just a quick math question..

AniJan

compound equalities:

x>3 or x<7

what does that mean? (yes i can search it up, but the way most sites word their explanations, it sounds complex..)

Also:

-I can't ask the teacher because she only helps with things related to our unit. I'm in 8th grade reviewing algebra 1

-this is not obligated homework, i'm doing this as a way to learn ahead. i use khan academy

-i understand this is not a math forum, but i'm hoping @Dash Lambda can help since he seems happy to help with math related stuff

I'm sorry for being so attached to Off-Topic topics because i know it seems irritating for someone to abuse the off topic section in a tech forum. ill try to post more of it somewhere else.

It just means that the value of x is greater than 3 or less than seven, but not both.

So for X>3, the value of x would have to be a number that is greater than 7 because it can be both greater than 3 and less then 7. And for x<7, the value of x would have to be less than 3 because it can't greater than 3 and less than 7.

If you need anymore help with math you can DM me hear or on discord. My discord is Spirit_Rider20#3886

A good way to understand them is to just think of shading a number line. You just shade in each inequality individually.

If it's a compound inequality joined with "or," then x can be in any shaded region -But if it's joined by "and," x can only be within the overlapping regions.

2 hours ago, Ethan_Carter125 said:

-snip-

From Khan Academy, "or" is only inclusive, not exclusive. I don't really like such imprecise language (I mean, in math we have IFF, or "If and Only If," out of necessity), but that's what Khan Academy says, and that's what the OP's using.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.