

Law of diminished returns too, as usual.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

16 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Law of diminishing returns...

ARikozuM, you are proof that SCIENCE always wins. Linus all like

LETS SEE IF THIS WORKS

then you like

NO. CAUSE DIMINISHING RETURNS! DEAL WITH IT. SCIENCE AND MATH.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

Guys, you dropped the ball hard on this one :( Not only it felt too forced, but you should have redone the video after the i7 vs i9 mistake. I've been a fan of your videos for years but the quality seems to be dropping steadily. Hope you sort out your new offices sooner than later and have more time to make better videos again.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000