Tom's Hardware's custom core i9 de-lidder

Several generations ago, intel had stopped using the solder design between the die and the IHS for all of their processors. This problem didnt help average users and overclockers had limmitations when it came to overclocking. Since intel had switched to the thermal paste design, temperatures on their processors have increased since the switch to the thermal paste design instead of solder. This change only afftected socket 11xx processors. Intel had spared processors with more than four cores but this changed with the new Skylake X platform. Whether you like it or not, thermal paste is now the current design. Since that de-lidding is becoming more and more popular, there are no specific tools on the market that are currently available for de-lidding, then look no further, here is a custom core i9 de-lidder tool that will make your life so much easier when it comes to de-lidding your core i9 CPU.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/780-delidder-intel-core-i9-skylake-x.html#s6

My opinion: I think that this is a great tool that will make the process of de-lidding so much easier. I particularly like the features and design of the de-lidder that help prevent any damage to the CPU and also how it makes the process of de-lidding so much easier. I also think that its a great tool that will save you time and money when it comes to de-lidding your CPU. I dont have the details of pricing or the release date, but it would be interesting on what the price is for this tool.

Here are some images of the prototype:

59b50c93ab387_aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9IL0IvNzA4MjM5L29yaWdpbmFsL0RlbGlkWDI5OV9DMS5wbmc.jpg.ca74e5dddecb9b322cb2880051fc0cb7.jpg59b50db2de732_aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9IL0MvNzA4MjQwL29yaWdpbmFsL0RlbGlkWDI5OV9DMy5wbmc.jpg.55edf6442fdc4623a25e26faf95b2be9.jpg

I paid like 80$ for my LGA115x delid tool and I'm very happy with my purchase, I've delidded many CPUs, even i3s and its enabled me to get away with using absolutely tiny heatsinks.

Like this on a 6700K:

IMG_20170822_122702.thumb.jpg.59d2e11c1f82cc5e39d15e13c2e31172.jpg

And I still had overclocking headroom :D

I'm glad to see that more of these tools are being produced, especially for the high end chips that really honestly need it...

How beautiful it is having to void your warranty and risk damaging your shiny new $1000 CPU in order to get decent temperatures. Thanks Intel, so magnanimous.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

You'd think all this delidding crap would be bad enough press to make them solder them, but apparently not.

I thought der8auer already had one?

Well more competition is better anyways

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Just now, Pohernori said:

I thought der8auer already had one?

He has one, but for whatever reason, he hasn't released it :S

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

He did say that using his own tool still has risks. 

Probably making adjustments to the design at the moment.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Well, 2 things surprise me.

1) you apply force directly to the IHS and not with a lever or something which apparently makes it very difficult to use. The force required is  according to der8auer a LOT so this method is difficult to use.

2) we already know sometimes a few resistors are covered in glue and delidding has the risk of pulling them off the PCB so i have no idea how it can be 100% safe...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

19 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

It's too risky because the chance you knock off a resistor is too big.

Some of them are covered in glue and there's always a chance you pull one off.

I think we'll never see it released or very limited with only customers that are fully aware of the issue.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon