Internet plan of 200 down and only getting 50 down

Aquanet
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
56 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

Weird, because provisioning is usually done at the store level or warehouse level before the techs come and pick up the modem. Anywho, glad we could be of assistance. :)

The OP owns his own modem, I know this for a fact because Rented SB6141 modems are end of life on their network, only customer owned ones work. So provisioning is done online so to speak. Xfinity will send out a config file with the speed they are provisioning. The modem downloads the Config file and there you go, your up and running. Sounds like a wrong Config file or a line issue. 

What's the connection speed on your computer's ethernet port? 10/100Mbps or Gigabit? Do you know what the correct spec for dBmv across all channels on the DOCSIS modem should be for your network provider? Do you know how to check this?

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

3 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

What's the connection speed on your computer's ethernet port? 10/100Mbps or Gigabit? Do you know what the correct spec for dBmv across all channels on the DOCSIS modem should be for your network provider? Do you know how to check this?

Gigbit for the port question I believe.

59b6e8356419b_ethernetspeed.png.8d841665b0fe8d1152b89a43af497fe4.png

How do you check the spec for the dBmv?

You need to log into your ISP modem and see if you can find anything that mentions channels. I won't know based on the modem since I'm more focused on Canadian DOCSIS. 

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

I guess the big question is what settings are you using to stream, and what service?

yt gaming (video encoding information -> codec NVENC H 264 & 6000 kps bitrate)

and

twitch (video encoding information -> codec NVENC H 264 & 6000 kps bitrate).

tw.png

6 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

You need to log into your ISP modem and see if you can find anything that mentions channels. I won't know based on the modem since I'm more focused on Canadian DOCSIS. 

oh i see. i know how to log into my netgear router, but how do i log into my modem? can i get the same information from logging into the router?

1 minute ago, Aquanet said:

yt gaming (video encoding information -> codec NVENC H 264 & 6000 kps bitrate)

and

twitch (video encoding information -> codec NVENC H 264 & 6000 kps bitrate).

tw.png

At 6000kbps (I'm going to assume at 1080p60?) using NVENC, it's going to look very compressed.

Basically, you're choosing one service or the other to push a decent bitrate.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 minutes ago, Aquanet said:

oh i see. i know how to log into my netgear router, but how do i log into my modem? can i get the same information from logging into the router?

Your ISP may use a different IP to log in such as 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2... I'm really not sure. Try out what Dan said as well.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

At 6000kbps (I'm going to assume at 1080p60?) using NVENC, it's going to look very compressed.

Basically, you're choosing one service or the other to push a decent bitrate.

that's right 1080p60 and i stream to bought at once using restream. how can I stream to both at once time without it looking so compressed?

at my old place i had 180ish down and 12ish up, so the stream quality was great and no dropped frames. but now . . . same internet plan from xfinity and i have 50 down 5up, no change to my plan at all.

I did move to new apartment and upgraded my routers firmware.

Just now, Aquanet said:

that's right 1080p60 and i stream to bought at once using restream. how can I stream to both at once time without it looking so compressed?

at my old place i had 180ish down and 12ish up, so the stream quality was great and no dropped frames. but now . . . same internet plan from xfinity and i have 50 down 5up, no change to my plan at all.

I did move to new apartment and upgraded my routers firmware.

Short answer is you're not.

Long answer is you're going to need to use CPU-based x264 encoding with a good compression level.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Short answer is you're not.

Long answer is you're going to need to use CPU-based x264 encoding with a good compression level.

cpu based encoding better than gpu based?

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yes. Downside to that is that you'll need a beefy CPU, especially if you want good quality at a low bitrate.

I have a, would that do the job? So a higher bitrate doesn't mean better quality?

Intel - Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

Just now, Aquanet said:

I have a, would that do the job? So a higher bitrate doesn't mean better quality?

Intel - Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

All depends on the games you're streaming.

Higher bitrate inherently means better quality, but when applicable, better compression at the same bitrate will beat a faster encoding method at the same bitrate at the cost of performance in encoding.

Better compression can offset the needs of a high bitrate in a decent amount of scenarios, basically.

13 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

Your ISP may use a different IP to log in such as 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2... I'm really not sure. Try out what Dan said as well.

dan's advice was helpful on the compression side.

still don't know how my internet speed went down so much when i moved.

I did move to new apartment and upgraded my router's firmware.

1 minute ago, Aquanet said:

dan's advice was helpful on the compression side.

still don't know how my internet speed went down so much when i moved.

I did move to new apartment and upgraded my router's firmware.

On your ISP side I'd call them and ask them I'd they can run a line test over the phone to see if your router signal to the server is in spec with what is required to maintain the speeds on their network. If they run it and say It's fine, ask them to send a technician out to inspect the lines going into your apartment/house to see What's going on.

50 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

On your ISP side I'd call them and ask them I'd they can run a line test over the phone to see if your router signal to the server is in spec with what is required to maintain the speeds on their network. If they run it and say It's fine, ask them to send a technician out to inspect the lines going into your apartment/house to see What's going on.

called. technician is coming out soon.

sounds like a provisioning issue on my ISPs end when moving my service from my old address to new address. 

thanks for the help everyone.

20 minutes ago, Aquanet said:

called. technician is coming out soon.

sounds like a provisioning issue on my ISPs end when moving my service from my old address to new address. 

thanks for the help everyone.

Weird, because provisioning is usually done at the store level or warehouse level before the techs come and pick up the modem. Anywho, glad we could be of assistance. :)

56 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

The OP owns his own modem, I know this for a fact because Rented SB6141 modems are end of life on their network, only customer owned ones work. So provisioning is done online so to speak. Xfinity will send out a config file with the speed they are provisioning. The modem downloads the Config file and there you go, your up and running. Sounds like a wrong Config file or a line issue. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Good to know, thank you for the info!