Does Ambient Temp Make A Difference?

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,
1 minute ago, xovague said:

So since my ambient temp is now 20+ degrees hotter than I'm use to having it at, I'm showing a 20+ degree increase? So I probably did achieve the 20C drop with the delid but I won't be able to tell till I get the A/C fixed?

If your ambient temps went up by 20C then your max and min temps will go up by 20C.

So once you get the AC fixed and remove that 20C increase in ambient temps then you'll probably see temps around 54C

Setup

i7-7700k OC 4.8ghz (1.235V)

ASUS Strix Z270F Motherboard

NZXT Kraken X62 Water Cooler

Okay so I just delided my CPU, and before I did this I was use to seeing max temps of around 74-79C Max running AIDA64 (FPU) with an ambient temp of around 18-20C

After I had finished my delid, I was unfortunate that my A/C went out and my house now sits around 30-34C which is like either High 80's to Mid 90's and after doing the same AIDA64 test I'm getting max temps of around 74C (Also my Radiator Liquid Temp was reading 33C, and the CPU was idling at 34-38C, usually I idle at around 29-31C with good ambient temps and before delid)

What I'm trying to figure out is do you guys think I could had done a bad delid? Or do you guys think it's cause my ambient temp is too hot? I can't really test it out until Tuesday when the A/C unit gets replaced.

I cleaned both the IHS and the die to make sure the silicone and thermal paste was removed completely, I applied a very small amount of Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly) not a lot but enough to cover the die completely, I applied I thin layer of RTV Gasket Silicone around the IHS leaving a decent gap at the top of the IHS so heat can escape.

*I do understand the gap between the IHS and Die is important but with the amount of RTV gasket I applied it shouldn't be an issue, even with the alignment tool pressed down for 6 hours barely any squeezed out which indicates it was pretty thin (Finger tight pressure was applied when using the alignment tool)

Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the paste and silicone application but these pictures will show here was no damage to the Die and that there was no Silicone left on the Chip & IHS

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

10900k 5.0ghz OC | ASUS Strix Z490 | NVIDIA 4090 FE | 4x16GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (3200MHz)

Ambient temps are pretty much the lowest you can go for standard cooling, they also will have an impact on the temperatures since if it starts out hotter then the delta will be higher.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

surrounding temps can make a big difference. The higher the temperature difference, the better the cooling.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Ambient temps and your PC's load temps scale perfectly, it's the reason you'll often see in reviews that temperatures are given as degrees over ambient. Assuming fan percentage stays the same, a 10C ambient increase will cause a 10C CPU temp increase, for example.

1 minute ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Ambient temps and your PC's load temps scale perfectly, it's the reason you'll often see in reviews that temperatures are given as degrees over ambient. Assuming fan percentage stays the same, a 10C ambient increase will cause a 10C CPU temp increase, for example.

So since my ambient temp is now 20+ degrees hotter than I'm use to having it at, I'm showing a 20+ degree increase? So I probably did achieve the 20C drop with the delid but I won't be able to tell till I get the A/C fixed?

10900k 5.0ghz OC | ASUS Strix Z490 | NVIDIA 4090 FE | 4x16GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (3200MHz)

1 minute ago, xovague said:

If your ambient temps went up by 20C then your max and min temps will go up by 20C.

So once you get the AC fixed and remove that 20C increase in ambient temps then you'll probably see temps around 54C

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, xovague said:

Pretty much. 

to find out if you did it good take the CPU temp - ambient temp and do it for both before and after temps. to compare CPU temperatures you should calculate it like that because the ambiant has an impact

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Beautiful okay well I guess I'll find out 100% on Tuesday I appreciate the help just was a little worried I had done something wrong with the delid, I'm kind of out of liquid metal so I just wanted to make sure before I ordered more to try the delid again.

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

to find out if you did it good take the CPU temp - ambient temp and do it for both before and after temps. to compare CPU temperatures you should calculate it like that because the ambiant has an impact

I only ran AIDA64 for like a minute just to see what it would hit, but once I get the ambient down and run the test I'm sure I'll see the results I'm looking for with the delid

questions like these is why we should stop using temperature as a cooler performance metric, but rather should use the temperature delta over ambient. if ambient goes up by X °c, your temperature measurements will go up by X °c. the delta between ambient and measurements will stay the same however.

you can "cancel out" changes in ambient temperature by measuring ambient while measuring the other stuff, and then just substracting ambient temperature to get your delta, and at the end of the ride just comparing the delta's.

the fact this question keeps popping up means there's a problem with how we use these metrics.

36 minutes ago, manikyath said:

questions like these is why we should stop using temperature as a cooler performance metric, but rather should use the temperature delta over ambient. if ambient goes up by X °c, your temperature measurements will go up by X °c. the delta between ambient and measurements will stay the same however.

you can "cancel out" changes in ambient temperature by measuring ambient while measuring the other stuff, and then just substracting ambient temperature to get your delta, and at the end of the ride just comparing the delta's.

the fact this question keeps popping up means there's a problem with how we use these metrics.

I understand what you mean but when it comes to delidding you can get any C drop from 10-20C I also didn't expect the A/C to go out, so it's hard to calculate where I should be around and to determine if I had a successful delid or not. Right now it's still on a hunch of what my improvement will be for my delid until the proper testing can be done.

I took in account that I was receiving 74-78C before delid with an adaquate ambient temp, but with delidding I had no idea if this was good to see with a high ambient or not, I somewhat expected higher temp readings because of my ambient temp but I wanted to make sure this wasn't a delid issue.