1070 silicon loterie?

DjxJt13

I have a Strix 1070 o8g, and im wondering how good my overclock is.

I am using EVGA precision x oc and i was able to oc my card to 2126mhz and the memory to 4704 mhz.

power target set to 120%

Temp target set to 91c

GPU clock offset +105

MEM clock offset +700

Voltage to 100%

Can i do better then this? If so what can i tweak to get even more?

1070OC.jpg

That's pretty good, have you stress tested it for a couple of hours cause I can get 2250 on my 1080 but it is not properly stable until I get too 2150?

Well i did heaven and valley for 1h each and everything is fine and then i did test some games : Tera, PUBG, Payday2, Blade and Souls, POE, TombRaider and Overwatch.

No artifacts everything is stable and temps are low.

And thank you for the spelling correction. I am french and still learning, so it is appreciated.

Stress it with tests and play a few games on it. my 1070 will do 2200 mhz in benchmarks and over 9000 effective memory clock but will crash the moment I think about a game 

Well, I guess you already did that.... looks like a lottery win here

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Stop using offsets.  Use the voltage / frequency curve.

When you set an offset overclock, you're allowing the software to create what roughly equates to a stock voltage / frequency curve by itself....it's essentially just raising every point across the curve up by your offset amount. As you can see below, I set an offset of +150 on the slider, but looking at the curve, it set +143. That's because 150 was outside of the 12mhz steps that Pascal uses. Disregard that for a second, and just look at the voltage. See how the curve that it's set, has a voltage for that clock at 1043mv? That's going to allow the GPU to try to run your prescribed clock at that voltage, before it bumps the voltage up. Micro-changes that like inherently cause instability.

0OuqnNB.jpg

Now we'll look at the voltage / frequency curve method. I've set an offset clock of +110, to get my voltage points close, then raised the frequency points for the voltages above 1043mv to higher clocks until I got to the voltage and frequency I was targeting. In this case, the exact same 2164 core clock (+143), except now, it's not going to try to run 1043mv, it's going to go straight to the 1081mv I've prescribed for it to run, and won't go any lower, unless it starts warming up, in which case, it would drop a step and run 2154 @ 1075mv. This GPU is under water, so the likelihood of that happening are slim and none, but.....on air, it could.

K4oqUAd.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

Here

zBTcJc5.jpg

GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

4 minutes ago, DjxJt13 said:

Where is that option? I am new to this program.

Click the Monitoring section bit of Afterburner so the program is in focus/primary application on screen., then hit
CTRL+F and the curve window should show up.

Or use the button as stated by the post above this one.

FYI - My Galax 1070 can only maintain 2075Mhz/4666Mhz,....I can't stay at 2100Mhz but the 25Mhz isn't going to do much...

I'm happy to leave it at 2Ghz/4666Mhz for the lifetime of the GPU. (Maybe one day I'll do the Vcore mod near when I get a replacement GPU)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

As you can see in my screenshot i dont use Afterburner i use EVGA precision.

There's a voltage / frequency curve on it as well.  It's just not laid out as well.  I'm not a fan....so I switched.

3 minutes ago, DjxJt13 said:

As you can see in my screenshot i dont use Afterburner i use EVGA precision.

Those Yellow Arrows are where its at...apparently.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Wen gamming or wen benchmarking the voltage stays at 1.081 and as you can see in my screen shot on the left GPU clock is 2126 stable ( its a flat line ) no variation.

Thank you all for your time and replies. This as been really informative and helpful.

10 minutes ago, DjxJt13 said:

Wen gamming or wen benchmarking the voltage stays at 1.081 and as you can see in my screen shot on the left GPU clock is 2126 stable ( its a flat line ) no variation.

Then you've found a place where the temps aren't high enough, at those clocks / voltages, to make boost 3.0 make any changes.  Create a custom fan curve, and create a voltage / frequency curve that utilized the full voltage, up to 1.093v and you may be able to get some more clock out of it.

Pascal runs better, the cooler it is.  It'll take less voltage to reach a specific clock as the core temps drop.  So, at 70c 2126 needs 1.081v.  But at 50c, it will probably only need 1.075v, thus, opening up more overclocking headroom.  (these numbers are completely arbitrary, and not meant to be any kind of concrete voltage / frequency curve setting at specific temps)

I will try it and post back the result in 3 days of testing. 

10 minutes ago, DjxJt13 said:

I will try it and post back the result in 3 days of testing. 

I have FE edition and i was able to OC it to 2175 MHz core clock and 4550Mhz memory, absolutely stable, with 45*C temps at full load after 2 hours with 25*C in the room (custom WC loop). So thats a nice OC you have there.

I didnt play with the curve yet though.

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

Right now i am testing playing around with the curve and i might be able to make it stable at 2138 but it will take some testing to see if its stable. At 2138 i reach 1.093v. Oh and i am air cool with the stock cooler on it.

So i did not manage to get it stable at 2138mhz. I went back to my stable 2126 mhz.

I have hit 2156mhz on my asus 1070 8gb its stable but like 90% meaning it will benchmark some bench marks and run some games but not ALL benchmarks or games so not 100% stable, I then push it back to 2050 and keep it as that :D

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8

Yoo^^ Ignore that old fart Heaven, and Valley. They do NOT indicate GPU stability.

Use Firestrike. I found that out, when i played with OC around. Valley stable, everything good.

Firestrike didn't even start, and imediately crashed.

If you're firestrike stable, then keep doing game tests. Witcher 3, Skellige forest, in 4k Ultra works very good. If your Card isnt fully stable, it will most likely crash there^^

@ Memory: +700 sounds good :) But please, test if you don't get higher Benchmark numbers / fps, if you use +500 Mhz only, or 450, or 550, or 600~ something like that.

If you Push the Memory too much, the Error correction will be active more at some point. And even if it runs stable, you have LESS performance. (or better said: The Performance will start decreasing again)

And @ OC in general: 

Might be interesting to read it.

On 9/7/2017 at 0:37 AM, Vellinious said:

Stop using offsets.  Use the voltage / frequency curve.

When you set an offset overclock, you're allowing the software to create what roughly equates to a stock voltage / frequency curve by itself....it's essentially just raising every point across the curve up by your offset amount. As you can see below, I set an offset of +150 on the slider, but looking at the curve, it set +143. That's because 150 was outside of the 12mhz steps that Pascal uses. Disregard that for a second, and just look at the voltage. See how the curve that it's set, has a voltage for that clock at 1043mv? That's going to allow the GPU to try to run your prescribed clock at that voltage, before it bumps the voltage up. Micro-changes that like inherently cause instability.

0OuqnNB.jpg

Now we'll look at the voltage / frequency curve method. I've set an offset clock of +110, to get my voltage points close, then raised the frequency points for the voltages above 1043mv to higher clocks until I got to the voltage and frequency I was targeting. In this case, the exact same 2164 core clock (+143), except now, it's not going to try to run 1043mv, it's going to go straight to the 1081mv I've prescribed for it to run, and won't go any lower, unless it starts warming up, in which case, it would drop a step and run 2154 @ 1075mv. This GPU is under water, so the likelihood of that happening are slim and none, but.....on air, it could.

K4oqUAd.jpg

Didn't know this about MSIAB. I've noticed the stutter-steps in voltages but didn't think much of it. I'm sorta new to overclocking and have had good results, but dont understand the little details. I don't have such a high-end card (RX 460 in my case) but would this kind of setting help my situation with artifacting at higher clocks? Asking for benchmarking purposes.

Thanks for the read!