Ryzen r5 1600 or Intel i5-7600 (for gaming)?

Canno

Current PC build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9n3Fjc

I have seen many benchmarks comparing ryzen 1600 to i5 7600. And in every single one i5 7600 wins in game benchmarks. The only thing that ryzen 1600 wins at is stuff like video editing, rendering, etc.. Which is totally irrelevant if you're building a PC for gaming. So, can someone explain, on why all these people are still saying that ryzen 1600 is a much better purchase than i5-7600? Even their price is about the same. Is it just amd fanboys being little bitches?

Ryzen 5 1600 with a B350 board. It's much better than the i5, they have the same averages, but the R5 has much better 1% and 0.1% lows which means that gameplay is smoother ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

For one many of the benchmarks out there were made at launch. The cpu has been heavily optimised since then. Also many newer games are using more than 4 cores and can take advantage of the 12 threads offered.

I honestly haven't seen the i5 win much . Most of the time , it only wins in older title s such as gta5 . New games typically favor the 1600 .

Plus , if we are talking about the locked i5 , then it doesn't make sense at all . 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

14 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I honestly haven't seen the i5 win much . Most of the time , it only wins in older title s such as gta5 . New games typically favor the 1600 .

Plus , if we are talking about the locked i5 , then it doesn't make sense at all . 

These benchmarks are not even that old

17 minutes ago, Canno said:

That's 4 gaming benchmarks won by the 1600 and 3 won by the 7600. With the exception of BF1 , all the games won by the i5 are older , very single threaded titles .

not to mention the productivity benchmarks , which the r5 wins handly.

If anything , you're proving my point.  

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

15 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Hey coax, just fyi, turn down the OC/stick a fan over the VRM.

Buildzoid highly advises having big air flow over the VRM, especially on the Gigabyte 4+3

When OCing R7

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

R5 1600 + Decent B350 and youre good to go.

i5 is bullcrap

12 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Hey coax, just fyi, turn down the OC/stick a fan over the VRM.

Buildzoid highly advises having big air flow over the VRM, especially on the Gigabyte 4+3

They're fine . They're barely reaching 50C under prime95 , and i have a fan blowing on the anyway . Plus , my chip is running on less than 1.3V at 3.8ghz anyway . It's not even that high of an OC .

edit :Scratch that , i was reading the wrong values . I'm still getting 82C under prime95 small FFT , so it's probably OK.

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

They're fine . They're barely reaching 50C under prime95 , and i have a fan blowing on the anyway . Plus , my chip is running on less than 1.3V at 3.8ghz anyway . It's not even that high of an OC .

Oh, well, if you are cooling them then fine.

Just now, dave_k said:

Oh, well, if you are cooling them then fine.

I mean i wouldn't trust the board with a 4ghz OC on 1.5V , but given that i'm not pushing it that hard , i think it's probably OK. Especially considering i rarely push the chip to 100% load anyway.

46 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I mean i wouldn't trust the board with a 4ghz OC on 1.5V , but given that i'm not pushing it that hard , i think it's probably OK. Especially considering i rarely push the chip to 100% load anyway.

Its like one of these cases. Someone gets a recommendation like "buy B350, you dont need SLI and billion satas". These are wrong, because mainly the MSI and GBT boards give the godlike feel even with the lower models, so it ends up like that:

B350 Mobo, usually MSI Tomahawk/its clones or any Gigabyte 4+3, watercooler and R7 overclocked at 1.4ish. Boom. VRMs are dead in a short time (1-1.5yr), if youre lucky, your CPU is still working.

1.3 would be just about the limit of Wraith Spire, plus if you have the fan over the VRM then fine, it will be OK.

The idea of infinite overclocking on any mobo is given by small techtubers, usually Kyle (BW) or Greg (ScumbagStudio).

For example, @LinusTech did a smart thing when they used Crosshair instead of crappyhawk.

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

That's 4 gaming benchmarks won by the 1600 and 3 won by the 7600. With the exception of BF1 , all the games won by the i5 are older , very single threaded titles .

Well, I'm more into playing older games such as overwatch, csgo, tf2 etc. Basically games that people buy for the gameplay and not for the graphics. I'd be playing them with lowest-medium settings even if I had the best specs there are. I'm that kind of person that needs all the fps there is even if a price of having that fps is to deal with shitty graphics.

9 minutes ago, Canno said:

Well, I'm more into playing older games such as overwatch, csgo, tf2 etc. Basically games that people buy for the gameplay and not for the graphics. I'd be playing them with lowest-medium settings even if I had the best specs there are. I'm that kind of person that needs all the fps there is even if a price of having that fps is to deal with shitty graphics.

If you're playing esports games then both of these chips will deliver over 144fps.

2 hours ago, Canno said:

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Benchmarks from a much more reputable source:

TL;DW: The R5 is better in games

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Ryzen 5 1600.  Better price, power efficiency, more cores and overall better benchmarks/results.  Plus the chipset is poised to have more longevity.

At this point an Intel i5 is best for small form factor productivity builds that don't need dedicated graphics.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

11 minutes ago, minervx said:

At this point an Intel i5 is best for small form factor productivity builds that don't need dedicated graphics.

Not really. i5s are 4C/4T CPUs, so they aren't that good for content creation. GPU Acceleration usually helps, so a 1600 with a GT 1030 or a used 750 Ti is a much better option ;)

For a dedicated recording studio, I always recommend an i5 because avoiding a graphics card means a smaller form factor, less cluttered deskspace, less power draw and less fan noise.

For education/business builds, an i5 has more than enough cores and threads.

Ever since Ryzen came out, the definition of productivity has changed and all of a sudden, millions of people are Twitch streamers and 4K Youtubers.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

Wat

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

42 minutes ago, minervx said:

For a dedicated recording studio, I always recommend an i5 because avoiding a graphics card means a smaller form factor, less cluttered deskspace, less power draw and less fan noise.

For education/business builds, an i5 has more than enough cores and threads.

Ever since Ryzen came out, the definition of productivity has changed and all of a sudden, millions of people are Twitch streamers and 4K Youtubers.

a gtx 1050 for example draws around 60w of power, even the low end mediocre PSU can power it

most gpu fan turn off if they do not reach certain temperatures so it will remain totally silent

a smaller form factor means worse cooler (low profile) AND MORE NOISE

since Ryzen 5 1600 costs less or same as an i5, comes with a stock cooler and can be overclocked it is a much better buy in any case

Spoiler

Image result for gtx 1050 power consumption